Report any bugs you discover on the server here
Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Footstool (LOS) Bug

Post by Kelektra »

Attempting to make stairs as usual in a house

Lock down first stool. Walk on it.. Everything is fine
Proceed to next tile.. Place 3 stools..Lock down top one. Unable to pick up 2 stools under it
I have even attempted to "come back down" off stools to tile next to them. Still unable to pick them up from under the top stool.
Stool.JPG
Stool.JPG (75.29 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
Shards Only T-Map Validation System viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24446

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Footstool (LOS) Bug

Post by nightshark »

Derrick said in another thread that this is intended due to a locked down stool being considered a floor surface, which causes you to lose LOS to anything under the "floor".
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kelektra »

But this would make it virtually impossible to make stairs to keep and castles roof which was completely era accurate.

fox_phyre
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by fox_phyre »

Derrick wrote: Footstools are an interesting item, they are flagged as surfaces, and as such you can walk on them. They behave as floors, so if they are on top of your cloth, the cloth is essentially under a floor; you will not be able to reach it. You should be able to see the cloth, footstools do not block like of sight, but you will not be able to actually pick it up.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24063

My complaint from the other thread
Visit my shop in Yew! First house west of Yew Moongate, always stocked!
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64975

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Kelektra wrote:But this would make it virtually impossible to make stairs to keep and castles roof which was completely era accurate.
Really? I don't think I ever saw or heard of a staircase to a castle roof in 1999.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Just tested this on OSI.

You can indeed pull up stools from under locked stools.

Mike you can build staircases on OSI, its legit.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Looking into this; thanks.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Rose wrote:Just tested this on OSI.

You can indeed pull up stools from under locked stools.

Mike you can build staircases on OSI, its legit.
now, but during t2a?...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The behavor of this item is entirely related to the flags assigned to it. I could compare flags, but it may be more certain to create some non movable footstools on the demo and test this.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

On OSI in era, house lockdowns did not work like they do here. On this shard, for example, I can stack 3 tables, put something on top of them and lock it down. When I remove the tables, the item is now floating. If I tried the same thing on OSI in era, the item would drop to the floor. There was a trick to getting around this (at least, during UO:R) where you would drop death robes on the ground, put your item on top of them and then lock down that item. When the death robe decayed, your item was now floating.

Taking this into consideration, it was possible to raise the Z-axis, but was it possible to raise the Z-Axis as high as you can here? I'm not really sure how staircases are made, but I think I get the general idea of it. Would it be possible to even build them out of death robes and footstools? Wasn't there a max height of items on a single tile that would disallow you to raise the z-axis that high?
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Kelektra wrote:But this would make it virtually impossible to make stairs to keep and castles roof which was completely era accurate.
The key is to remove the items under the footstool before locking it down -- particularly the topmost, since it can be locked down to remove any others first. This item can be removed if chosen appropriately, while still preventing the un-lockeddown footstool from falling.
  • newbie items or body parts: It will float once decayed.
  • uncooked food: Will float once cooked (and placed into your backpack) or failed (and deleted). (Use a heating stand, it's portable.)
  • cooked food: Will float once eaten (come hungry).
  • destroyable items (crates, furniture, etc.): Will float once axed.
  • etc.
nightshark wrote:On OSI in era, house lockdowns did not work like they do here. On this shard, for example, I can stack 3 tables, put something on top of them and lock it down. When I remove the tables, the item is now floating. If I tried the same thing on OSI in era, the item would drop to the floor. There was a trick to getting around this (at least, during UO:R) where you would drop death robes on the ground, put your item on top of them and then lock down that item. When the death robe decayed, your item was now floating.
(Forgive the length, I got carried away.)

As annoying as it could be, I think you're right about the items dropping if the items under it were moved -- even when locked down. However, it appears this is only if the item directly underneath it (z - 1) was moved, which is why floating items with death robes (or other decayable items) worked.
Mar 26 1999 wrote: Stack tables/items to the desired height and put a chopped up body part
on top of them. Now place your item on top of the body part. When it
decays lock the item down and remove the other items - The desired
"hanging" item is now "hanging"
Worked into UOR.
Jul 5 2000 wrote:You need the lantern, a bookcase, three fish steaks, and a death
robe (you could use other items besides a bookcase and
fishsteaks, but these items are of the right height). Whereever
you want to place, stack the shelves, the fishsteaks, the
deathrobe, and then the lantern. Lock down the lantern, and let
the deathrobe decay... you can then pick up the fishsteaks and
shelves, and go onto the next lantern.
Appears to be early UOR, but gives a better explanation how it works.
Andrea's wrote:13. Now in this picture the newbie coin has decayed and everything is almost ready. What has happened is that since there is no longer an item between the fishsteaks and torch, there is mere space, and the torch is in no way touching the fishsteaks anymore. It is now safe to remove the fish steaks from underneath because they cannot "drop" the torch since they are not touching it.
This one is more interesting in that it doesn't rely on item decay, but stresses that the order items are removed is critical. Falling gold appears not to have caused higher items to drop at this point? No idea.
Jun 28 1999 wrote:Hmm not sure about paintings but hanging a clock I know. It may be
similar you can try it.

1. Place small table no 1
2. Place small table no 2 on top
3. Place 6 gold coins on table 2
4. Place Painting on coins
5. Lock down painting
6. Remove table 1 then table 2 then the gold. (order is important)
All decayables and another weird one involving gold.
Mar 26 1999 wrote:Either you stack a lot of body parts on top of each other and put the item
on it, then lock it down (the body parts decay and the item stays at the
height) or you use a 6 gold pieces pile, put the item on top of it, remove a
single coin and then the rest...(ohh..using a table makes the thing
easier...)
nightshark wrote:Taking this into consideration, it was possible to raise the Z-axis, but was it possible to raise the Z-Axis as high as you can here? I'm not really sure how staircases are made, but I think I get the general idea of it. Would it be possible to even build them out of death robes and footstools? Wasn't there a max height of items on a single tile that would disallow you to raise the z-axis that high?
I doubt this would really cause any more work for raising footstools than we have right now. Worst case:

Starting with a locked down footstool:
  1. place a death robe then the upper footstool (will be placed on the highest surface -- the locked down footstool)
  2. once the death robe decays, release and remove lower footstool (no surfaces above, thus no LOS issue; there is space between footstools, so the upper shouldn't fall)
  3. lock down the upper footstool
Repeat as necessary.

What I'm interested in:
  • This could apparently allow lockdowns on steps at any reachable height -- higher or lower than where people put keyrings now. Easy to drop the items lower once locked down, but you should also be able to stair-step your way above this with some difficulty assuming you can do the former.
  • Would non-owners/coowners/friends be able to "drop" these floating items? I couldn't find anything that addressed that.

Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kelektra »

Derrick any update on the fix for this? I thought we were attempting to use the same LOS system as the one on OSI which as means you would be able to take anything out from under a locked down stool.

Also side note to further complicate things here is a picture of the issue.

Basically once the Stool is a certain height you are able to take stuff out from underneath. It would just seem that is should be the same on matter what height the stoll is to be able to take or Not take stuff from under it.
stools.JPG
stools.JPG (84.99 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Return to “In Game Bug Reports”