Training time & questions on Starting

Moderator: Support Moderators

Azural Kane

Training time & questions on Starting

Post by Azural Kane »

I'm curious how long general training time is here compared to other shards? Faster or slower?

Also curious on some good ways to get started making gold for training, etc, should I start with a general mage, or go tamer? It's been so long since I've played strict old school templates and such like this :)

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Training time & questions on Starting

Post by Mikel123 »

It's extremely difficult to make your first character a tamer.

One of the best ways to get started is to make a bard. Start with 50 Magery, 49 something, 1 Musicianship (for the free, newbie instrument), and macro up Music and Provocation. With GM in each of those, you're a pretty potent offensive force, and can amass gp pretty quickly.

Personally, I always like to begin with a warrior, fighting in the Britain graveyard. Start with 50 Magery, 49 Healing, 1 in your weapon skill of choice. The skeletons give bone armor, which is quite handy for new players. Once I have a bit of gold in the bank and some decent skills, I buy a recall scroll for my spellbook and a rune to Deceit and maybe a silver weapon or two, and head over there. The gold comes quicker, and on the upper levels of Deceit the PK threat is pretty low. Probably not as fast at making money as a provoker, but it's more exciting to me at least.

Skill gain overall is pretty fast if you know what you're doing (i.e. read these forums for tips).

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Actually now that I think about it, I might suggest a warrior. For about 25k, you can realistically GM your weapon skill, Tactics, and Healing. About 20k of that goes towards bandages, and the rest goes towards hiring a paladin (search the forums for info on how to hit him without him hitting you back!) and a couple of flimsy weapons for yourself (skinning knife, wand, etc., to do as little damage to the paladin as possible, so you use fewer bandages healing him).

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Don't know what shard you want to compare it to, but skill gain here is slow compared to most freeshards, and I'd say a little faster than it was during this era on OSI. However, you have razor that can help you macro several skills in a couple of days, and have a finished template in a week.

Couple of good ways to get started:

1.- A crafter/gatherer. Gather cotton/wool to make cloth and sell to NPC's. Mine Ore, make ingots, sell ingots to players. Make a fletcher and make bows (I hear there's good money in this, I've never done it myself). Lumberjack, sell boards.

2.- Make a bard. Start a character with 50 magery, 49 med, 1 music; 10 STR, 60 INT, 10 DEX. Start in any town EXCEPT Britain. Buy a shephard's crook, go to an isolated part of town and set up a herding macro overnight. Include eval int. in the same macro. This will help you raise STATS (your goal is 100 STR, 100 INT, 25 DEX), and a bit of eval. After this, go to a stable / zoo (try to steer clear from Moonglow Zoo and Britain stables), set up a musicianship / provocation macro overnight. This will give you an at least half-functioning bard to start making money. Invest a bit more time to GM Eval, Music, Provocation, Magery, Meditation, Resist and Wrestling. You now have a full bard to make money, in a day or two you'll have enough to train any other template.

Tamers take a looong time to be effective, but do make great money.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Alexandria Rose
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alexandria Rose »

Pirul Has it Right #1 Crafter - SAFEST, easiest, quickest way to $$$. EX: My first Char on this shard- Miner\Smith\Tink - Had 50k in 2 weeks by minig iron, smithing ring tunics (bout 500 of em) and selling to npc. Bought a house deed and placed near mountains, another 2weeks to GM smith. Sure a bit boring but now i am Banking on Ring Tunics (npc)- Repairs - GM suits for Guilds and have tons of $$ for reagents and GM arms for my new hero.

Good Luck
It Happens

Naughtington
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Naughtington »

I have always started as a miner, but I wouldn't recommend it here. I suggest making a mage/resist character and take up fishing. Get a boat ASAP and start bringing in MIB's. You can GM a fisher in about 4-5 days and within a week be bringing in 30k a day if you don't fish up the chests, more if you do. That money will allow you to develop the mage/resist side of this character and you'll be rolling in dough and vanq weapons in no time. Then you can make whatever type of character you want to play.

Just my opinion. =)

Return to “New Player Help”