New Player; random questions

Moderator: Support Moderators

Sadistica

New Player; random questions

Post by Sadistica »

So I'm finally starting to get myself established here... I was able to mine enough to purchase a small house deed and then lucky enough to place it in a spot I think will fit a nice big house later on when I can afford one. In my off hours I've been macroing up a bard and he is starting to look real fun to play (compared to mining, gahhhhhhhhh... I'm sure anything would). So I've got some questions:

1) My bard is very new still (GM music, 94 Provoke, 60 Magery... about the only things worth mentioning) and I was wondering if anyone can recommend some nice mediocre spots for me to hunt with what limited skills my bard has. Nothing fancy... I am just wondering if I can pull in the same amount of cash (if not more) as my mining (roughly ~8k/hr)... because mining gets boring fast. Hah.

2) When does the server reset? And how long is the reset for?

3) My bard will have the fishing skill as well... I've been having some difficulties even getting fishing started..., for a newbie character with low skills, would fishing be very profitable??? Or would I be better off barding in a mediocre area? The plus side to fishing is that it looks to be inexpensive to GM, although a lot of time to put in.

Dagon

Re: New Player; random questions

Post by Dagon »

I have no suggestions for barding..

Last save is at 7AM EST, and server goes down at 715 for 5-10 minutes.

As for fishing, there's essentially no profit until you are GM and spend the time getting MIB's.. which some will argue is still not as good as an hour of hunting or whatever.

fox_phyre
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by fox_phyre »

Maybe an Orc fort or the northern territories spawn (maybe around wrong/ ice dungeon latitudes) Could always kill harpies I guess, or some fire eles

He's right in the server downtime, but I've seen it down for 20 min + before.

You could try making multiple fishermen and GMing them all, because there is little money till GM
Visit my shop in Yew! First house west of Yew Moongate, always stocked!
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64975

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I'd bard in Hythloth level 3 with the Daemons and Balron. It's a pretty highly-frequented spawn, but daemons rip each other apart pretty quickly. You can absolutely make more gold/hour there than you can mining.

fox_phyre
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by fox_phyre »

Mikel123 wrote:I'd bard in Hythloth level 3 with the Daemons and Balron. It's a pretty highly-frequented spawn, but daemons rip each other apart pretty quickly. You can absolutely make more gold/hour there than you can mining.
This person is new, how do you expect them to survive with the skills they mentioned

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I think it's plenty doable.

I guess if you want to be more conservative, you could run around Shame level 1 and provoke Earth Elementals and Scorpions, and you at least don't have to worry about getting spells cast upon you. But the gold on those guys is pretty low.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Sadistica wrote:1) My bard is very new still (GM music, 94 Provoke, 60 Magery... about the only things worth mentioning) and I was wondering if anyone can recommend some nice mediocre spots for me to hunt with what limited skills my bard has. Nothing fancy... I am just wondering if I can pull in the same amount of cash (if not more) as my mining (roughly ~8k/hr)... because mining gets boring fast. Hah.
Depending on your skill, but if you're very skilled, you could do Ophid Lair and Thera Keep (hardly will need magic other than for cures/heals, with the speed of spawn). If your skill is moderate, but above average, you could probably do Titan Valley or Ice Fiends. If you'd rather stay on the safe side, yeah, do Orc Forts, Shame (levels 1 and 2), and Cove Harpies. Any of those should yield more than 8k an hour.

Also, 8k = 1.1k of each e-bolt reg. Do yourself a favor, hunt for an hour, get the 8k, buy the regs, and macro magery/med/resist with those 1.1k e-bolts. That should get you over 70 magery skill and you won't miss recalls, will be able to cast a finishing e-bolt if needed, etc. THEN you'll be able to take on the tougher spawn with less skill required.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

fox_phyre
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by fox_phyre »

Pirul wrote:
Sadistica wrote:1) My bard is very new still (GM music, 94 Provoke, 60 Magery... about the only things worth mentioning) and I was wondering if anyone can recommend some nice mediocre spots for me to hunt with what limited skills my bard has. Nothing fancy... I am just wondering if I can pull in the same amount of cash (if not more) as my mining (roughly ~8k/hr)... because mining gets boring fast. Hah.
Depending on your skill, but if you're very skilled, you could do Ophid Lair and Thera Keep (hardly will need magic other than for cures/heals, with the speed of spawn). If your skill is moderate, but above average, you could probably do Titan Valley or Ice Fiends. If you'd rather stay on the safe side, yeah, do Orc Forts, Shame (levels 1 and 2), and Cove Harpies. Any of those should yield more than 8k an hour.

Also, 8k = 1.1k of each e-bolt reg. Do yourself a favor, hunt for an hour, get the 8k, buy the regs, and macro magery/med/resist with those 1.1k e-bolts. That should get you over 70 magery skill and you won't miss recalls, will be able to cast a finishing e-bolt if needed, etc. THEN you'll be able to take on the tougher spawn with less skill required.
+1 to my boy pirul, good advice here all around. Also macro eval (its free) and maybe wrestling if you have some bandies, a dexxer, and a paladin if you feel like it, wrestling is fast easy and very useful for running from pks.

Return to “New Player Help”