Nightmare colors not era accurate

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Ripplinger

Nightmare colors not era accurate

Post by Ripplinger »

There were 4 color/type combinations. Black with long or short mane, and grey with long or short mane.

I don't think I've ever seen a black with short mane yet. Do they exist on this server? Not that I even like them, I hated the short manes even on regular horses and would never tame them, but it was era accurate to have the ugly things.
Last edited by Ripplinger on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Nightmare color question

Post by Biohazard »

Ripplinger wrote:There were 4 color/type combinations. Black with long or short mane, and grey with long or short mane.
I never even noticed there were different length manes.

Sexy Smithy

Post by Sexy Smithy »

Yeah, i'm pretty sure that was true. I thought there was some talk of it awhile back...
Special Projects Minion.

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

I hunted through all my old images for one, but like I said, I never liked the short manes so those were the first I gave away, so didn't have any images of short manes at all.

But I'm 100% certain they were spawning in that color choice also, pure black with a short mane.

Edit: Dug through all my old screenshots and couldn't find anything. I was initially wondering if maybe I just hadn't run across that color combination yet with the RNG and hoping someone would post they have one, but seems they don't spawn on this server as they should. I'll change the subject and maybe it'll catch Derrick's attention. If he can take away our blue sandals for era accuracy, I'm sure he'll want to give us correct nightmare colors too! :lol:

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Nightmare colors not era accurate

Post by Light Shade »

[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

Found one finally! Had some old 4GB drives laying around that were replaced and hooked them up and found one that I had given to a friend from a treasure hunt.

The original image is dated August 10, 1999, which is the first image (and I'm cringing at the thought of playing on a 640 res screen).

2nd image, I enlarged just the nightmare area so it's clearer which mane is on the black mare.

And 3rd image, same nightmare area with gamma raised so it's very clear that the nightmare has the short mane.
Attachments
Full screen unaltered image.
Full screen unaltered image.
BlackShortManeFull.jpg (211.79 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
I enlarged just the black mare so you can see the mane easier.
I enlarged just the black mare so you can see the mane easier.
BlackShortMane1.jpg (119.79 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
And here I also raised the gamma on the same cropped image so it's very easy to see it's a short mane on this nightmare.
And here I also raised the gamma on the same cropped image so it's very easy to see it's a short mane on this nightmare.
BlackShortMane2.jpg (143.07 KiB) Viewed 4048 times

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

There are all four varieties of nightmare on UOSA.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

I have yet to see a black with short mane on the server though, and noone in this thread has seen one either. You're certain they actually do spawn? That was my first guess, just bad luck with seeing them, but after seeing at least 30 wild nightmares, plus all that I see characters riding, you would think at least one of them would have been black with the short mane, no?

I'll keep looking though and still watching characters on nightmares.

Jorel

Post by Jorel »

To be honest i have never seen a Pure with a short mane here either.

rouss

Post by rouss »

Ripplinger wrote:Found one finally! Had some old 4GB drives laying around that were replaced and hooked them up and found one that I had given to a friend from a treasure hunt.

The original image is dated August 10, 1999, which is the first image (and I'm cringing at the thought of playing on a 640 res screen).

2nd image, I enlarged just the nightmare area so it's clearer which mane is on the black mare.

And 3rd image, same nightmare area with gamma raised so it's very clear that the nightmare has the short mane.
do you mind uploading all of your screenies from era somewhere? (this would help find other inaccuracies)
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Sexy Smithy

Post by Sexy Smithy »

I have never seen a short mane pure on UOSA.
Special Projects Minion.

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

rouss wrote:do you mind uploading all of your screenies from era somewhere? (this would help find other inaccuracies)
A lot of them are absolutely useless for anything, like a lot of house screenshots with various furniture placement, and it would really take up a huge chunk of room someplace. I read the era accuracy posts often, and if there's anything I see that I can prove one way or the other with any screenshots I might have, I'll dig them out and post them as needed. I've also been careful to not re-save any images accidentally when open so the original date doesn't get overwritten, that's been very useful to have here.

Klapios

Post by Klapios »

Jorel wrote:To be honest i have never seen a Pure with a short mane here either.
I have, I tamed one some days ago. I just sold it today and I made sure that the buyer saw the difference as well. Its not as obvious as the screenshot ripplinger posted but more subtle like the picture from the Taming Archive. I didn't even notice it at first until I refreshed my stable and noticed that one of my shortmane mares was darker.

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

The original mares during T2A were just as black as the black with long manes. It sounds like you've seen a slight variation of a grey shade, not a pure black as it should look.

Faust

Post by Faust »

There are three horse animations in UO... A white, light brown, and dark brown style. When you hue it up with the dark balron color you get three different types and shades of a nightmare.

The concept is pretty simple.