IRC Attitudes

Topics related to Second Age
Draconis

IRC Attitudes

Post by Draconis »

If someone is asking for legit help or advice in IRC, whats the purpose of even responding if all you are going to do is make smart ass remarks? Does it make you feel better about yourself? My guess is that it's probably teenagers, which I highly doubt, or old fat bitter divorced people who have troubles in real life making friends or interacting with people. I'm not saying everyone in IRC is like that, but I have yet to get a decent response from anyone.

Klapios

Re: IRC Attitudes

Post by Klapios »

Draconis wrote: My guess is that it's probably teenagers, which I highly doubt, or old fat bitter divorced people who have troubles in real life making friends or interacting with people.
Is there a term for making comments like this on the internet? Cause there should be.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Draconis wrote:If someone is asking for legit help or advice in IRC, whats the purpose of even responding if all you are going to do is make smart ass remarks? Does it make you feel better about yourself? My guess is that it's probably teenagers, which I highly doubt, or old fat bitter divorced people who have troubles in real life making friends or interacting with people. I'm not saying everyone in IRC is like that, but I have yet to get a decent response from anyone.

Many people have wondered that I do not IRC. I have never IRCed, and your post describes the exact expected behaviour justifying my posture.

In RL, a lot of my acquaintances wonder that I don't facepalm, or be a twit; I direct all of these folks to view a certain South Park episode (my own attitude predates the episode, of course).

In any environment that allows people to freely communicate, do not expect any cogency or intelligence, simply noise; this is why most or all of the guilds that use IRC for communication host their own channel.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

There are plenty of people that will help you in irc.

The internet has trolls, not news.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

It's the age of the internet where the little kiddies (and sadly some adults as well) feel they can act like asses all they want.

That attitude, coupled with the destruction of the English language along with it until my eyes start to bleed, is why I'll never join IRC for any game either.

SJane3384
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SJane3384 »

I'm sorry you've had a bad couple of experiences, but there really are a lot of people willing to help in IRC. Darkwing, Blackfoot, myself, Halogen, and even sarcastic turds like Panthor have thrown out some decent answers. Whenever I'm in IRC (late night, early morning as the exceptions), I see at least 1-2 noobs in there asking questions and getting legit answers. What kind of questions are you asking? If they're ridiculous things that are quickly answered by the Wiki or a forum search, then I guess I can understand their point of view (though I just generally direct people to said places).

Random aside:
Sorry about misspelling your name, DW. Fixed.
Dolphins are NOT era accurate, and MUST be banned!
Sign my PETITION!

Tyran

Post by Tyran »

I have to say, when I ask a question on IRC I typically get a quick, correct response. I've not asked a ton of questions since getting back though, but the ones I have I've been pleased with the results.

Freeza

Post by Freeza »

SJane3384 wrote:I'm sorry you've had a bad couple of experiences, but there really are a lot of people willing to help in IRC. Darkwing, Blackfoot, myself, Halogen, and even sarcastic turds like Panthor have thrown out some decent answers. Whenever I'm in IRC (late night, early morning as the exceptions), I see at least 1-2 noobs in there asking questions and getting legit answers. What kind of questions are you asking? If they're ridiculous things that are quickly answered by the Wiki or a forum search, then I guess I can understand their point of view (though I just generally direct people to said places).

Random aside:
Sorry about misspelling your name, DW. Fixed.
When you state Darkwing is willing to help, do you mean by him spamming !rules?
That has yet to help me ;)
Markmosthandsome wrote:
Finesse wrote:-f- disbanded no comment.
lol wtf I'm in the guild and Idk what's going on....

<Pristiq> Shut up prodigy you anti-intellectual simian.

voodoo

Post by voodoo »

The whole community has an all-around terrible attitude, though we will deny it adamantly if confronted about it.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

voodoo wrote:The whole community has an all-around terrible attitude, though we will deny it adamantly if confronted about it.
Dripping with pretension.

That said, I think the UOSA community has as diverse a range of personalities as any online community.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

voodoo

Post by voodoo »

BobDobbs wrote:
voodoo wrote:The whole community has an all-around terrible attitude, though we will deny it adamantly if confronted about it.
I never said I was above holding a terrible attitude. When in Rome, do as the Romans, my momma always used to say!

Edit: Of course, there are nice people in the community too, but a lot of people here honestly come off as dicks (especially when you're new).

Smelly Ira
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Smelly Ira »

Haven't been active for a while, but I remember the ratio as something like six obnoxious smartass responses for every one legitimate answer.

That said, I always got the answer I was looking for in #secondage, it was just a question of whether it was worth wading through the rest of the idiocy to find it.

Think about it this way: there are some people whose general commentary, writing skill, and attitude is such that whether they are answering you, or bickering with someone else, the things they say will always be neanderthal garbage.

So you should just ask your questions, wade through the crap, and try to ignore it. There are plenty of people on the shard who are helpful and will answer questions, they are just less visible because the asshats are so much louder.

SJane3384
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SJane3384 »

I think it's about 50/50. Sure, we've got our sarcastic assholes, and hardcore scammers, but we've also got tons of people who dedicate a lot of their free time to specifically helping new players. There's what? 3-4 guilds/towns for new players now? There's also #new in IRC. I just think it's unfair to make the uniform statement that ALL people in IRC are jerks. And I'm pretty offended, becaus I generally try to be very helpful.

And Freeza, maybe stop blatently disreguarding the rules?
Dolphins are NOT era accurate, and MUST be banned!
Sign my PETITION!

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

I have rarely, if ever, seen a legitimate question go unanswered in #secondage.

I disagree completely with the entire premise of this thread.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

BossChick

Post by BossChick »

BobDobbs wrote:

That said, I think the UOSA community has as diverse a range of personalities as any online community.
pot calling kettle black. you literally made me into the troll i am. lol