Fletchers

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kry

Fletchers

Post by Kry »

I know this is all about being as accurate as possible to the original game, however, there was one major flaw in the original... fletching and bowyer... we can not fix bows...yet a black smith can fix weapons. I know in later versions of UO they fixed that.... can we add to the fletchers of the world..the skill to fix bows and xbows?

as it stands now only blacksmiths can fix heavy crossbows.

Thanks

Populus

Re: Fletchers

Post by Populus »

Sell the bow to a vendor and then buy it back. I heard that will repair it.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Kry wrote: as it stands now only blacksmiths can fix heavy crossbows.

Thanks
Which is era-accurate.

If you allow fletchers to repair bows, then you must allow carpenters to fix quarterstaves. You then must allow tailors to fix leather armor and Moonstones to fix the PK's.

SkunkDave

Post by SkunkDave »

I understand your argument Matron, but we also have to ask ourselves if OSI succeeded in making the game they wanted to make. I think there is plenty of documentation to say no, they did not.

Is repairing bows impossible because it is infeasible to "mend steamed and bent oak" or because it was an oversight? I agree that we have to be careful with what we change, but your example of leather armor lends fuel to the argument itself. It is completely logical that leather can be restitched using new material (just like blacksmiths can repair weapons, magical or otherwise if I remember correctly). What the current system encourages is for people to avoid skills and character archetypes where the eagerly sought and most powerful tools of the trade can't be repaired. Or even, on a sidenote, poisoned... though doing so (with an arrow for example) would be entirely feasible.

Having a soft spot for archery, I'd love to see bows repaired and arrows poisoned to allow for a more complete experience from an environment that can be (unintentionally) stifling to the roleplaying and the imagination. I'm sure all the hally whack powergamers would enjoy the new challenges a more-thoroughly envisioned Second Age could provide.

wgensel
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by wgensel »

SkunkDave wrote:I understand your argument Matron, but we also have to ask ourselves if OSI succeeded in making the game they wanted to make. I think there is plenty of documentation to say no, they did not.

While I understand what you're saying, what it comes down to is that this is not the mission of this shard. The shard simply wants to replicate UO mechanically from May-Nov. '99 unless I am mistaken. You will find lots of debate about subjects like this all over the forums, especially with regards to silver, events, town addons, etc.

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

wgensel wrote:While I understand what you're saying, what it comes down to is that this is not the mission of this shard. The shard simply wants to replicate UO mechanically from May-Nov. '99 unless I am mistaken. You will find lots of debate about subjects like this all over the forums, especially with regards to silver, events, town addons, etc.
well put senor