Wireless

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Wireless

Post by Mikel123 »

I guess this falls under a more general computer question, but I wanted to ask about wireless. I have a Linksys router which worked well until about a month ago, when it started intermittently losing connection for brief periods (5 minutes maybe). I use Windows Vista, and in the bottom right corner where I'd normally see the little Globe symbol for "Connected to Local and Internet", it would go to "Connected to Local Only" for a bit. A couple times, it's persisted longer than 5 minutes and I've just manually reset the router (using a paperclip to hit the little button) and reconfigured it with the CD in the exact same way - same name, same password -and it immediately would work again. Simply unlplugging the power to the wireless router, then plugging it back in, doesn't seem to work (it always used to for me with past D-Link routers).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Does this sound like a wireless router issue, or something else? If it's the wireless router, I'm willing to spend $50 to buy a new one if there's one you guys recommend that is easy to set up and won't have these problems.

Thanks a lot.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Wireless

Post by Roser »

This happened to me for about 9 months. I went though 4 new routers and eventually gave up. My ISP sent tech's out to my house to do nothing but scratch their heads and leave. I was given bogus reasons like "The sun's solar flare may be interrupting your wireless service"....

So I got fed up, bought a long ass ethernet cable, and plugged right in. Never had a problem since.

This is interesting because it seemed to follow me around where ever I went, effecting all computers linked to mine. (No viruses detected on multiple virus scans on all computers) This only recently stopped happening after I moved houses the last time.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

It sounds like it could be the router... but before you go and buy a new one I might suggest changing out the firmware and see how it goes.. the linksys software just might need a good cleaning, heh.

fyi, you don't need to use the CD to configure it, just plug it in after you reset it and go to http://192.168.1.1 and enter your details there, although I suppose the CD might be easier to do quickly .. and i'd upgrade to win7 immediately, not that it would help your router.

What model is the router? and what version is it if there is one? for example, it might be a WRT54G v5

DD-WRT firmware is great for routers that can run it, and it's fairly easy to install. You can check if your router is supported at this link http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

If you ended up getting a new router, I would suggest a WRT54GL, its $50 or often on sale for less. It's still the most popular router in existence... and of course I'd put on DDWRT as soon as you got it.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I may try the ethernet cable thing - I have a bunch of them saved in my closet, may as well find the longest one and give it a shot.

Dagon... that may be beyond my capability, the DD-WRT thing. Someone else suggested it to me too - I don't need any extra features, unless there's like a checkbox for "stop losing connection so much". Good info on that IP address thing though, I will try that next time. The CD doesn't take long, I have no idea what it does, though it does try to install some kind of Cisco Home Network thing that I have no need for.

My router looks exactly like this:
http://www.appinformatica.com/routers-l ... rt54g2.php
I'll check tonight and see if it's that model number.

I'll probably try the firmware update, leave UO connected for a couple days and see what happens, then the cable.

Idiotic question: if I have the wireless router connected as-is, and I plug my computer into the #1 cable hole, can a second laptop on the wireless still get the wireless signal? I'm assuming so, but just checking.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

lol yep! Mike I went through 2 of those routers. They are shit.

Right now my girlfriend is running wireless and having no issues, I found an older linksys router that we are both hooked up to. I still use the cable tho, faster connection speed and downloads.

rouss

Post by rouss »

Linksys are famous for crappy routers. I'm personally using Apple Airport Extreme (Express one would do too) and have no problems with it (it's actually been up since 2 years ago, hard to believe but no downtime). Might try one of these.
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Downs

Post by Downs »

[quote="Mikel123" I don't need any extra features, unless there's like a checkbox for "stop losing connection so much". /quote]

lol, they should put that in even if it doesnt do anything
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

DD-WRT does offer more features, but it's also just better than the firmware from linksys.. its optimized better

if you've got the WRT54G2 then revisions 1.0, 1.1, and 1.3 are compatible with ddwrt, 1.5 is not.

if you use an ethernet cable and all is well then you probably don't have to worry about it..

and yes, you can hook up via cable as many computers as the router has lan ports, and as many laptops/desktops/wii/nintendo ds/whatever wifi device you have can also use the wifi at the same time.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Turns out it is a Linksys WRT54G2 V1.

I just updated the firmware; everything is working so far. We'll see if it stays on throughout the night...

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Wireless is nothing but trouble.. I would never play online games with wireless. Plug it in, doesn't cost much to get someone to wire your place if you need cables going to multiple rooms and don't want ugly ass cables everywhere
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Myg

Post by Myg »

Sounds like theres another signal in your area that is giving out a stronger and more reliable connection in which your computer may be dropping your own router's for.

Seen this happen even when you have set your own to preferred connection to always connect to. It may help if you deleted your wireless connection profile on your computer and set it up again.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

OK just an update here... I wanted to test if it was the wireless portion of the router or not, so I plugged directly into the #1 slot on the router... still had issues.

So I wanted to determine if it was the Linksys or if the signal was being lost before then, so I plugged directly into the Comcast modem. Still having problems :-)

But it's definitely the Comcast modem/signal, at this point I'm sure of that. Not sure what else I can do but try to swap it out at the local Comcast store...

Myg

Post by Myg »

It could be a fault at the local exchange, call up your provider and ask them to check your line if a replacement modem/router doesnt help.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

This is excruciating. I've tried the phone help and the online chat help. They've reset my modem and "assured me" the modem is working perfectly.

But, every morning I come back to my laptop to find I lost connection during the night. And when I am playing, I lose connection every hour or two.

I'm about to go to Comcast today and swap the modem. I wanted to wait on this as a last resort, because I assume I somehow have to set it up again with my account name and password to connect to ethernet, or something like that? Do you guys know what I have to do? Just a wiiiiiiilllllllldd guess here, but I'm guessing the person at the Comcast location is not going to know.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

i heard the upnp setting on the router homepage can cause frequent connection loss with some router brands, but i guess that's irrelevant if its your actual connection. just thought id post this for future reference if anybody else is having similar issues.