Magic Jewelry and Clothing Should Stack

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Nexus

Magic Jewelry and Clothing Should Stack

Post by Nexus »

The bonuses provided by jewelry and clothing should stack. For instance, I should be able to get about 150 of any or all stats if I have all pieces of like magic tems (earrings, hat, cloak, bracelet and necklace). I can't remember if rings carried the cunning, strength, agility and blessing properties.

On a side note, I've yet to see any magic cloaks. They should be drops in the game.

Magical properties in UO have always stacked and even to this day continue to do so.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Magic Jewelry and Clothing Should Stack

Post by nightshark »

it's been looked at on the demo and they did not stack

was a uo:r thing
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Nexus

Post by Nexus »

nightshark wrote:it's been looked at on the demo and they did not stack

was a uo:r thing
When was it changed because I can't find patch notes to show it.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

This may have been accidental, while we have looked into this extensivly a few times now, no reference was made by OSI to any change.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Actually sorry, it wasn't the demo. I also don't believe there's a patch note detailing it.

http://web.archive.org/web/200101100615 ... shtml#ring
Last modified: July 13, 2000 wrote:Strength, cunning, agility, bless, protection - while these items used to be almost worthless, recent changes have rendered them quite valuable (especially to players who enjoy "server about to go down" wars, where the server doesn't save so you can use the same items over and over). The two changes of note are the increase in duration of these items and the cumulative effect of multiple items (i.e.: a player wearing a helmet of strength and a body sash of strength gets the bonuses for BOTH of the items). Add the following to the base price of the charged item:

Cunning, agility, protection - 5-50gp
Strength - 10-50gp
Bless - 20-100gp
I think it's one that's up for debate, but you'd need some pretty good evidence.

Unfortunately the first time that page was archived appears to have been 2001.
Last edited by nightshark on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Like, evidence that the word "recent" means "8 months before I posted this".

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that clears it up. I assume this doesn't exist in the Oct 13, 1999 stratics archive?
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Derrick wrote:Thanks, I'm pretty sure that clears it up. I assume this doesn't exist in the Oct 13, 1999 stratics archive?
First time it was archived was Jan, 2001

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This was a change that was paired with the removal of the fizzle animation from spells as one of the background changes to UOR. As we all know, during T2A and pre-T2A a spell would make a check to see if you were currently under the effect of a similar ability and would fizzle you if you were already under the effect of such an ability.

In the demo code, the stat altering effects were generically named strup, strdown, dexup, dexdown, intup, and intdown. Each item, spell, or potion that would effect your stats in this manner would mark you as having a particular generic effect on you with an intensity modifier based on the kind of item or spell used to produce the effect (magery based for spells, potion "power" based for potions, and a static +/- 10 for items). Any time that you attempted to equip, cast, or use an item that would place you under one of the above effects, the code would check to see if you were already under the effect of that ability before placing you under the effect. In the case of spells, the spell would display a fizzle animation, while potions would return the message "You are already under a similar effect", and items would simply not stack the effect. With UOR, some behind the scenes changes went into effect that allowed for these varied effects to be stacked. One of the indications that this change had occurred was the fact that spells would no longer produce a fizzle animation when cast twice on the same target. Instead, they would produce the normal animation but produce no effect.

I hope that this does justice to the explanation of effect stacking.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

nightshark wrote:Unfortunately the first time that page was archived appears to have been 2001.
That quote does not exist in an archived version from 27 Jan 2000. But there is this interesting tidbit:

http://web.archive.org/web/200001271659 ... chant4.htm
Strength, cunning, agility, bless - there used to be a number of exploits that made items with these attributes valuable; however, all of these exploits have been fixed and these attributes add minimal value to an item.