RELEASE the Krakens!!!

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
pm_lamont

RELEASE the Krakens!!!

Post by pm_lamont »

I dont know if this has been brought up before, however, I thought it would be interesting to show some patch notes and photos regarding Krakens:

The kraken (before it had its own graphic added in UOR) was simply a corpser graphic with a blueish hue. Later, it was revamped and given an aqua neon type hue, and slightly enlarged. Proof of its existance at all in t2a and before is scarce, but it does exist. On page 11.8 of the t2a manual (large version), and I believe although I dont have the smaller manual, that it is in the cheaper copy manual as well. It shows the same picture as the corpser, however, it is a Kraken. Where it says in the manual it exists is in the sea, whereas in UOR it exists only in dungeons. I would speculate that these creatures spawned in the sea since there are no non-agressive creatures in dungeons, and there are in the ocean. The patch in 1998 made them agressive and thats probably where I saw it. That said, they must have been rare...or existed in places where few ventured, such as decolate parts of the sea. They seem to have some of the same habits as water elementals though, water dwellers, spawn and live in water, and seek out ships.

I had seen one before in game, but I dont remember where or when, since I didnt venture around in dungeons much, and spent most of my time mining and fighting around in forests, and getting PKed there. It was a blueish corpser. Below is the pic of the kraken from the manual, and a patch note from 1998 which mentions krakens being patched along with a number of other creatures to be agressive.
If it wasn't around in t2a, it certainly wouldnt appear in the manual which came with the game for that era...

Server update Nov 23 1998 10:59AM

CREATURES
The following creatures will become aggressive:
Ancient wyrms
Dragons
Giant silver serpents
Corpsers
Kraken
Swamp tentacles
Energy vortices and blade spirits will also be more aggressive.
Attachments
Kraken from page 11.8 of the secondage manual
Kraken from page 11.8 of the secondage manual
Last edited by pm_lamont on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Re: RELEASE the Krakens!!!

Post by Sandro »

I remember the blue-corpser kraken. Don't know if it existed during our time-frame then.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

It'd be really nice to get a screenshot of this for hue. In all my travels in the seas in 1998-9, I never recall crossing paths with this creature.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

rouss

Post by rouss »

Derrick wrote:It'd be really nice to get a screenshot of this for hue. In all my travels in the seas in 1998-9, I never recall crossing paths with this creature.
there was a kraken creature in pol095 and probably in pol094, so if you have your hands on these, please do check npcdesc.cfg there
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

rouss

Post by rouss »

alright here it is
Attachments
head.jpg
head.jpg (38.35 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Kraken was magical?
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

rouss

Post by rouss »

Sandro wrote:Kraken was magical?
i believee it was yes
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The orignal info indicated they were only found on the seas, and that they were later added to dungeons along with a change in hue. I belive that even after to bodies were changed, that players with older clients (non-ML) would still see the corpser graphics.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

I think krakens only spawned in t2a areas during our timeframe. thats probably why its so hard to find screenshots of them from our timeframe. they definatly existed though.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

kraken was i nthat non trammel dungeon that came out when uor did. kaldun??
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

son wrote:kraken was i nthat non trammel dungeon that came out when uor did. kaldun??
That's the tentacles of the harrower..

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Sandro wrote:
son wrote:kraken was i nthat non trammel dungeon that came out when uor did. kaldun??
That's the tentacles of the harrower..
i recall getting pwned by one in shame once, but that was UO:R i think. i was intrigued cause i'd never seen one before, and it seriously floored me in 1s flat.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

punk

Post by punk »

I remember farming them for baskets (or some other semi rare) in some section on Wind. You would go through some teleportal and be in this big cave room with a lake in the middle and a Kraken!

That was probably post UO:R though.
Erik [Hu]

lettuce

Post by lettuce »

the tentacles of the harrower are red

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

ImageImage

the UOR kraken is different http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.ph ... ers&id=223

here's a post UOR article from 2001 talking about both krakens http://vboards.stratics.com/uo-tamer/10 ... raken.html

but still the patch note from 1998 is evidence that krakens existed in era (the corpser one) -- otherwise they wouldnt have made a patch note if it was not in game

and heres a thread from last year that someone alleges they are already here?? http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10311

editj ust realized i linked to the wrong thread from last year. . fixed now
Last edited by Dagon on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.