10+ player stat bars on screen -

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

10+ player stat bars on screen -

Post by BlackFoot »

the message says you have 'too many non-party status bars'

not a big deal just could use a new message that doesnt include party bars (could confuse somone down the road)
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

lettuce

Re: 10+ player stat bars on screen -

Post by lettuce »

why is there a limit i dont remeber there ever being a limit on bars

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

It's in the client :(
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Lucien

Post by Lucien »

Just in case, further explaining what derrick said.

This "limit" is not imposed by the server, it is imposed by the client. An ultima online emulated shard changes nothing inside the client. So it just cant be modified.

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

This could probably be changed inside the official UOSA client. I'll take a look once I get home.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

it can, but it wouldn't be era accurate so i have not touched it.. but easy to do if Derrick didn't have any objections.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I like the idea of making name-bars drop when the player(s) exceed a set distance. Unfortunately, this would only allow non-UOSA-clients a distinct advantage.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

The 10 status bar limit was introduced in client patch 2.0.0a on May 11, 2000. and exists in all clients since then, including the latest 7.x client.

So not era accurate. But without some serious client hacking it can't be removed. The text could be changed though.

From this translation I don't quite follow if the main problem was before this addition, which was the reason for the addition, or after the addition, and it's a side effect/bug of the reusing of status bars..
You fight against monsters, and gets during which their status bars disappear, but after the death of the monsters, the status bars, but are not apparently deleted from the system memory.The result: After a considerable death rate of the monsters we will soon have a plethora of open (invisible) status bars in his system memory. This will be preceded by messages (have too many non-party status bars open You. Reusing old status bar for new one. "). Ignoring this warning, the client might crash imminent. The moment you can only go out of the way in which one goes to a safe place, the client ends, and then restart. OSI had already reported the information. Whether by today - new fix - the problem is solved, is still, at least you should set the most significant times.

Myg

Post by Myg »

For your serious hacking pleasure!

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Show off :lol:

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i want to go to there
imagine how easy a dungeon crawl could be....
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Well it's entirely possible to change, and not era accurate as it was introduced in March 2000 (the limit).. so I'll leave it up to Derrick to say yay or nay to the change for public consumption and the client installer (wouldn't stop anyone from doing it on their own, obviously).

Of course, I could barely walk with all those status bars up.. there gets to a point where you just become lagged from them all, and continues until you close them down to a suitable number (there are any number of variables for this so it will probably be different for everyone, based on CPU, RAM, graphics, etc, etc). but that's era accurate and is probably the reason that OSI put the limit in... but it's the player's responsibility to manage their client.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

As long as this has been fully tested, I'm fine with it being integrated into the downloadable client. I would like to see this tested by a few people in normal gameplay just to make sure there are no side effects etc.

Thanks guys!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

The only testing I've done thus far is the side effects of having so many bars open, and if the bars greater than the normal ten can still be used as the target of spells/actions.

I can't think off the top of my head what else should be directly tested for problems.

If anyone wants to be a part of this testing phase shoot me a PM.. but only if you are actually going to test things and report back.