World save in-accurate for some reason? Attn Derrik

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Sinatra SUN-FoW

World save in-accurate for some reason? Attn Derrik

Post by Sinatra SUN-FoW »

I have old documentation and old pictures of the OSI version of UO and its world save. The bright yellow color located in the lower left corner when the world saves is not accurate. I don't mean to nit pick and I am not complaining I just am saying this is a T2A Accurate shard so why not have the world save accurate? Anyway I mocked up the code it may be a little out of date but I know you can at least take a look at it.

Code: Select all

public static void Save()
		{
                        ArrayList mobs = new ArrayList( World.Mobiles.Values );

try{ Backup(); }
			catch{}

foreach ( Mobile m in mobs ) 
                        {
                                 m.Send( new AsciiMessage( Serial.Zero, 0, MessageType.Regular,  0x3CB, 0, null, "System: world save has been initiated") );
                        }
			World.Save( false );

foreach ( Mobile m in mobs )
                        {
                                 m.Send( new AsciiMessage( Serial.Zero, 0, MessageType.Regular,  0x3CB, 0, null, "System: world save complete") );
                        }

}
Last edited by Derrick on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed redundant default runuo code (if I missed a change let me know)
Exaggerated Personalities for Exaggerated Times

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: World save in-accurate for some reason? Attn Derrik

Post by nightshark »

i never recall the world saving on osi. it was a fully behind-the-scenes thing for as long as i played, the only way you could even tell it was server war was when you got the "the server will go down shortly" message.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Zorce
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Zorce »

Free servers dont have the resources Origin or EA had to do the behind the scene saves.

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Zorce wrote:Free servers dont have the resources Origin or EA had to do the behind the scene saves.
Perhaps not the exact process but this world save code is complaint with RUNUO and is a mirror image of what you find in the T2A Demo Code, so that statement is not entirely true.

Errikos

Post by Errikos »

Is there some reason you have to save while all the players are playing? I mean, just before the server shuts down every day, you can't force everyone off the game early, save while it's still on, and then turn the server off? Because I noticed it saves like 15 minutes before it shuts down and anything done during that 15 minute span gets undone when the server is back up.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

i dont remember world save messages on osi at all. i didn't play during t2a though.

errikos, that 15 minute period with no saves exists intentionally so people can have a bit of fun without fear of consequences. they could shut the server down immediately after the save if they wanted to.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Zorce wrote:Free servers dont have the resources Origin or EA had to do the behind the scene saves.
dude it's 2010, computers have come a long way. think about it.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Errikos wrote:Is there some reason you have to save while all the players are playing? I mean, just before the server shuts down every day, you can't force everyone off the game early, save while it's still on, and then turn the server off? Because I noticed it saves like 15 minutes before it shuts down and anything done during that 15 minute span gets undone when the server is back up.

This is era accurate there is ONE last save then an interval where nothing counts. Server goes down reboots and then is returned to that very last save. I have screen shots of this.

Prior to this there was a message not captured saying "The Server will be going down shortly."
Then it moves to the final save stage.
This message while saving never changed. However this only occurred once a day unlike UOT2A (this shard).
Also much like T2a there was an interval where nothing you did was saved nor accounted for.

If you do not believe me open up client.exe in a word or DOS editor search for the string and you will find these exact messages. Can't get more official than that guys.
Last edited by Sinatra SUN-FoW on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sinatra SUN-FoW

nightshark wrote:
dude it's 2010, computers have come a long way. think about it.

Exactly

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Errikos wrote:Is there some reason you have to save while all the players are playing? I mean, just before the server shuts down every day, you can't force everyone off the game early, save while it's still on, and then turn the server off? Because I noticed it saves like 15 minutes before it shuts down and anything done during that 15 minute span gets undone when the server is back up.

Unless the C# coders are buffoons this would never happen and we all know they are not. That is also why it warns of you A: A final save and B: The server is not going to save again.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

you can't really compare the way origin saved their servers to how a runuo shard saves. completely different system.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

dude, how about you get that chest intro done before worrying about world save messages :mrgreen:

Sinatra SUN-FoW

marmalade wrote:you can't really compare the way origin saved their servers to how a runuo shard saves. completely different system.

I agree but I posted code that emulates what OSI does maybe not to the perfection level but still. just cant help it not a fan of the bright yellow save.

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Dagon wrote:dude, how about you get that chest intro done before worrying about world save messages :mrgreen:

It is done only problem is the name and password boxes are off center. if no one cares I will release it my dude!

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

what does that code do exactly?