Assorted Taming Bugs

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Assorted Taming Bugs

Post by dren »

Reena Dae wrote:Mount loyalty is not decaying at all. It should decay at the same rate as any other pet, meaning it can go wild on you while you are riding it.

Animal Lore messages are wrong. I've seen "wild" as one of the messages a few times, which is not one of the possible options (http://www.tamingarchive.com/pets/loyalty.php, note the last paragraph refers to testing done in era).

Pets are starting at "happy" loyalty when they are tamed. During this era, they should be starting at "confused" or some other very low level. People are leaving their skillup animals tamed all over the place on this shard, and they stay tamed for hours. This was a problem on real servers, too, but starting at the lowest loyalty level ensured they only stayed tame for an hour. This is probably why I remember feeding newly tamed creatures, not because it was some superstitious "stop killing me" peace offering.

When you rename a pet, there should be a system message like "You have renamed [old petname] to [new petname]".
I agree, I have not seen a mount throw anyone off on this server. Mounts seem to stay tamed much longer than they ought to, out of the sight of their owners, and not being fed for the nov 99 era. In nov '99 your pets would go wild very quickly even after buying them from a stable if you didn't feed them soon enough. On this server people tame pets and leave them everywhere and they stay tamed for hours upon hours - this doesn't make any sense....

You should be able to raise your horses or other mount's loyalty with commands.

You should also be able to lower the loyalty with unsucessful commands. If your loyalty is low enough that your mount isn't listening to you, if you give it commands enough times unsuccessfully it should go wild - I remember this happening in 1999.

I also found patch notes, post nov 99; but it should give an idea of what things were like in nov 99
http://update.uo.com/design_168.html
Pet Loyalty Duration
Pets will remain loyal much longer than they did in the past. Pets will remain loyal for over 24 hours.
So pets weren't loyal for nearly as long as they are now, until feb 2000.
Pet Changes
Various fixes and enhancements to pets.

* Pack horses now have their packs on them when they die.
* Pet transfers will perform the loyalty checks before the transfer window appears.
* Friends of a pet will have a slightly more difficult time issuing commands to the pet.
* Pack animals and horses will no longer say [tame] above them twice.
* Horses and pack horses that go wild (and have had two or fewer previous owners) can be retamed and controlled by any of the original owners without any added difficulty.
* Transferring a pet will no longer increase the difficulty in controlling the pet. However, if the transferred pet goes wild or is released, it will still incur the penalty for two previous owners.
* When a pet that has had previous owners is retamed, the tamer has a chance, based on the tamer’s animal lore skill, of calming the pet down. A calmed pet's difficulty to control is the same as if it had had one fewer owner. The difficulty will never be reduced below the pet's original difficulty.
* Starting loyalty of tamed pets is now slightly higher. This will prevent pets from going wild instantly on a failed command.
* Failed pet transfers will now impact the creature's loyalty less.
* Pets who are automatically controlled without any taming or lore skill (horses, pack animals, and dogs, for instance) will no longer gain loyalty when issued a successful command.
* The messages have been restored when you have no chance of taming a creature.
Sometimes pets would go wild right after buying them if you didn't feed them; this was changed after feb 2000.

At the least I think that the mount loyalty system needs some adjustments. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by dren on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fit: Alderman, Merchants of Britannia: Proudly serving UOSA for more than 160 Sosarian years.

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dren »

Reena Dae wrote:You can name pets "you" and "your bag", even though it was disabled on Nov 23, 1999.

Commanding/loyalty is off by a fair bit. We never had very many official numbers to go by, but no tamer with GM lore during this time period should have any difficulty controlling anything they're able to tame. My own grizzly bears and panthers were repeatedly disobeying commands (when one was newly tamed, I nearly commanded it into going wild on me). The "guard" command is supposed to work with 100% or near 100% accuracy during this time period, even with modest control of your pet. Found a pair of pretamed Frenzied Ostards this morning and I can't control them well enough to have them kill off my tames for me (69.6 displayed taming, GM lore). You used to be able to control a dragon with ~80 taming and GM lore well enough for light hunting (eg. anywhere you won't need to spam commands due to random crap agroing behind walls, defending against PKs, etc. -- this was tweaked in early 2000, and tweaked again even later). 70ish taming for dragon handling was pushing it, but could be done with patience and occasional feeding.

The kill command is doing a double loyalty check. Currently, when you say "all kill", there is a check. If that check passes, a target cursor will come up. After you select your target, a second loyalty check is occurring. Only the second loyalty check should be happening.
BTW, Reena Dae; did you try feeding the frenzied ostards before giving them commands? You should be able control them... if they are loyal to you.

Anyway, to the point, I second the notion that there is something bugged with lore on this server. I fed my mount today and it still says it's starving immediately after. I fed it a second time, and it's still starving - so there's obviously something wrong, with the lore skill.
Fit: Alderman, Merchants of Britannia: Proudly serving UOSA for more than 160 Sosarian years.

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

Animal Lore on pets that I've released will still tell me their loyalty. Very weird seeing a wild pet saying that it is "very happy".
A conversation during character creation:
Me: Do you think I should use my old character name..?
Him: I think you overestimate how famous you are. I doubt anyone remembers you anymore.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Mount loyalty does decay, it just takes a long time.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

nightshark wrote:Mount loyalty does decay, it just takes a long time.
How long is a "long time"? I can macro overnight on my frenzied with absolutely no fear of it going wild. It is still "wonderfully happy" when I wake up in the morning, and that level of loyalty has the shortest duration. It should take roughly 6 hours to go wild from maximum.

Taming text is missing the following phrases (did these get phased out during various localization changes? Or were they just never part of this emu?)

I've been searching for a companion like you.
I can protect you from the dangers of this world.
Will you travel with me, noble creature?
It would be mutually beneficial if we were to join forces together.

However, these phrases might only appear on the more "noble" creatures (dragons/drakes/wyrms/mares/etc.), and not any of the stuff I've been taming for skillups.
Him: I think you overestimate how famous you are. I doubt anyone remembers you anymore.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Reena Dae wrote:
nightshark wrote:Mount loyalty does decay, it just takes a long time.
How long is a "long time"? I can macro overnight on my frenzied with absolutely no fear of it going wild. It is still "wonderfully happy" when I wake up in the morning, and that level of loyalty has the shortest duration. It should take roughly 6 hours to go wild from maximum.
It takes a few overnight macros.

I've also brought up the issue of loyalty decay taking too long, apparently it's the same in the demo though. Apparently wonderfully happy to wild takes ~100 hours. I recall mounts going wild very often during T2A, I would "steal" people's mounts at WBB when they went wild due to the 0 taming requirement. You never see anyone's horse go wild here.

Reena, are pet's supposed to go wild more quickly when their owners are not present? I seem to recall this happening, but it would've been speculation based off the *looks around desparately* message. I can't remember. I notice pets on Dagger Isle take a long time to go wild even though their owners have long since left.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

nightshark wrote:Reena, are pet's supposed to go wild more quickly when their owners are not present? I seem to recall this happening, but it would've been speculation based off the *looks around desparately* message. I can't remember. I notice pets on Dagger Isle take a long time to go wild even though their owners have long since left.
No. That's something that was added later. They increased the initial loyalty level at the same time.

Speaking of *looks around desperately*, that message was added later (ie. outside of T2A era) and it is only supposed to occur when you broke LoS. It currently happens along with the "decided to be without a master" message when the pet goes wild on its own. I don't remember what the proper message is supposed to be anymore.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I thought our pet walking speed was dropped by derrick on purpose for era accuracy.

Also, they nerfed dragons a while back so that if i had 100 of them, they'd almost never shoot fireballs at reds. I personally thought this was done for the sake of players and had nothing to do with era accuracy.

If i have 100 dragons, shouldn't at least 20 of them insta kill some random red that comes up to them?
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

Pets do not go wild once they have 0 loyalty. Spammed commands for a good while once animal lore said it was "Wild" and nothing happened.

Also, there is nothing era accurate about movement speed or just about anything else related to pet AI.

I watched a Nightmare cast Mass Curse earlier. Old Nightmares had really poor magery (I lifted this one off of some guy, so it's possible it could have been trained... but then again he died to a ratman instead of dismounting and having it fight and he wasn't afk). Not sure when I tamed this one, but it's pretty old. The only information I have as to it's age was tamed after the "no retame at 0" patch (January 2000) and that it came from Vesper Cemetary.

http://www.tamingarchive.com/reena/pets/fate.php

Tamed Imps are not retaliating with spells if they get attacked. They must be commanded to attack before they will start casting (guard probably works too).

If I try to use Animal Taming skill while I am in the process of taming something already (lag, not sure if the "too far" or whatever message is old or new), there is a forced delay after I complete the taming process before I can start taming again.

Some aggressive creatures are immediately flagging blue once they are tame, even though they were trying to attack me through obstacles. This behavior is inconsistent.

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

Dragon/Wyrm sounds for successful/failed commands are wrong. Failure should be a squaking sound, success should be the sound currently being used as failure (a deep roar). Successful commands don't seem to be making any sort of audio. I've suspected nightmare sounds aren't right either, but I can't get InsideUO to play audio to tell for sure what the right audio should be. The current failure is what success should be, failure should be a high pitched whinny.

I had another tamer show me that you can command pets with spaces in their names works, which is era inaccurate ("a white wyrm follow me" works, even though it shouldn't). It doesn't really hurt anything the way it is, but I figured I should mention it.

White Wyrms don't loot properly. I got enough hides to GM tailoring back on Napa using this method. If you skin an animal corpse so that the meat and hides are on it right after a wyrm kills it, the wyrm will loot the hides for you. You had to be quick, but it worked most of the time. If i stand at a corpse long enough, eventually the wyrm will loot. Also, it's only picking up 1 item, it should pick up as many as it can before it is convinced to move from the corpse.

Corpses are referenced wrong in the looting dialog "*[creature] rummages through [creature's name while it is alive] and takes [item]*". In the case of a renamed and released animal, it would rummage through "a" instead of "a deer corpse".

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Squaking sound, i think sounds like " woah woah" like a frog right?
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

GuardianKnight wrote:Squaking sound, i think sounds like " woah woah" like a frog right?
More like a raspy sounding goose honk.

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

Wyrms aren't angering at all while attempting to tame them. I don't remember these not being angerable.

Pets are giving fame/karma even after their controller flag has expired. Kill and Guard are supposed to set a special flag that allows them to be attackable by you (if you're guilded, they will be green at this point, otherwise still blue). The flag is supposed to expire after a certain amount of time (2 minutes?) and you can only get fame/karma when this flag is set. I had my dragon sitting on a boat while I went to go shower and when I came back, it was still giving me fame/karma from water elementals and sea serpents when I got back.

Pets that are aggressive in their wild state are (only sometimes?) attacking aggressive targets of their own free will, even though there is no guarding command involved and the pet was not being targeted by the aggressive creature.

Kabup

Post by Kabup »

Ok, this is maybe out of the focus, but why grizzly bears and great harts don't follow you, after tamed? They just stand on the spot, don't move anywhere, even after released. Other kind just works well, this is right?
Slowly Lord British, ruler of Britannia, rises from his throne. Brushing the dust off of his crown, a concerned realization crosses his face. The rumors are true!

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

Kabup wrote:Ok, this is maybe out of the focus, but why grizzly bears and great harts don't follow you, after tamed? They just stand on the spot, don't move anywhere, even after released. Other kind just works well, this is right?
Did you command them to follow you? Was it a successful command? If a pet is told to stay and is released, it will (incorrectly) stay in that spot forever. A newly tamed creature is supposed to continue aimlessly after it is tamed until you start giving it commands (it seems to do this correctly here). Aggressive creatures aren't working correctly, though (they're supposed to continue chasing and attacking you, but they don't really do either here).

There's all sorts of bugs relating to AI that I'm holding off on reporting until it gets updated.