Assorted Taming Bugs

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Assorted Taming Bugs

Post by nightshark »

Is guard actually supposed to make the pet follow you? I thought guard just made you guarded.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Generic Player

Post by Generic Player »

It shouldn't, no.

Kabup

Post by Kabup »

Reena Dae wrote:
Kabup wrote:Ok, this is maybe out of the focus, but why grizzly bears and great harts don't follow you, after tamed? They just stand on the spot, don't move anywhere, even after released. Other kind just works well, this is right?
Did you command them to follow you? Was it a successful command? If a pet is told to stay and is released, it will (incorrectly) stay in that spot forever. A newly tamed creature is supposed to continue aimlessly after it is tamed until you start giving it commands (it seems to do this correctly here). Aggressive creatures aren't working correctly, though (they're supposed to continue chasing and attacking you, but they don't really do either here).

There's all sorts of bugs relating to AI that I'm holding off on reporting until it gets updated.
nope, the dumb animals don't follow me anyway. After tamed, they stay glued on the ground. With 'all guard me', they still don't move, but if I aggro a monster near them, they attack the monster, but without a step out there. With 'all follow me', they just swing the head, and don't move neither. Just like 0 stamina. I even did try with herding, after release them, and... nothing. After 10 minutes, they still are there.

Is this t2a's bug??? or a server's bug? or is this correct, and I am missing something?
Slowly Lord British, ruler of Britannia, rises from his throne. Brushing the dust off of his crown, a concerned realization crosses his face. The rumors are true!

Kabup

Post by Kabup »

more one thing, I did try to change their names too, and say 'gettaouthere follow me' and still didn't work...
Slowly Lord British, ruler of Britannia, rises from his throne. Brushing the dust off of his crown, a concerned realization crosses his face. The rumors are true!

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Commanding pets during any sort of combat is buggy as all hell.
Also "wandering" pets are really messed up when the tamer is not around.

Sry, I didn't really read many posts here. But it's my two cents. Hope this stuff gets fixed relatively soon.

Ill get more specific later maybe, to tired to think atm.

Kabup

Post by Kabup »

Really, not a big deal. I'm not familiar with a lot of things in t2a, so I'll keep walking around to learn something. In fact, commanding pets here are harder than I'm used to. You need to shot a lot of 'all attack', since the pets just go to fight one by one, and only if you are near them.

But I just comment the fact (pets don't walking) because if it's a bug, maybe it can be fixed.

Nicoladen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nicoladen »

Pets that are aggroed through a Wall and are commanded to attack something else Will lash back to the creature behind the Wall. They shouldnt change their focus once told to kill something by the tamer.

This goes for creatures that are not behind walls aswell.

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

The guard command doesn't work. All it seems to do is make your pet grey (wrong, pet should stay blue) or green. The owner does not get a [guarded] tag next to their name (I could have swore I saw this tag not that long ago, but it must have been with a hireling and not a pet). Pets should say "[petname] is somewhat annoyed" when you approach something they are guarding. When attacked, the pet does not retaliate against the guarded target's attacker. When using "[petname] guard me", a target cursor comes up when it shouldn't (target cursor does not come up when using "all guard me"). If you target yourself, you get "this cannot be guarded by a pet or hireling." (you also get this message if you use "[petname] guard"). Pets should guard the owner, corpse of the owner, items in the house of the owner, other pets of the owner (9/22/99 patch notes).

I can't reproduce this, but I've had it happen twice now where my mount has attacked me while using the kill command to kill off my tames. The first time was with a frenzied and I passed it off as accidentally targeting my own text. The second time was with a nightmare and I targeted a health bar that was well off screen so there was no possible way I targeted myself by accident. Both times the pets were extremely/wonderfully happy.

Have PvPers been making a dedicated effort to have taming be broken on this shard? It really seems like some of this stuff is intentionally inaccurate so that tamers are useless in PvP (follow speed, guard, multiple firebreathers not working, etc.).
A conversation during character creation:
Me: Do you think I should use my old character name..?
Him: I think you overestimate how famous you are. I doubt anyone remembers you anymore.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Yes.

Only thing I'll add, as far as the [guarded] goes, I've seen that each time I've used it, and when other people have too. As for the behavior, I can't comment one way or another.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We had this [guarded] stuff working, I'm not sure what changed. You cannot guard yourself or anything in a guarded area, and if in a guarded area you'll never see [guarded]. I'm not sure why you're getting the "this cannot be guarded by a pet or hireling." message, definately not the correct message even for a guarded area. You should get messages when coming in range of guarded items or characters.

Looking into all of this.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

Derrick wrote:We had this [guarded] stuff working, I'm not sure what changed. You cannot guard yourself or anything in a guarded area, and if in a guarded area you'll never see [guarded]. I'm not sure why you're getting the "this cannot be guarded by a pet or hireling." message, definately not the correct message even for a guarded area. You should get messages when coming in range of guarded items or characters.

Looking into all of this.
You're right, I was in town. I thought I was outside of guard protection, but I guess I wasn't. So hard to tell with Papua. I could have swore guard worked in town during this era, and it's possible it was removed later... but I have no use for the guard command inside of town anyway. Follow is canceling the guard command, which shouldn't happen. Only kill or stop are supposed to do that.

Transfer is behaving incorrectly. I just transfered a predator hell cat to a character with 0 taming and lore. This should not happen after the orneriness changes, which are part of this era (should have been the same time as the server boundary nerfing fix?). The only way you could transfer a high end pet is to release it and have the new owner tame it. The new owner MUST have some taming/lore for transfer to work (I believe I had heard 50 taming and some amount of lore was enough to get something like a nightmare to transfer if you spammed the command enough times after the retame thing was added in early 2000).

I had another tamed frenzied attacking me last night. Tame it, run off screen so it stops fighting me, feed it like normal. I continue walking around looking for more frenzieds with the new one following me around. After killing whatever attacked him along the way, he would turn to me and start fighting me again. I also had it happen while he was just following me as well (may have been a case of whatever was attacking it had passed out of the frenzied's range). It's like he never forgot he hated me in the first place and losing his previous target reminded him. I would have expected something like this from a firebreather that hadn't left it's original subserver, but not anything else.

Animal Lore spam appears in the wrong location for this era. The first half of the message is appearing as a system message, but it should be appearing over the creature's head, just above the loyalty status. No idea on the date of this screenshot, but it's before they changed it to give vague training messages I think: http://tamingarchive.com/reena/images/? ... allore.jpg

As much as I enjoyed taming for skillups paying for my regs, hell cats, predator hell cats, and lava lizards are not supposed to have any drops (gold, gems, magic weapons/armor, sulfurous ash, etc). Only dragons, drakes, nightmares, wyrms and maybe hell hounds, mongbats and imps are supposed to have gold. Only hell hounds and nightmares should have a guaranteed drop of ash? (I can't say for sure whether or not wyrms/dragons/drakes had regs).

Lava lizards and imps are only supposed to appear in 1 color of red, currently they have subtle variations. Imp and Lava Lizard.

Pets are not passing through moongates if they cannot reach their owner. I tamed a frenzied up on a ledge and told it to follow me before I went through a gate. Even though I was on the tile right next to the ledge, it still would not come through with me. Normally I would have teleported up the ledge, but I had another pet following me, plus I already had a mount. Pets should follow their owner through a gate from a fair distance away (they still need to be at least on screen and in "follow owner" mode).
A conversation during character creation:
Me: Do you think I should use my old character name..?
Him: I think you overestimate how famous you are. I doubt anyone remembers you anymore.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Reena Dae wrote: Transfer is behaving incorrectly. I just transfered a predator hell cat to a character with 0 taming and lore. This should not happen after the orneriness changes, which are part of this era (should have been the same time as the server boundary nerfing fix?). The only way you could transfer a high end pet is to release it and have the new owner tame it. The new owner MUST have some taming/lore for transfer to work (I believe I had heard 50 taming and some amount of lore was enough to get something like a nightmare to transfer if you spammed the command enough times after the retame thing was added in early 2000).

I had another tamed frenzied attacking me last night. Tame it, run off screen so it stops fighting me, feed it like normal. I continue walking around looking for more frenzieds with the new one following me around. After killing whatever attacked him along the way, he would turn to me and start fighting me again. I also had it happen while he was just following me as well (may have been a case of whatever was attacking it had passed out of the frenzied's range). It's like he never forgot he hated me in the first place and losing his previous target reminded him. I would have expected something like this from a firebreather that hadn't left it's original subserver, but not anything else.

As much as I enjoyed taming for skillups paying for my regs, hell cats, predator hell cats, and lava lizards are not supposed to have any drops (gold, gems, magic weapons/armor, sulfurous ash, etc). Only dragons, drakes, nightmares, wyrms and maybe hell hounds, mongbats and imps are supposed to have gold. Only hell hounds and nightmares should have a guaranteed drop of ash? (I can't say for sure whether or not wyrms/dragons/drakes had regs).

Pets are not passing through moongates if they cannot reach their owner. I tamed a frenzied up on a ledge and told it to follow me before I went through a gate. Even though I was on the tile right next to the ledge, it still would not come through with me. Normally I would have teleported up the ledge, but I had another pet following me, plus I already had a mount. Pets should follow their owner through a gate from a fair distance away (they still need to be at least on screen and in "follow owner" mode).
So... I concur on the first point. I remember it being 65/65 Taming/Lore was a rough estimate to accept a nightmare transfer, and at that point it would take a healthy amount of meat to restore it to wonderfully happy after each few failed transfer attempts. I think this would translate to about 80 taming itself, which was less skill points but tougher to get to for simply banksitting on a nightmare :-)

As for the second point... I agree this is weird, but I thought it was 1999-normal. There are some weird rules with engagement and targeting here. I always invis myself for 2 minutes after taming an aggresive monster. Can lead to some tense moments if another monster comes along and attacks your redlined, tame dragon. But again, I thought it was accurate.

Interesting on the loot! http://web.archive.org/web/199910130905 ... llcat.html Lava Lizard says "unknown" loot, but hellcats specifically say "none". Very interesting!

I recall as well your point about being in follow mode and near a gate.

Generic Player

Post by Generic Player »

The attacking you after you are tame thing only applied to firebreathers. Once you took them to a different subserver they were fine, but until you did they would keep on attacking you periodically. Non-firebreathers didn't do that though, once you tamed them and invis or peacemake to get them to break off combat, they wouldn't attack you any more.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Reena Dae wrote:Transfer is behaving incorrectly. I just transfered a predator hell cat to a character with 0 taming and lore. This should not happen after the orneriness changes, which are part of this era (should have been the same time as the server boundary nerfing fix?).
Do you have a date on this? This was addressed previously and it was understood that there was no check on transfer in our target timeframe.

Again i want to reassert that this stuff does have a high priority and as much as possible will be fixed in the next major publish but some of these issues are deep rooted and may take some work.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

October 2000:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.game ... 8416de02dd
Minimum is 70/70 to transfer [a nightmare]
But not much use at 70/70 unfortunately :(
June 2000:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... 9d5943918b
I have only transferred two dragons in my time in UO and one white wyrm. The
white wyrm transferred long before the patch that made them harder to
control. I was in the high 50's in tamin skill and tamed it after someone
let it go wild. She was in the high 70's in taming, so the transfer went
almost immediately and without a problem.
The two dragons both went to people with no less than 75 taming skill. One
had 77 taming and 69 lore, the other had 75 taming 78 lore. For both of
them, I had to make a macro that said "all transfer" and just keep hitting
it over and over until I got the trade screen. Both took less than 10 tries,
but more than 2.
Most chessy tamers won't transfer to anyone with less than 70 taming and
lore anyway.
Feb 2000:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... f94db28a1a
You do need 80-85 taming to be transferred a pet now which probably will
affect the nightmare twinks.
August 1999:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... 98b46044cf
If he tries to transfer it to you it will not work. It may attack. If it
does, you are toast. If in town, you, it, and He are toast. You have no way
to control this creature with no taming or AL. Nightmares are some of the
toughest. My tamer Kai Du, with Taming in the 70's and 100 Animal Lore, had
fair control of her dragon. I'm concerned as to whether she will be able to
control a Nightmare, which she is considering buying.
So, I think the Feb 23, 2000 patch was the one that required Taming and Lore for transfers (hence the post about "In Testing" stuff in a mid-February post above). An amusing postscript about the August 1999 quote above... the "transfer bug" appears to actually be the "all kill" bug, as far as I can tell.