Animal Taming skill requirements

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Reena Dae

Animal Taming skill requirements

Post by Reena Dae »

I was looking over your skill listings for various tamable creatures and thought those numbers looked very familiar. Were they copied from an archived version of Stratics?

Origin never changed the minimum skill levels to tame any animal, or at least, not since I started playing (late spring 1999). Stratics always had wrong numbers and almost never took the initiative to correct the information (even if you emailed them with the corrections). I did my testing on Test Center after they implemented the ability to set your skills to an arbitrary level, and I tested each and every animal down to the exact .1. The animals with -0.9 skill requirement were confirmed after they added the incrementing skill difficulty for each additional person who tamed it.
A conversation during character creation:
Me: Do you think I should use my old character name..?
Him: I think you overestimate how famous you are. I doubt anyone remembers you anymore.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Animal Taming skill requirements

Post by Kaivan »

Yes, the taming skill values that we use (at least in part) are from the Stratics archives.

Beyond that, we attempt to line up the minimum taming skill requirements with archived pages for the taming archive.

Speaking of which, are you and the Reena Dae for the taming archive one in the same?
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

Yes, my email still appears to work since I still get spam from it ;-)
Him: I think you overestimate how famous you are. I doubt anyone remembers you anymore.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Very nice. After seeing your post in the sticky thread at the top of this forum, we would be very interested in any information you might still have from the time that you had your page hosted on CoB. The information that we have used from your page regarding minimum taming values comes from archived versions circa early to mid 2001. This is out of era and while it is unlikely that the values have changed, it would be better to confirm that the values are accurate to the era.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

The taming archive was never part of CoB. It was on a few sketchy freehosts, the UTB for a little while, and then my own host. The figures that are currently on the site (http://www.tamingarchive.com/tameables/) were completed in April 2000 (according to my news posts). The values first listed on the site were also copied from Stratics' "estimate list". Until Test Center was outfitted with the "set skill" command, I relied on emails from people saying "hey, I tamed this earlier than what you have listed" to get more accurate numbers.

Since there's no indication they changed the taming requirements in the few months between November 1999 and April 2000 when I did the final testing, it is 99.9% certain that the numbers currently listed on the site are correct for the time period you want. The numbers listed on my site in November 1999 were estimates and I knew for sure some of them were still wrong.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Weren't drakes harder to tame than dragons in T2A?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

"Leader hell hound" and "leader hell cat".. on UOSA all tame values for hell hounds/hell cats are the same. Also.. hell cats do not seem to spawn in packs, so what is a "leader hell cat". Were these something patched in after T2A?
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

nightshark wrote:"Leader hell hound" and "leader hell cat".. on UOSA all tame values for hell hounds/hell cats are the same. Also.. hell cats do not seem to spawn in packs, so what is a "leader hell cat". Were these something patched in after T2A?
Before, actually, I think.

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

Leader Hell Hounds existed for real. Hell hounds would spawn in a small group with one being a different color and having a higher taming requirement. They were later confirmed to have higher stats as well when Animal Lore got updated to view stats.

Leader Hellcats didn't really exist. People just assumed they did because hell hounds worked that way and there were the rare brightly colored hellcats, similar to leader hell hounds. What was labeled as "leader hellcat" is just a brightly colored (predator) hellcat. Same taming requirement and stats as any other predator hellcat.

This file is dated as last modified Aug 15, 2000 (but the values for taming skill are from late March/early April):
http://www.tamingarchive.com/tamechart.html

The only difference between this chart and the current one are Drakes (lowered in difficulty in 2002) and pack animals had their requirements lowered in some later patch. This is the most accurate list possible for late 1999.

Generic Player

Post by Generic Player »

Bumping because I am not sure how much of this is fixed or still needs fixed. Derrick, can you pull out the minimum taming requirements that are currently being used here from the code so someone can update the wiki page to reflect the current state of the shard?

Faust

Post by Faust »

We used to have 'packs' on here. However, there was some sort of buggy issue with it that would crash the shard. I have no idea if it ever did actually get corrected or not down the road. I'm assuming not since the packs don't seem to have a leader and all appear to be individual creatures acting on their own.

Generic Player

Post by Generic Player »

Oh sorry, I was just referring to the minimum skill required to tame things. What is listed on the wiki is wrong in both senses (not accurate to OSI, and also not what is currently on this shard). It would be nice to get the wiki numbers at least reflecting the current shard numbers, then I know which things to test out and complain about ;)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Generic Player wrote:Oh sorry, I was just referring to the minimum skill required to tame things. What is listed on the wiki is wrong in both senses (not accurate to OSI, and also not what is currently on this shard). It would be nice to get the wiki numbers at least reflecting the current shard numbers, then I know which things to test out and complain about ;)
Aye, our wiki kind of emulates the stratics of era in this way.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."