Swinging on the run.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Iced Earth

Swinging on the run.

Post by Iced Earth »

I was really excited about the combat changes, finally those runners will be punished!!

But then I realized that you still can't swing on the run. Was there really a 1 second delay where you had to stop completely to swing your weapon? It sure would be more fun if your swing went off right when you came into range. At this point, people can still just run away from you and you wont swing at them.

Izual
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Swinging on the run.

Post by Izual »

:(

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Its a one tick delay.. 1/4 of a second if I'm understood correctly.... your swing still charges on the run, you just have to take a tiny pause before the execution of said swing.

Turn that frown upside down :)

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

You can swing on the run, you just have to stop for 1 tick (0.25s) to move to the next swing state.

How it works now:
-Disarm while chasing target
-Continue chasing, wrestle timer counts down
-Wrestle timer gets to 0.0, you must now stop your character briefly to move into the next swing state (note: you must pause BEFORE equipping your hally)
-Now you can equip and chase your opponent down, and swing on the run

You also get the bonus that if you reach your opponent with good timing, you will instantly have another swing ready - double hit

edit: rose beat me to it. yeah, if you're a dexer you'll also have to pause briefly every time your character's counter is at 0
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Nightshark, I think iced earth is talking more about holding a weapon and chasing as a dexer. But Aye, what u say is correct.

Grom

Post by Grom »

aye, it woulda been nice to see this patch actually give dexers some much needed love, instead we have the same problem as always, need to stop (better than the old system, but still bad). In the meantime, Hally mages can still wrestle timer exploit, and can also do double hally whacks, sigh. bullshit imo, please change, this isn't UO, this is hally mage online. Melee needs to be able to swing while on the move, its a primary part of what makes dexers competitive, staying on target and consistently inflicting damage.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Grom............. c'mon dude, equip a hally on a char with 100 dex and tell me your not a god.

Weapons saw a huge increase in damage.. did you not notice?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

nightshark wrote:You can swing on the run, you just have to stop...
:lol:

Grom

Post by Grom »

RoseRIP wrote: c'mon dude, equip a hally
I refuse!

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

Grom wrote:aye, it woulda been nice to see this patch actually give dexers some much needed love, instead we have the same problem as always, need to stop (better than the old system, but still bad). In the meantime, Hally mages can still wrestle timer exploit, and can also do double hally whacks, sigh. bullshit imo, please change, this isn't UO, this is hally mage online. Melee needs to be able to swing while on the move, its a primary part of what makes dexers competitive, staying on target and consistently inflicting damage.

Hally mage online essentially is what the T2A era was. Dexxers are not competitive and will get no love. They will always suck. Hally mages will always own everything pvp.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Eaglestaff wrote:Hally mage online essentially is what the T2A era was. Dexxers are not competitive and will get no love. They will always suck. Hally mages will always own everything pvp.
For pretty equally skilled and well equipped players, the solo mage ran from the solo dexer during our era. Why? The mage had to stop to cast and rarely had much for armor.

But dexers complaining that they couldn't easily kill mages is era accurate, and UO:R brought in special hits, hitting on the run, and death stare from 5 screens away for dexers.

Hally mage was fun to play, but not dominate in the field like the true tank mages and archer mages of pre-t2a. There were plenty of fencers and macers running around, and doing fine, and parry dexers were a pain to kill with another dexer.

UO was a wizard game and magery was the most useful skill. That, and mage pvp is more fun. But this whole "hally mage online" stuff is board pvp and not reflective of field pvp during the era.

Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

If you are still playing the "It takes more skill to play a mage than a 'dexer'" card than I am sorry but you are a total retard.

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

Dexxers cannot kill anything that has wrestling and can cast 4th circle. A dexxer can get a string of hits and force the mage to heal or recall but will never have much of a chance to finish him off. Dexers cannot do large enough amounts of damage in the short time it takes the mage to run and chug, cast heal, or recall. Level one heal is not disruptable and is the fastest way to regen hp in the game. At best the dexxer can keep the mage from dumping a few times but eventually the mage gets the dump off and has a chance for the kill. Dexxers cannot do dumps and therefore cannot make kills against any decent player with wrestling and 4th circle magery. As long as the mage doesnt let his health get too low a lone dexxer will not kill him. The dexxer can only heal with pots and aids that have delays. The dexxer is at the disadvantage in both that he cannot heal as fast as the mage and he can also not do damage as fast as the mage. I used to EASILY hold off 4 dexxers at a time with wrestling and healing spells, not to mention leaving them in the dust with teleport but that was on osi where no one was mounted.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Dexers can still kill a mage, especially using explosion potions.

Don't expect to be able to kill a veteran 7xgm mage with a GM weapon though, usually.

Explosions+GM weapon are decent now though. GM weapons seem to do more damage since the patch witch is good! I am glad that was fixed.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Eaglestaff wrote:Dexxers cannot kill anything that has wrestling and can cast 4th circle. A dexxer can get a string of hits and force the mage to heal or recall but will never have much of a chance to finish him off. Dexers cannot do large enough amounts of damage in the short time it takes the mage to run and chug, cast heal, or recall. Level one heal is not disruptable and is the fastest way to regen hp in the game. At best the dexxer can keep the mage from dumping a few times but eventually the mage gets the dump off and has a chance for the kill. Dexxers cannot do dumps and therefore cannot make kills against any decent player with wrestling and 4th circle magery. As long as the mage doesnt let his health get too low a lone dexxer will not kill him. The dexxer can only heal with pots and aids that have delays. The dexxer is at the disadvantage in both that he cannot heal as fast as the mage and he can also not do damage as fast as the mage. I used to EASILY hold off 4 dexxers at a time with wrestling and healing spells, not to mention leaving them in the dust with teleport but that was on osi where no one was mounted.
My dexer build also had archery and magery so I had a skill to drop runners and another way to heal/cure. He also had high resist, although it probably wasn't GM until UO:R. He was always mounted.

I don't know what shard you were on, but my memories of Atlantic, Cats and Pac is that most pvpers were mounted in the field.