Poll: [cA] Town Add-On Request

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.

Should [cA]'s proposal be accepted?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 125

HI IM MIKE

Re: Poll: [cA] Town Add-On Request

Post by HI IM MIKE »

chumbucket wrote: I have tried to outline the reasons for this already, so I will only direct people back to the original post which makes my rationale very clear and the previous response I made which I believes address all the legitimate concerns people have put forth so far.
We all get what you're saying - we just think you're wrong, which is why we voted 'no'.
nightshark wrote:I can't comment on going out looking for fights for the sake of fights in the field because it's never been something I've been interested in.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Thank you to the majority of you who have voted for this. Thank you also to Stranger who has managed to express his doubts honestly and respectfully.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

A thought just occurred to me.

A few people have worried that this will lead to more and more people wanting the ability to acquire these sorts of items. I doubt really that it would lead to a major influx of orders, given that these will presumably cost a decent amount of gold and/or silver were they to be made acquirable and yet have no tangible benefits to gameplay. But, putting that fact aside, why not then do this as a gold sink?

Roughly, here's the idea: Guildmasters of large or long-standing guilds can order these items for players in their guild for a cost of, say for the sake of illustration, 500,000 gold. The jewelery would be exactly as I have described them: They could not be traded, lost, stolen or even placed on the ground. They could only be in a player's backpack or worn by that very same player. They would have no special hues. These items would be given a custom name chosen by the guildmaster and approved by staff. No one else would be able to select that name for these items.

If others are right and there would be big demand for such items, then we have a useful gold sink that otherwise has zero effect on gameplay. If I am right and there would not be a big demand for them, then we have a small gold sink that otherwise has zero effect on gameplay. In either case, guildmasters would have a useful tool for encouraging their guildies to take part in whatever sort of activities the guild favors, which benefits both the guild and the shard.

So, in the end, they would make a nice addition to the shard without hurting actual gameplay and bringing in Trammel items (like neon masks).

Just a thought.

SVrider

Post by SVrider »

i feel stranger wanting to agree with chum.... ever so badly.... mmmmm... bracelets
RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Fun stuff. Enjoy your jewelry, ladies, and you better hope I don't figure out a way to steal it and smelt it.

Maleus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Maleus »

chumbucket wrote:A thought just occurred to me.

A few people have worried that this will lead to more and more people wanting the ability to acquire these sorts of items. I doubt really that it would lead to a major influx of orders, given that these will presumably cost a decent amount of gold and/or silver were they to be made acquirable and yet have no tangible benefits to gameplay. But, putting that fact aside, why not then do this as a gold sink?

Roughly, here's the idea: Guildmasters of large or long-standing guilds can order these items for players in their guild for a cost of, say for the sake of illustration, 500,000 gold. The jewelery would be exactly as I have described them: They could not be traded, lost, stolen or even placed on the ground. They could only be in a player's backpack or worn by that very same player. They would have no special hues. These items would be given a custom name chosen by the guildmaster and approved by staff. No one else would be able to select that name for these items.

If others are right and there would be big demand for such items, then we have a useful gold sink that otherwise has zero effect on gameplay. If I am right and there would not be a big demand for them, then we have a small gold sink that otherwise has zero effect on gameplay. In either case, guildmasters would have a useful tool for encouraging their guildies to take part in whatever sort of activities the guild favors, which benefits both the guild and the shard.

So, in the end, they would make a nice addition to the shard without hurting actual gameplay and bringing in Trammel items (like neon masks).

Just a thought.
This is almost exactly what I was suggesting. As long as they are available to everyone via a standardized system, without having to have a shard poll about it, I have no objection.
Last edited by Maleus on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

they'd have to be very expensive though.

like REALLY expensive.

also, any idea what derrick thinks of this?

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

marmalade wrote:they'd have to be very expensive though.

like REALLY expensive.

also, any idea what derrick thinks of this?
No clue what D thinks, but I think pricing would need be as expensive as is maximally effective as a gold sink without being so common as to Trammelize the shard. You don't want them so expensive that no one ever gets one: that would defeat the idea of it is as a gold sink. You don't want them so cheap that everyone gets one: that might be a decent gold sink, but would just make them Trammel. I threw out 500k off the top of my head, but it strikes me as a decent balance.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Another reason to vote yes:

<felix> if you f***ers get a town add on im quitting the guild

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

I should get a town add on for killing everyone, but the add on should be a blessed wearable.

I agree with mal and mike, but Ill vote yes anyway (nerds).
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

son wrote:I should get a town add on for killing everyone, but the add on should be a blessed wearable.
You make my soul cry.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Maybe the town add on should be a deed to a forge that you could never place, but it was blessed. It would say "Matron's forge for smelting tunics". It would not be steal-able, and only I could carry it.

Emphasis on add on and not wearable.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Freeza

Post by Freeza »

I vote yes, cA as a guild does not ask for much - they def deserve this.
Last edited by Freeza on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markmosthandsome wrote:
Finesse wrote:-f- disbanded no comment.
lol wtf I'm in the guild and Idk what's going on....

<Pristiq> Shut up prodigy you anti-intellectual simian.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Is this for real? or is this just mocking the number of individual items that have been introduced to the game in this shard?

If this is for real, then my vote for no is because it will not create ANYTHING of value for the shard. The idea of town-add ons, as someone else has said, it to create a "town" feel to some player run areas of the map, in hopes of creating activity in areas other than your regular towns. The effectiveness of such add-ons, and the way some of them have been granted here is certainly debatable, but that is not the subject of this discussion.

Regardless, town add-ons are an incentive for active RP guilds to maintain activity and help give the shard a more "active" feel inviting players to roam the world more, not something an individual can carry along and show off. Apart of being an incentive for a select group of griefers to out-grief themselves, what are the benefits for the shard? Make for a fun read in the forums? Create more activity within [cA]? Create more griefers who want to join [cA]? I still don't see the long term benefit for the shard as opposed to the long term benefits of [cA].

The gold sink idea makes much more sense, and would be willing to consider something like that, but it would essentially be like adding a blessed item to the list of things you can redeem silver for, so... :?
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Pirul wrote:Is this for real? or is this just mocking the number of individual items that have been introduced to the game in this shard?

If this is for real, then my vote for no is because it will not create ANYTHING of value for the shard. The idea of town-add ons, as someone else has said, it to create a "town" feel to some player run areas of the map, in hopes of creating activity in areas other than your regular towns. The effectiveness of such add-ons, and the way some of them have been granted here is certainly debatable, but that is not the subject of this discussion.

Regardless, town add-ons are an incentive for active RP guilds to maintain activity and help give the shard a more "active" feel inviting players to roam the world more, not something an individual can carry along and show off. Apart of being an incentive for a select group of griefers to out-grief themselves, what are the benefits for the shard? Make for a fun read in the forums? Create more activity within [cA]? Create more griefers who want to join [cA]? I still don't see the long term benefit for the shard as opposed to the long term benefits of [cA].

The gold sink idea makes much more sense, and would be willing to consider something like that, but it would essentially be like adding a blessed item to the list of things you can redeem silver for, so... :?
I'm trying to make a policy of not responding to rude posts about this especially ones with obvious chips on their shoulder, but I'm gonna respond to this anyways.

1. Town add-ons are not only given to RP guilds here.

2. I'm not aiming to do the usual town add-on thing, nor to achieve the goals of the town add on program (if there are even explicit goals laid out by staff). I'm asking for it in this manner because it seemed the best fit for the idea even if it isn't a perfect fit.

3. I simply disagree about the long term benefit to the shard. [cA] is a good guild for UOSA, and we think this would help us and the shard in ways that are not as obvious as, say, mYm private PvP arena but help nonetheless.

4. I, more and more, think this would be a good idea for a general gold sink. I simply can't see that you've made a point against that by alluding to the fact that there is a silver system set up to encourage people to attend events.