Poll: [cA] Town Add-On Request

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.

Should [cA]'s proposal be accepted?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 125

HI IM MIKE

Re: Poll: [cA] Town Add-On Request

Post by HI IM MIKE »

I don't really think this falls under 'town add-ons'. I have no problem with [cA] getting something like this, however I think it should be purchased with silver under the 'unique reward' category and should be payed for respectively. Other than that - i'm all for it.
nightshark wrote:I can't comment on going out looking for fights for the sake of fights in the field because it's never been something I've been interested in.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Well, the idea of a "cA" town, complete with add-ons works against what we work for. Certainly a den of thieves would not want foot traffic, public areas, duel pits, public stables, etc. I think this is a perfectly reasonable request, at least in this case you can be sure that the "add-ons" will not be transfered to other guilds (who are not paying for it), or even sold.. ever. The item will be affixed to the player permanently.

HI IM MIKE

Post by HI IM MIKE »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Well, the idea of a "cA" town, complete with add-ons works against what we work for.
Which is exactly why this is the entirely wrong way to go about it.
nightshark wrote:I can't comment on going out looking for fights for the sake of fights in the field because it's never been something I've been interested in.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

HI IM MIKE wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:Well, the idea of a "cA" town, complete with add-ons works against what we work for.
Which is exactly why this is the entirely wrong way to go about it.
How so

HI IM MIKE

Post by HI IM MIKE »

You are asking for a wearable, not a static town add-on. ALL custom wearables have been/are obtained via the silver system, and I see no reason why your 'bracelet' should be any different. chumbucket has already said he is willing to pay for these. It is just my opinion that the method of payment should be silver, rather than gold.

SVrider

Post by SVrider »

i'm all for the idea and think it will inspire a great guild activity within the UOSA community. if more guilds creatively promoted functions & rewards alike, the world would be a better place.
RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

HI IM MIKE wrote:ALL custom wearables have been/are obtained via the silver system, and I see no reason why your 'bracelet' should be any different.
Unique rewards have always been expressly non wearable, and outside of uniques the silver system will not otherwise provide for one player, anything that wouldn't be available to another. This is certainly a unique request that doesn't really fit neatly anywhere into prior policy, however I think the "guild?" add-on is probably the most appropriate fit.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

HI IM MIKE

Post by HI IM MIKE »

You're the boss Derrick, but for some reason it just doesn't feel right to me. Who gives a shit what I think anyways? ;DDDDDDD

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Many people will vote yes here because chum and Matron are so loved. I have no problem with either of them. I find them funny and entertaining. However, a lot of people here help the shard. I make it a point to report any bugs I think I may have found (Though I am not always right). I answer questions, give gates, and even supply new players with gold/items or help. But I am not asking for a medal for it. I believe helping others benefits us because it allows our player base to grow. I have been around here for some time, and long long ago I asked Derrick if I could have a bracelet with my name on it as a unique reward (From the trophy system). Derrick informed me that would not be possible. That unique items cannot be wearables. I see absolutely no reason that chum should have an item with his name attached to it that he can hand out when he wants that someone can have at his discretion. Im not trying to be a jerk or anything here I just do not think its fair. Chum is not staff, he is simply a player (albeit an entertaining and well liked one) here on this shard and in my opinion does not deserve the power to hand out gm created items. The only fair way I could see something like this being allowed would be this item to be bought as a unique item via the silver reward system, and also allow other plays to buy items with their names that are essentially blessed. While the item chum speaks of may have no resell value, it still adds a level of prestige to be able to wear something that no one else has. It would be like there being one pair of specially hued sandals on the shard and only one person could have them. Town add on's are different. They are not something that a single person can enjoy but something that I feel enhances the entire shard. Derrick is very good at crafting some beautiful custom cities. It enhances the shard to have such places for people to view. I see no such benefit in a bragging rights item for a single player to own. No disrespect to cA, but I do not think this should be allowed to happen.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

I disagree with Stranger.

It seems to me entirely fair that we should get these given that we have a insanely long track record of being a part of the shard, asked for them, taken extreme care to ensure that we get not gameplay benefits from them, outlined the benefits to the shard for having them, and they in the end continue to prove broadly popular with the shard.

Indeed, I think these are far fairer than many custom town items, which, although publicly available, benefit the owners of the town far more than the occasional player who shows up at their town. Having a personal stables or a secure and personal pvp arena is a HUGE boon to gameplay. Ask ACE whose custom stables provided them with an easy way to become Tamer PKers when virtually no one else could. Not a swipe at ACE mind you. I enjoyed it when they had those, but even so they received a huge benefit. We at [cA], on the other hand, will get no tangible benefit from these other than increased [cA] activity and the "prestige" Stranger refers to for the winners.

HI IM MIKE

Post by HI IM MIKE »

Stranger wrote:Many people will vote yes here because chum and Matron are so loved. I have no problem with either of them. I find them funny and entertaining. However, a lot of people here help the shard. I make it a point to report any bugs I think I may have found (Though I am not always right). I answer questions, give gates, and even supply new players with gold/items or help. But I am not asking for a medal for it. I believe helping others benefits us because it allows our player base to grow. I have been around here for some time, and long long ago I asked Derrick if I could have a bracelet with my name on it as a unique reward (From the trophy system). Derrick informed me that would not be possible. That unique items cannot be wearables. I see absolutely no reason that chum should have an item with his name attached to it that he can hand out when he wants that someone can have at his discretion. Im not trying to be a jerk or anything here I just do not think its fair. Chum is not staff, he is simply a player (albeit an entertaining and well liked one) here on this shard and in my opinion does not deserve the power to hand out gm created items. The only fair way I could see something like this being allowed would be this item to be bought as a unique item via the silver reward system, and also allow other plays to buy items with their names that are essentially blessed. While the item chum speaks of may have no resell value, it still adds a level of prestige to be able to wear something that no one else has. It would be like there being one pair of specially hued sandals on the shard and only one person could have them. Town add on's are different. They are not something that a single person can enjoy but something that I feel enhances the entire shard. Derrick is very good at crafting some beautiful custom cities. It enhances the shard to have such places for people to view. I see no such benefit in a bragging rights item for a single player to own. No disrespect to cA, but I do not think this should be allowed to happen.
+1

Maleus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Maleus »

Stranger wrote:Many people will vote yes here because chum and Matron are so loved. I have no problem with either of them. I find them funny and entertaining. However, a lot of people here help the shard. I make it a point to report any bugs I think I may have found (Though I am not always right). I answer questions, give gates, and even supply new players with gold/items or help. But I am not asking for a medal for it. I believe helping others benefits us because it allows our player base to grow. I have been around here for some time, and long long ago I asked Derrick if I could have a bracelet with my name on it as a unique reward (From the trophy system). Derrick informed me that would not be possible. That unique items cannot be wearables. I see absolutely no reason that chum should have an item with his name attached to it that he can hand out when he wants that someone can have at his discretion. Im not trying to be a jerk or anything here I just do not think its fair. Chum is not staff, he is simply a player (albeit an entertaining and well liked one) here on this shard and in my opinion does not deserve the power to hand out gm created items. The only fair way I could see something like this being allowed would be this item to be bought as a unique item via the silver reward system, and also allow other plays to buy items with their names that are essentially blessed. While the item chum speaks of may have no resell value, it still adds a level of prestige to be able to wear something that no one else has. It would be like there being one pair of specially hued sandals on the shard and only one person could have them. Town add on's are different. They are not something that a single person can enjoy but something that I feel enhances the entire shard. Derrick is very good at crafting some beautiful custom cities. It enhances the shard to have such places for people to view. I see no such benefit in a bragging rights item for a single player to own. No disrespect to cA, but I do not think this should be allowed to happen.
Agreed, as I believe this could cause a cascade effect in which everyone who thinks they do something for the shard wants a badge for it. I still don't quite understand how this benefits anyone but cA members. Make a GM tailor named whatever you want and put a mark on a sash or something, then buy a bless deed. Nothing personal against cA but this is a firm no from me. Guilds should be active by their own will, not because someone is going to give them a treat for it. If you are going to make it available to them, make them available to everyone via the silver system.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Maleus wrote:
Agreed, as I believe this could cause a cascade effect in which everyone who thinks they do something for the shard wants a badge for it. I still don't quite understand how this benefits anyone but cA members. Make a GM tailor named whatever you want and put a mark on a sash or something, then buy a bless deed. Nothing personal against cA but this is a firm no from me. Guilds should be active by their own will, not because someone is going to give them a treat for it. If you are going to make it available to them, make them available to everyone via the silver system.
I guess I just don't follow the line of thought here. It seems to be the combination of three things that worry people: (1) That the item has no direct effects on gameplay, (2) that it is not available to everyone, and (3) Maleus' cascade effect.

(1) I thought was a point in its favor.

(2) is false. We are attempting to acquire these items through a system that anyone can use.

(3) is doubtful. There has long been a town add on system, and not every guild in the world is asking for something that would significantly benefit their gameplay. They would not suddenly doing so because they realize they maybe could get something (for a huge amount of gold and silver) that does not benefit their own gameplay.

And [cA] has been long active of our own will.

Maleus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Maleus »

chumbucket wrote:
I guess I just don't follow the line of thought here. It seems to be the combination of three things that worry people: (1) That the item has no direct effects on gameplay, (2) that it is not available to everyone, and (3) Maleus' cascade effect.

(2) is false. We are attempting to acquire these items through a system that anyone can use.

(3) is doubtful. There has long been a town add on system, and not every guild in the world is asking for something that would significantly benefit their gameplay. They would not suddenly doing so because they realize they maybe could get something (for a huge amount of gold and silver) that does not benefit their own gameplay.

If [cA] is already highly active, why is this necessary? Also, if this item only carries sentimental value, what's wrong with my sash idea or making a [cA] member of the month post on the forums. What you are asking for is a unique wearable item that only benefits cA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the town add-on system was to try to make other areas of the map active with people instead of just WBB and the GY, not to be some pat on the back from staff for being what can subjectively be called active. Your argument seems to be one of "we are as active as anyone else and deserve add-ons, but don't have/want a town so give us this instead. People can actually use the UOSA museum, the ACE duel pit, or even the $$$ Cock Statue. I can't see any use for your jewelry. I see no problem with you getting this, but make guild medals available to everyone via the silver system because every time a member of PoV kills a pk I would like to give them a medal also.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Maleus wrote:
chumbucket wrote:

If [cA] is already highly active, why is this necessary? Also, if this item only carries sentimental value, what's wrong with my sash idea or making a [cA] member of the month post on the forums. What you are asking for is a unique wearable item that only benefits cA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the town add-on system was to try to make other areas of the map active with people instead of just WBB and the GY, not to be some pat on the back from staff for being what can subjectively be called active. Your argument seems to be one of "we are as active as anyone else and deserve add-ons, but don't have/want a town so give us this instead. People can actually use the UOSA museum, the ACE duel pit, or even the $$$ Cock Statue. I can't see any use for your jewelry. I see no problem with you getting this, but make guild medals available to everyone via the silver system because every time a member of PoV kills a pk I would like to give them a medal also.
I have tried to outline the reasons for this already, so I will only direct people back to the original post which makes my rationale very clear and the previous response I made which I believes address all the legitimate concerns people have put forth so far.