Poll: [cA] Town Add-On Request

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.

Should [cA]'s proposal be accepted?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 125

Joueur Moyen

Re: Poll: [cA] Town Add-On Request

Post by Joueur Moyen »

What other town add-on on the shard is completely free from disruption by other players? I don't know that much about town add-ons.

Would this be the only "town" add-on that is free from disruption or grief?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

chumbucket wrote:I'm trying to make a policy of not responding to rude posts about this especially ones with obvious chips on their shoulder, but I'm gonna respond to this anyways.

1. Town add-ons are not only given to RP guilds here.

2. I'm not aiming to do the usual town add-on thing, nor to achieve the goals of the town add on program (if there are even explicit goals laid out by staff). I'm asking for it in this manner because it seemed the best fit for the idea even if it isn't a perfect fit.

3. I simply disagree about the long term benefit to the shard. [cA] is a good guild for UOSA, and we think this would help us and the shard in ways that are not as obvious as, say, mYm private PvP arena but help nonetheless.

4. I, more and more, think this would be a good idea for a general gold sink. I simply can't see that you've made a point against that by alluding to the fact that there is a silver system set up to encourage people to attend events.
Ok, let me say I did not intend the tone of my post as rude, and I definetly don't have a chip on my shoulder, since I have never been griefed by you. Having said that, and since you asked for the reasons why people had voted no, here's my reasoning to your reply:

1.- I know, and I have never said that I agree with the policy of how town add-ons have been granted, and to whom. This is a topic for another thread, and not one discussing add-ons for one specific guild.

2.- Fair enough, but I still think it is arbitrary to be able to grant an "add-on" to a person in a discretionary manner, specially one that is wearable. I too am a GM, and my guild is not so innactive, but nonetheless, I would not ask for this out of principle. But since you asked for it in this manner (via an open forum asking for opinions) I provided my point of view.

3.- I do agree cA is an intrical part of UOSA, and I hope it stays that way. Just as we hope C^V, NEW, and other guilds continue to be a contributing factor for UOSA's growth. I have not seen a cA sponsored event (other than Matrons tamed fights, which I don't think they took off) and thus I can not see clearly how much it would benefit UOSA as a whole as opposed to just cA, as the only clear example given is to motivate players of a well established guild, with little or no apparent rotation. Again, mYm's private PvP arena, how it was granted, and why it's still there is subject to another discussion (as is K^A town, TB, etc.).

4.- My point was missed completely, as it was not an endorsement of events, as much as the ability for anyone to go out, farm liches, buy silver and turn it in for items. And when I said:
Pirul wrote:The gold sink idea makes much more sense, and would be willing to consider something like that
I actually was taking your side on the argument. Further clarifying my disclaimer that it would be like adding items to the silver turn-in system, I just think it should not be strictly limited to Guild Masters, as the unguilded or unfavored population will be inclined to resign their current guilds, and make their own private guild to be able to access these add-ons, because, being frank, half a mill is not THAT hard to save. The way it is instrumented would have to be well thought out.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Oh, impresive list. I hadn't noticed you did so many of them since most are before my time here on UOSA, I've only been here 6 months.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Kander
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kander »

Vote yes!!! har har har

[08:52] <Spitfire|work> chain knows, he's cleaned more houses than that erotic maid service

Pacifico

Post by Pacifico »

I sorta (Not really) get what you mean about having jewelry but would you rather us have a giant statue of the person who one day gets this in the middle of cA land? We have a town but we are bards, we don't take glory in golden brick roads to fantasy factory castles. Our style is one piece of the puzzle that makes UOSA amazing, we are just trying to keep it interesting.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Before I vote a few questions :D
chumbucket wrote:
To that end, I intend to establish a special prize given to [cA] members for the performance of extraordinary deeds in the spirit of [cA]. The prize will be extremely rare. Who receives the prize will be completely at my discretion. It will be known as the chumbucket Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Applied Bardery.
What is the spirit of cA that you are referring to?
Will there be a 'quota' of this prize given out? example - every 6 months the greatest act of bardery is rewarded. Or would it be more USA Medal of Honor style, where it is barely ever given out?
Everyone loves an awards ceremony :D
chumbucket wrote: We are proposing this as a town add-on. Hence, we would be willing to pay for these harmless items in the same way that other guilds pay for arenas, private stables, private forts, special "wargs", special free pvp areas, and so on. We believe that a large amount (to be determined by staff) of gold and silver would be the appropriate form of payment, which would have the added bonus of being a small gold sink.
It is an interesting approach to aquiring this item(s). It wouldn't be the first time a custom titled item was granted to a guild (See Kingdom of Ascalons Royal Charter). What provisions/cost were put on the item I dont know, I am goign to guess we never will since the creator and gm liason is gone now. There are also custom wearable items created for the UOSA pvp seasons, granted to the champions (well earned).
So its deffinately not somthing completely new, just the method of creation/aquisition is.

While we do (I feel) badly need a gold sink, I dont know if buying custom wearable items is the place. Personally, I would rather them be earned through shard participation (which Im guessing the act of bardery will be?) than bought (if you dont consider gold farming/trading earning :P).

Answers/thoughts?
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

BlackFoot wrote:Personally, I would rather them be earned through shard participation (which Im guessing the act of bardery will be?)

Answers/thoughts?
The first one will go the first person, [cA] or otherwise, to make you quit the shard, Judas.

I kid. Seriously, the point of the item being a bracelet or ring or necklace with no special hue is that, while it is custom wearable, it is extremely unobtrusive wrt to game atmosphere. I really hate it every time I see someone in, say, a blessed green deer mask. On [cA], I don't intend to reward these for throwing events, but for massive scams, major heists, or absolutely hilarious antics. The way I described it to [cA] in private is this: If it is the sort of thing people will still recall a year later, then it stands a good chances of winning. I really want this to be uber-rare. I don't intend to give them out very often all. A couple a year tops, I would think.

I actually think now that this would make a great gold sink given both its minimal impact on gameplay and its minimal impact even on the atmosphere of the game while giving guildmasters an interesting tool to develop their guild. I'm not convinced that it would in the end be a major gold sink, but I think that is just an argument for having a variety of gold sinks.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Could you provide a quick summary of two or three bardic moments in UOSA history that, if the award had been in practice, would have been in the running for consideration for this most prestigous honour?

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Remember that time that that person did that thing and it was like OMG...i can't believe he/she did that? Holy crap that was awesome and totally deserved a reward.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

BlackFoot wrote:Could you provide a quick summary of two or three bardic moments in UOSA history that, if the award had been in practice, would have been in the running for consideration for this most prestigous honour?
The time I stole a castle and used the proceeds to establish some nutty foundation to give away gold to either help newbies or do dastardly deeds.

The time Matron stole a keep and make -F- quit.

The time applejack, Matron, and I held the $$$ tower hostage.

The time Matron concocted the idea of giving Hemperor's tamer a ton of murder counts.

That's about it. The thing about them isn't just the size of the bardery but the buzz on the shard. All of these things were, and still are, much discussed on the shard. People still come up to me and say hey aren't you the guy from the forums that stole that castle.

Looking at that list, I should probably just call the Matron de Winter Award for Oustanding Achievement in the Field of Applied Bardery (but my ego demands that I not).

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

I have voted a tentative YES
based on method of aquirization :D

I could see this being a positive 'rp' element used for more than just cA, but for all guilds in general.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

SHould add that this is not retroactive, and does not mean that Chum, apple, and I will get awards or anything.

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

what?!?

i resign from my guild.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

yossarian
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by yossarian »

Yes, but i hope this dose not become a circular thing:
"We need add ons to make us more active -> we are active we need addons -> repeat"
Due to the nature of cA I don't think that will happen, but something to consider if it comes up again with a different guild.