All right! Where are they, cuz I wants 'em!

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
SighelmofWyrmgard

All right! Where are they, cuz I wants 'em!

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

I'm referring to the in-game books authored by various Ultima personalities:
  • Lord British wrote a book entitled, "Virtue";
    Blackthorne wrote a book (can't remember the title), explaining his "Virtue" of Chaos;
    Lord British wrote another book (can't remember the title), describing his encounter with the Britishes of other shards (including, IIRC, the British of Siege);
    others I plain don't remember in any detail
I want copies of these as reference resources for my guild: if they do exist here at UOSA, someone kindly advise where; if they don't, I am sure the material must exist somewhere on the internet, and I am quite happy to provide the transcription/inscriptions required to add them to UOSA libraries everywhere.

Does anyone have any information?

SS

EDIT: Stratics has (at least some) of the texts posted; are they here, otherwise?

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Derrick

Re: All right! Where are they, cuz I wants 'em!

Post by Derrick »

They are all in game, but most bookcases in town do not spawn books, currently.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

SighelmofWyrmgard

Thanks, Derrick.

Can you advise regarding my next most-sensible course of action?

Shall I send my minions forth 'cross the lands on a Quest for The Books (if they are not spawning, they may have all been stolen); or is there a better way for me to lay my UOSA hands upon them?

Once I have them, they will be available to all: I have a scribe who can restore lost/stolen books to any/all the public libraries.

BTW, on the subject of public libraries, why don't we have the red moongate between Britain Library and the Lycaeum?

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Try the counsellor's guild in East Britain.

A while back I stole the whole set of UO books from the bookshelves there.

swaswj

Post by swaswj »

A minor thing somewhat related to this:

It used to be that if you wrote a long enough book (I don't remember the length), and put it on an NPC shelf, it would start circulating like the NPC books.

It takes a while to notice since the original books are so plentiful and thus take over the respawn, but I once wrote a short story, put it in a building near British's castle, and later ended up with 3 copies: one from Moonglow, one from Trinsic, and one from another bookshelf in the original building. "Later" meaning I found one later that day and the other two within a few months.

I don't know if this was automatic coding or the GMs randomly checking player-written books. I know the short story wasn't that good, looking back on it now. I would lean toward automatic, because I found some very strange player-written books several times.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

The british of siege would be like evil other dimension superman.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

swaswj wrote:A minor thing somewhat related to this:

It used to be that if you wrote a long enough book (I don't remember the length), and put it on an NPC shelf, it would start circulating like the NPC books.

It takes a while to notice since the original books are so plentiful and thus take over the respawn, but I once wrote a short story, put it in a building near British's castle, and later ended up with 3 copies: one from Moonglow, one from Trinsic, and one from another bookshelf in the original building. "Later" meaning I found one later that day and the other two within a few months.

I don't know if this was automatic coding or the GMs randomly checking player-written books. I know the short story wasn't that good, looking back on it now. I would lean toward automatic, because I found some very strange player-written books several times.
The demo displays this pretty well

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

SighelmofWyrmgard

But some of those "really weird and really bad" books were "authentic", because the authors' works were referred-to in the works that were indisputedly "canon" ...

BTW, the British of Siege, IIRC, looked dishevelled and exhausted and haunted: it required the constant expenditure of all his remaining "power" to prevent his world from collapsing "into the darkness".

Regarding that recollection, I'm experiencing a Bizarro-world moment: Stratics has the text, written by Sherri the Mouse (an authentic Ultima personality), describing the Time Lord visiting Lord British, and this book I (now) remember well; Stratics does not however, list any book wherein LB communes with his "other-shard" selves; maybe that book was indeed player-written ...

I played on Chesapeake; does anyone remember the book to which I'm referring; does anyone who played on a different shard remember that book?

Anyway, what about that red moongate, hmmm; was that something that was only on Chesapeake?

SS

EDIT: Red Moongate references:

http://uo.stratics.com/content/atlas/britain.shtml

http://uo.stratics.com/content/atlas/moonglow.shtml

I did not play UO at all, period, cancelled my account and never logged-in again, after the launch of UOR; I can't attest that the Moongate is original publish, but it definitely existed during our era.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Can we find any screenshots with the exact locations of these moongates? Are we sure about this? I only played era too. I do not remember these.

Please send link to that book you found too.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

are you talking about the books that spawn in town library bookcases?

SighelmofWyrmgard

Derrick wrote:Can we find any screenshots with the exact locations of these moongates? Are we sure about this? I only played era too. I do not remember these.

Please send link to that book you found too.

The Stratics pages I've cited mention the red moongates in association with the appropriate building: Public Library in Britain, Lycaeum on Verity Isle; the Library gate was on the second floor, while the Lycaeum gate was on the main floor (and I think right in the center of the complex); it's possible that the coordinates given on Stratics are indeed for these moongates, but they are probably only for the centers of the buildings (like all other coordinates given on these pages).

No screenshot, but this page refers to these moongates (begin reading from the paragraph that begins, "Lord Luker has ...):

http://members.tripod.com/ultima_thule/seconage.html

I found that page just a second ago; anachronistically, it seems itself to be T2A-era-accurate, lol (I looked for a publish date, but didn't see one ... the advertisement at the top is hawking the T2A upgrade for $7 :shock: ).

I'll do something right now: send my THunter (who has a sextant) to the coordinates Stratics provides; if these locations precisely match my recollections, then we're lucky; otherwise, I'll present my "best remembered guess" as to the precise tile each gate should occupy.

Oooh! Oooh! I haz an o-fish-al UOSA mission!

Re: Link to Book, I'm not sure what you are asking: "The Gathering of the LBs" is a book that I'd swear I remember, but does not appear anywhere in the list posted on Stratics; for what it may be worth to anyone, the Stratics link is here:

http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_con ... tent=31602

The "canon" books appear listed under, "Stealable In Game Books".

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks. I misread, I thought you meant you had a link to the missing book, however some of these other books don't sound familiar, although I'm sure 9/10 of hem are currently on UOSA.

On the sextant coords, I went to them, they appear generic to the building and the sextant does not have tile accuracy either. If you are in game, you can type "-where" to get tile coords (Razor command) If you could at least send me those to know where you think those red gates were, it's a good starting point.

Thanks!

SighelmofWyrmgard

O-tay,

Stratics coordinates are for the signs at the entrances of the buildings (drat, but that's precisely what I expected).

My best recollections point to:

Lycaeum: 56, 57'N, 149, 54'W; on the marble dais, in front of the statue;
Library: 1, 29'N, 6, 11'E; SECOND FLOOR, west end of red carpet, south end of long table.

EDIT: Razor gave me the tile reference 1411, 1607, 50 for Britain Library; I haven't gone back to the Lycaeum (because I don't have a red moongate, dammit!), but in the middle of that dais in front of the statue is pretty hard to miss ...

The "Lord Luker" crap that I've cited above supports the Lycaeum location I've offered, but only vaguely supports the Library location.

Can't we send UOSA minions to infiltrate any "production" shards, lol?

SS
Last edited by SighelmofWyrmgard on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:Can't we send UOSA minions to infiltrate any "production" shards, lol?
Yes we can definately do that, and likely the best solution. Would like to leave this open for a while to hopefully gather more confirmation of this.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Could this be the origin of that red moongate? Ambiguous wording, but they don't explicitly say the moongates ever dissapeared.

12 Jul 1998
>About 2 days ago, there was a red moongate, on the 2nd floor of Britains
>larger library. (the one by LB's castle). It led to the library in
>moonglow. Also it had 2 runes on the floor next to it, which led to the
>counselors guild in Britain. Have these always been here? Am I missing
>something fun?

The red moongates in the library was put there to transport players to
the Lecture that was being given in Moonglow.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... 29fd5ba812

Next mention I could find dates from just before UOR.

19 Apr 2000
Moonglow seems to be relatively safe, until everyone finds out about the
permanent red moongate to the Lycaeum on the second floor of the Britain
Library... oops let the cat out of the bag ;) It's funny when people spam
"Need gate to Moonglow!" at the west britain bank, literally one screen away
from a permenant gate there...
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... b213e4174b

This is much later, but the gate was apparently one-way then.

4 Jul 2001
It's also not the only Atlantic-only gate.

The Britain Library has a red moongate on the 2nd floor (Felluca only) that
leads to the Lyceum on Verity Isle. It's a one way gate though... there is
no gate on the Moonglow side.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... e0c8b9e7c4

All three of these posts are from Atlantic, so likely shard specific. Theres gotta be screenies of this somewhere though.