Help with a PVP/PK char, STATS/ADVICE ONLY

Moderator: Support Moderators

noob

Help with a PVP/PK char, STATS/ADVICE ONLY

Post by noob »

Hi people, i've been digging around and normally would not ask for assistance but the problem is we are running an older version, so most of the third party forum trolling yields incorrect information...

I'm a noob to UO all together but have been pking since EQ(talk about unbalanced pvp, lol) all the way up through WoW and just about every other pvp mmorpg in between. Favorite so far : Shadowsbane, FFA pvp with no penalty! :evil:

My template approx:

Magery
Meditation
Evaluating Intelligence
Resisting Spells
Archery
Tactics
Wrestling or Anatomy (I haven't decided and I don't need 100 posts about why one is better, I've read ALL of those!!! NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD!! Don't want help with the template, just the questions below, please.)

My questions are as follows:

1. In this version does STR still effect bow damage, AND how does dex effect bow damage?

2. Are there uber bows that require 80 str 80 dex to equip or similar items that may sway my choice of stats? (even if you don't consider them options, but please explain your reasons why they aren't good options)

3. If you were going to make a char with this template, how would you most likely stat it and why?

4. Advice on getting ammo, or maybe i should stay away from archery until i get another weapon skill high enough to farm them off npcs? Or perhaps i should lumber-fletch or just fletch and buy ingredients until i can farm them then go back to original template?

Answer one or all, anything helps! Thanks in advance for your advice!

Prurk

Re: Help with a PVP/PK char, STATS/ADVICE ONLY

Post by Prurk »

noob wrote: 1. In this version does STR still effect bow damage, AND how does dex effect bow damage?
STR affects all weapon damage iirc, dex increases your stamina. The fuller your stamina is the faster you will hit or shoot.
noob wrote: 2. Are there uber bows that require 80 str 80 dex to equip or similar items that may sway my choice of stats? (even if you don't consider them options, but please explain your reasons why they aren't good options)
No item in the game requires any stats to wield. Your stats and skills affect how well you use the items.
noob wrote: 3. If you were going to make a char with this template, how would you most likely stat it and why?
100 str 100 int 25 dex
Your bow of choice will be the hard hitting heavy xbow for this template, and its VERY slow. You'll want as much life (str) and mana (int) for maximum survivability, spell usage, and mana regen
noob wrote: 4. Advice on getting ammo, or maybe i should stay away from archery until i get another weapon skill high enough to farm them off npcs? Or perhaps i should lumber-fletch or just fletch and buy ingredients until i can farm them then go back to original template?
Glad you asked this. I'd recommend trying Swords or Maces first. Archery is more of a group skill when put on a template like this. Very few players pull off the archer/tankmage properly. As a new UO player you may find it less frustrating(and less expensive) to take a melee skill. All your spells are ranged anyway.
noob wrote: Wrestling or Anatomy (I haven't decided and I don't need 100 posts about why one is better, I've read ALL of those!!! NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD!! Don't want help with the template, just the questions below, please.)
I know you didnt want to hear this, but without wrestling you are screwed the second you try to cast a spell in a pvp situation. You see chance to hit is calculated like this:

FORMULA: Hit Chance= ( Attacker's Weapon Ability + 50 ) ÷ ( [Defender's Weapon Ability + 50] x 2 )

If both you and your attacker have 100 weapon skill you each have a 50% chance to hit eachother (disregarding any parry skill). Wrestling is considered a combat skill. Without wrestling you have a 100% chance of being hit when you drop your weapon to cast. This will lead to constant interrupts and a huge headache. Wrestling is THE best pvp skill. Most will agree. Also, while anatomy does provide a damage bonus to your weapons, it is not large enough to make up for the fast that you'll never get a spell off if the other person decides to attack you in any way shape or form. I could sit there and spam fireball and you'd never get a heal off. Avoid anatomy unless you are taking healing (for this template).

welcome to the shard, enjoy your stay.

venox

Post by venox »

tis a common template with wrestle, so you dont get shreaded if you dont equip a bow(ie casting a spell)

stats are 100str 100int 25dex

and if u are macroing up your stats start with 60 int (this method will have approx 5k fee to train all your skills) then set a marcro using herding until u get 100 str and one for int using spirit speak(while keeping these skills pts up yet without the pts to be able to gain), if you are playing your character start with 60 str.

akeba

Post by akeba »

I'm busy polishing off an archer-mage as well.. and I gotta say archery is much much slower to raise than a melee skill.. and quite expensive unless you make your own arrows/bolts (which is pretty obnoxious.. and its why I still have 7000 feathers in the bank). Also, you can buy ammo from vendors in town.. vendors are restocked every 30 mins, and if you cleaned them out they restock with 2x as many arrows/bolts as they had previously. It makes it pretty easy to stumble into a fletchers shop and pick up 640 arrows/bolts on a semi-regular basis.

Once you finish it out though, the archer-mage combo is deadly :D.. that hvy x-bow hits harrdddd.

Return to “New Player Help”