Changes on Test...

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Changes on Test...

Post by Fwerp »

I have experimented a bit with the changes on test, and I beg for further testing and tweaking to be done before this implemented on live UOSA.

Many of the trademark T2A combos are utterly impotent in the system on test. As I am sure has been noted before, Explosion/Ebolt/Halberd is a laughably bad combo, instead of a real threat of killing someone with good rolls. Also, Explosion/pause/arm halberd does not synch properly, which seems to me a second prima facie indication that the system is not entirely accurate.

I realize how little value is placed in anecdotal evidence, and rightly so. But, I hope that the utter uselessness of something as ubiquitous as the EXP/EB/HALLY combo is sufficient to give pause about the system as is.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Changes on Test...

Post by Roser »

I feel like a glass of milk for some reason.....

Try more out on test, don't limit yourself to just the hally mage. Give it a chance you might find you like it.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

EX/EB/Hally is a freakin staple :(
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Still works fine for me ^

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

I am all about getting it right, but this does not seem at all right.

In short, I just think the fact that EXP/EB/HALLY does not work on a T2A system should serve as some sort of a bright-line test, and should warrant some very serious consideration.

It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George won't credit the Bubble Boy's Trivial Pursuit answer.
Obviously, the correct answer was the Moors, not the Moops, but Moops is what it said on the back of the card...

Everyone who played T2A in era knows how EXP/EB/Hally worked, and telling us that this is how it was based on patchnotes and demo code seems analogous to claiming it was the Moops who invaded Spain in the 700's because it is written on an answer card.

Maybe there is information out there complaining about the combo being overpowered, or insta-death from it (which certainly happened)?

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Fwerp wrote:Maybe there is information out there complaining about the combo being overpowered, or insta-death from it (which certainly happened)?
There you go Fwerp - I've always appreciated your high level of articulation, interesting metaphors and analogies - so I went to the trouble of finding lots of this stuff a few weeks back.

Pay attention to a few things:

-the introduction of equip delay on test vs. anecdotal evidence in this thread about a bugged equip delay.

-the fact that the swing timer probably did keep on ticking over while you were aggressed [but this may have been mitigated by the above equip delay bug]

-the reality that attacklast [which causes your opponent to re-attack, therefore re-starting the swing timer] was non-existant or non-prevailant during the era.

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20494

Knock yourself out 8)

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Fwerp just duel me on test, you will see there is nothing wrong with the exp eb hally combo, and its really easy to do...

Its an entirely different system, and it's been dug out of official OSI scripts... I dunno bout anyone else, but when I logged on to test it out I was reminded heavily of OSI during the T2A period. I mean, I can even do a double hally hit basically how I remembered it.

Its gonna be a learning curve for everyone, so I suggest u leet pvp'ers (<--- me... yea thats right son) get your practice in on test.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Doing an exp, eb, hally combo was beyond easy to do when testing was done by me several days ago... I know that the function which handles when a swing is ready(not the timer itself) has been changed to be restricted during movement since that testing, but that shouldn't have affected the ability to do this combo at all really...

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

I just logged in. I did ex eb hally on that npc, and it did not swing everytime.

The hally did not swing instantly either, as it should, everytime. Pretty obvious red flag, I dont understand why anyone would even argue with Fwerp when a staple which we all remember in t2a is not working properly on test.

Everyone remembers this. Cast exp target, cast eb target, lunge with hally towards target... Hally should swing as soon as you get next to target. Its called INSTA HALLY?
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Faust

Post by Faust »

Are you allowing your swing to advance by not moving?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

My understanding is that you need to stand still for more than the hally delay. So if a level 6 spell is less than that, I can see:

Cast Exp
Target
Move closer to person
Cast Ebolt
Target
Arm Halberd
go up next to someone

Each of the bold items would reset the swing timer to 0. Maybe I'm talking basics here, and you all know this, but my explanation would be that since the casting time of a level 6 spell is less than the swing timer of wrestling at 25 dex, you need to be still for some extra time before or after one of those spells, in order to complete a wrestling swing timer.

The most common time for someone to be still like this was when casting the explosion. I.E. cast explosion, wait .75 more seconds (assuming the explosion caused you to stand still for 1.75 seconds), that gives you your stationary bare-handed 2.5 seconds to complete a wrestling timer, and then proceed as fast as possible. Theoretically you could also cast explosion, target, cast ebolt, target (all while standing still) and that should be plenty of time as well... though of course the opportunities to do that are few and far between.

But yeah... my exp-ebolt-hally memories include prepping the explosion and standing still for an extra second or two.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

the problem that fwerp is referring to is the equip delay, not that he cannot actually get the halbard to swing. the swing does not sync with the damage from the explosion/ebolt because of the equip delay, which doesn't seem right at all.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

marmalade wrote:the problem that fwerp is referring to is the equip delay, not that he cannot actually get the halberd to swing. the swing does not sync with the damage from the explosion/ebolt because of the equip delay, which doesn't seem right at all.
The EB damage delay is exactly equal to the prep-time (when applicible) I don't see how it'd be possible not to have it hit at exactly the same time. If there was something going on it may have been related to equipping inside the swing delay.

Test has been undergoing a lot of revisions, which is why nothing much has been posted about it. It was updated again today after 4:30pm so it's hard to speak to issues that were occurring in a previous revision. I do appreciate everyone getting on to test, as it is believed it's close to final.

When we do have something that's believed to be realistic to publish I will post a new thread discussing it, so prior to that post feedback is appreciated, but there's noting worth getting too excited about.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

Derrick wrote: The EB damage delay is exactly equal to the prep-time (when applicible) I don't see how it'd be possible not to have it hit at exactly the same time. If there was something going on it may have been related to equipping inside the swing delay.
i understand that in theory it should be possible, with both the damage delay and the equip delay being exactly the same, but its not. even when equipping the weapons as fast as is possible with my ping, the swing occurs about half a second after the damage hits.

perhaps its to do with the higher ping on test server, but even if its theoretically possible, you would have to be VERY fast to get the damages to land at the same time. i don't see how this would have been possible on osi when people would have been pinging considerably higher than we are today.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

marmalade wrote: i understand that in theory it should be possible, with both the damage delay and the equip delay being exactly the same, but its not. even when equipping the weapons as fast as is possible with my ping, the swing occurs about half a second after the damage hits.
I just experianced this myself in testing. About half the time it hits 0.25 secs later when timed perfectly. Test center is right behind me, there's no latency here. I think I understand the issue and am going to tweak it.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."