Few possible era inaccuracies

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
cklabyrinth

Few possible era inaccuracies

Post by cklabyrinth »

Just gonna list them:

1. Once a magic weapon is identified, it'll show the bonuses for all characters. Don't remember this being the case.

2. House signs didn't highlight on mouseover.

3. You couldn't secure or lockdown anything on your porch, I don't think. I've seen people with bags or pouches secured there.

4. Runes marked in the middle of nowhere said simply "An unknown location" or some such.

5. Vendors have unlimited gold to buy things. I remember having runebooks to every smith and tailor shop because they only had so much gold per vendor.

6. Unable to resurrect in houses. Don't think this was the case.

I'll add more as I notice.

Derrick

Re: Few possible era inaccuracies

Post by Derrick »

cklabyrinth wrote:Just gonna list them:

1. Once a magic weapon is identified, it'll show the bonuses for all characters. Don't remember this being the case.

2. House signs didn't highlight on mouseover.

3. You couldn't secure or lockdown anything on your porch, I don't think. I've seen people with bags or pouches secured there.

4. Runes marked in the middle of nowhere said simply "An unknown location" or some such.

5. Vendors have unlimited gold to buy things. I remember having runebooks to every smith and tailor shop because they only had so much gold per vendor.

6. Unable to resurrect in houses. Don't think this was the case.

I'll add more as I notice.
Per character Identification was in era, we currently don't have this feature, but it's on the list to be added.

I'll see if I can fix the house signs, you've got a good eye, I never noticed this.

We just recently limited the lockdowns on step and removed the ability to secure as well, some houses are grandfathered. I belive your right on inability to lock down on steps at all.

Some remote areas did have labels, for example my house southwest of wrong used to mark as northern territories. I did painstakingly go through each area and set a rune label for it, since I don't know which areas did and didn't have labels for runes this will be difficult to make accurate without more info.

Vendor accuracy is also something we're working on. They do currently have budgets for item types but still with an unlimited amount of gold. The era vendor system was very complex and we will attempt to approach it as best we can.

Thanks much for this post, and for anything else you report as well!

Prurk

Post by Prurk »

You couldn't res in homes, at least not towards the end of T2A. Otherwise my house would have been looted multiple times and I would have been doing the same.

cklabyrinth

Post by cklabyrinth »

Prurk wrote:You couldn't res in homes, at least not towards the end of T2A. Otherwise my house would have been looted multiple times and I would have been doing the same.
You know, now that you mention it I remember there being a bug that let a ghost be rezzed through someone's house door. I just thought it was extremely odd that I had to go outside to rez my character here. Not completely sure how it was :)

And cheers, Derrick. I'm sort of borderline OCD so I notice way too much stuff ;)

Murugan

Post by Murugan »

I thought that OSI tried to fix this by not allowing a character to move once the "would u like to rezz" screen came up. I too remember being killed while looting house, and simply waiting a few hours as a ghost, then bringing my other char tot he house, running to the door and rezzing the ghost . . . loot on!

There was also other bugs in its time, such as just running to a healer in the area, getting the rezz screen, running into a house and hitting ok.

~Murugan
Pookey - Your Local Grim Reaper,
Hemperor wrote:it pains me to say that murugan is right

cklabyrinth

Post by cklabyrinth »

Couple of other things I noticed today:

1. Deceit's lich lord pit. I can handle the liches being able to cast on me if I'm away from the ledge. I know it's been mentioned elsewhere and everything, but I should at least be able to cast on the liches as well. As it stands it says they're out of sight, even though they're casting on me from there somehow.

2. I'm not sure mobs ever healed themselves or casted mass dispel.

Artemis

Post by Artemis »

-Mobs never healed themselves, on rare occasion some high level mobs would cast up to 7th level spells, including Area effect spells, Chain lightning, Meteor Swarm, Mass Dispel, Mass Curse(6th) but it was very rare.

-Vendors spawned with set amounts of gold, I wanna say 60k? Then as players bought and sold to the NPC vendors that amount would go up and down. An those vendors would respawn on their own ever so often, resetting the amount of gold and items they had. Each vendor would only buy up to like 20-30 of a paticular item until they respawned or another player bought that exact item, but that never applied to magic weapons, gems/jewelery and magic armor. Only regular items, regular weapons & armor and player crafted items were subject to the 20-30 limit that vendors would buy.
There used to be a cheese wheel bug where you would buy an resell cheese wheels over and over to the same vendor, slowly selling them for more than you payed and therefore slowly taking all the money off of a vendor. Having vendors buy anything infinitely with infinite gold is one of the major contributors to player run shards be way too freaking easy. It should take a week to amass 80k-100k. You could never get rich(100k) selling player crafted items in towns, it wasnt possible. Thats why for the most part crafting was worthless until GM made items arrived. OSI shards I never crafted for any cash, player run shards thats all I ever do for cash.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

1. This is defenately an era accurate feature. It was some time in early UOR right before the switch from the ASCII to the unicode text system that universal identification came around.

2. There are two types of housing when it comes to highlighting house signs. Old houses that were placed under the origonal housing system actually had highlightable house signs. Any houses placed afterwards had non-highlightable house signs. Houses were also identifiable by the indicator about whether they were of "classic" or "modern" design.

3. As long as the object that you were intending to lock down was adjacent to the door of your house, you could not lock down or secure anything on those tiles (that's what made towers so convenient, they had a 2 steps). This changed in UOR to stop anyone from locking down an object directly in front of the doors of a house.

4. This is absoultely correct, this feature actually stayed on OSI throughout UOR.

5. Also true, however the gold supply was fairly substantial, and would return to its maximum value each time that a vendor restocked.

6. There is no information that suggests that you could not ressurect inside of a house at any time during T2A. There were several changes to what you could do while you were dead with the resurrect gump up, as well as a range reduction on the resurrection spell, however there are no patch notes that document the addition or removal of resurrection in houses from 1997 to 2003.

7. Mobs did not cast area of affect spells, that's a misnomer based on the vauge description that was given in the Stratics hunters guide.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Maleficia

Post by Maleficia »

Kaivan wrote:1. This is defenately an era accurate feature. It was some time in early UOR right before the switch from the ASCII to the unicode text system that universal identification came around.
This is not Era Accurate. The first magic item I had was a mask. Someone with the ID skill told me what it was, but it read a magic mask to me until I was able to get my own ID wand. I had the mask the entire time I played UO. Even after I was PK'd noone wanted the ugly thing. I ended up blessing it eventually to make sure. There was not a global identification.
Kaivan wrote:3. As long as the object that you were intending to lock down was adjacent to the door of your house, you could not lock down or secure anything on those tiles (that's what made towers so convenient, they had a 2 steps). This changed in UOR to stop anyone from locking down an object directly in front of the doors of a house.
If I remember right, it also had to do with items that would block or restrict movement in doorways or on stairs. I also remember not being able to lock anything down near the door on the inside of the house (2 tiles I think). It has been a while though, I could be fuzzy.
Kaivan wrote:5. Also true, however the gold supply was fairly substantial, and would return to its maximum value each time that a vendor restocked.
Not entirely. I am not sure if it was dependent on the vendor type, but I remember having to "prime" map vendors to get them to buy back all of my world maps. I would walk away from a map making session with a few K, and gave the vendor a lot while I was training so the vendor would keep buying.
Kaivan wrote:6. There is no information that suggests that you could not ressurect inside of a house at any time during T2A. There were several changes to what you could do while you were dead with the resurrect gump up, as well as a range reduction on the resurrection spell, however there are no patch notes that document the addition or removal of resurrection in houses from 1997 to 2003.
When I first started an exploit was to get res'd in a house by a healer (was common to find a healer in houses) and loot the heck out of it. Whn I started, there were no secure containers and lockdown chests could be picked and looted. Home security was non existent except for crafty methods and strategic lockdowns. OSI stopped this by implementing the no res in houses until secure containers were implemented, and they brought back the ability to res in a house.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Global identification defenately existed. There were many times that I had seen several older items during UOR, such as blessed weapons, that I had never seen before. I never once had to identify the items, yet I always knew the statistics of the weapon. The case was the same with stealing. During T2A, I and most other thieves I knew had a macro for using Item Identification to scope out items that were being worn by other players. During UOR, that macro became nearly useless (basically a set last target macro) with the addition of universal identification, because it was nearly certain that the owner had already identified it.

As for the healers, I recall that the fix was to stop healers from ressurecting anyone who was standing on a house, not to stop ressurections from happening inside of a house.

Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Maleficia wrote:
Kaivan wrote:1. This is defenately an era accurate feature. It was some time in early UOR right before the switch from the ASCII to the unicode text system that universal identification came around.
This is not Era Accurate. The first magic item I had was a mask. Someone with the ID skill told me what it was, but it read a magic mask to me until I was able to get my own ID wand. I had the mask the entire time I played UO. Even after I was PK'd noone wanted the ugly thing. I ended up blessing it eventually to make sure. There was not a global identification.
Actually, when they did a rework on the magic weapons system, newer spawning items would retain ID, OLDER items that dropped before that patch wouldnt. This was one way to tell if a weapon someone was trying to sell you was a "Pre-Patch" magic weapon.
So both are actually true, there were some items, if they were old enough, that wouldnt retain ID because they spawned before that particular patch. Which eventually those older items that wouldnt retain ID slowly decayed out of all the shards.
But there was a global ID system, but only worked on newer spawning items from that patch forward.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Artemis wrote:Actually, when they did a rework on the magic weapons system, newer spawning items would retain ID, OLDER items that dropped before that patch wouldnt. This was one way to tell if a weapon someone was trying to sell you was a "Pre-Patch" magic weapon.
So both are actually true, there were some items, if they were old enough, that wouldnt retain ID because they spawned before that particular patch. Which eventually those older items that wouldnt retain ID slowly decayed out of all the shards.
But there was a global ID system, but only worked on newer spawning items from that patch forward.
I concur on this. There's was an additional quirk on the identified items in that each kept a list of who had identified it, and once that list became full it would forget the older people. This was especially a problem with magic items on vendors as everyone who came to browse would ID the item, and often the vendor owner would have to constantly re-ID the same item.

Maleficia

Post by Maleficia »

Kaivan wrote:As for the healers, I recall that the fix was to stop healers from ressurecting anyone who was standing on a house, not to stop ressurections from happening inside of a house.
Has been a while, and I think you may be correct on this.

Dashiva

Post by Dashiva »

Kaivan wrote:7. Mobs did not cast area of affect spells, that's a misnomer based on the vauge description that was given in the Stratics hunters guide.
I'm assuming you don't consider mass curse an area of effect spell, since they most definatly did cast this.
But certainly not earthquake, CL, MS, etc.

I have heard some pretty wild claims though when I tamed '97-'01 (White wyrms casting gates, etc).
Korlan (Dexxer) | Dashiva (Tamer)
Dashiva from Napa Valley

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

White Wyrms are the single exception to that rule, and they only employ the Mass Curse spell. While it was technically an inaccurate statement, the general rule holds true that no other monster in game uses any area of affect spell of any kind.