Parrying

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Parrying

Post by Mens Rea »

While looking through the wiki I read the page on Parrying.

Is the Chance of Block = 50% of parry accurate?

Am I mistaken, or did different shields have a different chance to parry.

IE heaters would give more AR and block more damage less often, and bucklers would give less AR and block less dmg more often.

It may not be era accurate, but I have a small feeling.

brandonsantacruz

Re: Parrying

Post by brandonsantacruz »

I remember smaller shields blocking more often, too. It may have been that when you faced multiple opponents and were being hit quickly, only the smaller shields could keep up. Something like that..

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

That was a UOR addition, believe it or not. That was part of the changes that were done to the game to try and make certain items more appealing than they had previously been. Here is the section of the patch note from the Renaissance update which highlights the change:

Renaissance Publish Apr 28 2000 10:28AM CST
Parrying
The chance to successfully parry a physical (melee or archery) attack and the amount of damage absorbed upon a successful parry will now depend on the type of shield the character is using and his/her parry skill. The AR rating of a shield will determine it’s effectiveness. Shields with low AR (such as a buckler) will increase your chance to successfully parry a melee attack but will only absorb a small amount of damage. Using a shield with high AR (such as heaters and chaos/order shields) will allow you to absorb more damage but will not successfully parry a melee attack as often. Your parrying skill will increase both your chance to parry and the damage absorbed.

As an example, a fighter with 100.0 parry using a buckler will successfully parry a physical attack approximately 86% of the time. However, the shield will only absorb about 10 points of damage her successful parry. By contrast, a chaos shield used by the same warrior will allow him/her to successfully parry a physical attack about 36% of time, absorbing approximately 48 points of damage. All other shields scale in between those too shields.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

True true, I wasn't convinced myself! ^_^

Maleficia

Post by Maleficia »

If I remember right, Parry success was half your skill (as it is), but in T2a V/s UO:R, shield weight, AR, and durability was the big difference? Is that correct?