Invisible items on boats discussion renewed

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Invisible items on boats discussion renewed

Post by fooka03 »

Unfortunately I wasn't around the first time these talks went on (Oct 2009 http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 75&start=0) so I would like to revisit this issue.

There is no point in UO history that I can remember items on boat decks being invisible if I was also on a boat. Even after this patch piracy was still big and the only safe point on a boat was that tile directly behind the mast on a large as it always was.

There are two possibilities about how this was handled on OSI. The first way that the rendering for items on boats could be handled was based on z-level, that is if you were on the same z-level as the boat deck and the same screen the items would render. This was in addition to the rendering done when the boat was moving if the z-level was not the same.

The other possibility, probably easier to implement, is that you were considered "on" the boat for the visibility check when you were within some number of tiles of that boat (similar to standing on the steps of a house).

To be honest it seemed like the latter was the case because I remember the channels near WBB to always have boats clogging it with items on them until after CUB phase 3 which introduced item decay on boats (Atlantic shard).

I have an image here from May '99 that shows an item on the deck of a boat. Image The leftmost boat has a backpack while the capture was taken from the right boat.
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

marmalade

Re: Invisible items on boats discussion renewed

Post by marmalade »

when boats move you see the items on them.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

marmalade wrote:when boats move you see the items on them.
that boat is not moving....
Cash, The Drunken Smith

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

it could have moved previous to the screenshot being taken. what i meant to say is if a boat moves, all the items on the deck become visable to people on the screen, even if the boat was to stop moving afterwards.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

marmalade wrote:it could have moved previous to the screenshot being taken. what i meant to say is if a boat moves, all the items on the deck become visable to people on the screen, even if the boat was to stop moving afterwards.
The rightmost boat arrived after the two leftmost ones were already there.
Cash, The Drunken Smith

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

in that case the bag was dropped on the deck after the boat arrived and became visible.

man you've got no leg to stand on, the patch note for boat visibility is era accurate.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

Dagon wrote:in that case the bag was dropped on the deck after the boat arrived and became visible.

man you've got no leg to stand on, the patch note for boat visibility is era accurate.
Always with the negative vibes man. The bag was there when they sailed up. Not sure how much clearer I can get than that.

Anyway, if you were to ever read full posts you would see that I'm not disputing that it's era accurate, just that the implementation is a little off. I'm basing that off of personal recollection, that image (which there's not a lot of images from the period between march 1999 and jan 2000 around) and conversations with others about this issue.
Cash, The Drunken Smith

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Are you talking before or after they implemented decay on boat decks? I can remember living on a boat before I got my house and not being able to see stacks of chests on deck until I actually got on the boat, much like here.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

It was a relatively short period between the patch in question and the boat item decays but I am talking about this period.

Did you try going next to your boat on another boat corbin? It might be the z-level thing then that you also have to be on a boat to see and not on land.
Cash, The Drunken Smith

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I can share my recolection on this, as I did quite a bit of piracy myself back on chessie in '99, and quite a bit of boat mining too, and mining boat piracy.

The mountains north of Minoc (the north boat mines) were always lined with boats in era, and when you sailed up to them they were always empty. If you happened to come across one that had someone mining on it, you would know what color veins they were mining by the piles of ore on the deck that became visible as they mined. (and these were typically stacked piles, you would see gaps in the stack where the invisible ore was)

I know of no way to have made items on the deck visible without someone on the boat agitating the items, or the boat moving.

There is a max height of boats on UOSA, as it would not be possible for boats to pass under bridges were this not the case. Items stacked too high will be visible and subject to decay.

These are just my recolections, I'm listening on this, but I do this we have it right.

Good to see you back Fooka!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

Your recollections are probably a bit better than mine for this. I'd only run into the occasional vessel while fishing. Maybe I was always lucky (or unlucky) and would come by someone reorganizing their stuff so I would see the items. Just seemed like that happened way too often to be a coincidence.

I'll just have to keep a closer eye on the boats to see people drop their items haha. That and switch my attention to the other thread about this.

Good to be back finally.
Cash, The Drunken Smith