Having trouble with raising resist magic, help please

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Geese899

Having trouble with raising resist magic, help please

Post by Geese899 »

I want to start raising and my macroing my resist magic, according to several of the popular guides. However, I can't find any npcs that will teach me to 30. they only teach me to 29.5 real. I have been to several towns. I dont know how to raise it. I tried raising it casting fireball and I went for over 200 black pearls with no gain. What should I do to get to 30.0 real so I can start doing fireball?

Mr BoJangles

Re: Having trouble with raising resist magic, help please

Post by Mr BoJangles »

I could be entirely wrong, but my first guess would be to try the mage guild master to train resist. Just about any magery shop has one...

I've never done it personally, but you could also try casting firewall and running up and down the wall. Should get you up in the 40s if i remember. You're obviously going to need some way to heal yourself.

Make a healing alt (you're going to need one anyways eventually):
Make an character with 50 healing. Alt-leftclick an NPC in town to put yourself on auto follow. Record a macro in razor using anatomy on the NPC and loop it over night. Violah, you have a healing bot.

Make a macro to heal the character trying to gain resist on your new bot. Run up and down the wall stopping every so often to move next to your healer as needed.

After you get near 50 your best bet is to have a toon train magery on you. GMing magery on a character will get your resist in the 90s if all goes well...

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Firewall will get you to 55.0 resist. An important note is that you can't gain in town, that might be the reason why firewall didn't work for you. After the 55, you (or an alt) can cast ebolt on you and then flamestrike.

lotus39

Post by lotus39 »

Spitfire wrote:Firewall will get you to 55.0 resist. An important note is that you can't gain in town, that might be the reason why firewall didn't work for you. After the 55, you (or an alt) can cast ebolt on you and then flamestrike.
Side note its slower than normal

I started with 50 magery 50 resist

Gmed magery with 87.1 resist

JimmyTheDriver

Post by JimmyTheDriver »

You just said fireball.... not firewall. Unless that was a typo, I would adjust your approach.

Forget about having a mage train you.

Get some fireWALL regs, like 60 of each, and head to a place outside of town with someone to heal you. Keep casting firewall and run around in it until whenever it stops, like 55.

From there you are set to use the guides you find, that recommend Lightning, Ebolt, then Flamestike.

Make sure your evaluating int skill is 100 before you start with Lightning, as gains are based on damage, which is increased with eval int.

I just did a character using the basics with 50 magery, 50 resist, and 100 eval int. I was at 93.7 resist when I GMed magery.

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=845
Summary from thread I used...
From skill level 50-62.9: Cast Lightning
63.0-82.9: Cast Energy Bolt
82.9-100: Cast Flame Strike

Good luck!
Jimmy

Azaazel

Post by Azaazel »

I hit 91.7 resist at GM Magery with 0 eval. I don't think eval has anything to do with resist gains. It is all Random. I had 92.3 resist with 0 eval on my Bard, so it definitely makes no difference. And I don't belive it ever has in any era.

JimmyTheDriver

Post by JimmyTheDriver »

Interesting. I thought adding the damage thing was to stop the major "resist sessions" that were going on.

Who knows.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Azaazel wrote:I hit 91.7 resist at GM Magery with 0 eval. I don't think eval has anything to do with resist gains. It is all Random. I had 92.3 resist with 0 eval on my Bard, so it definitely makes no difference. And I don't belive it ever has in any era.
Someone else mentioned this.

My guess is that damage *does* impact gains, but the threshold is far lower than we're imagining. I.E. you can no longer gain off of "Meteor Swarm sessions" when you'd get 12 people on a tile and someone would cast MS and do 1 damage per person, but you'd still get the level 7 spell resist check and chance for a gain. It may well be the case that 5 or 10 damage is more than enough to trigger the chance to gain at a reasonable level, and the difference between 10 and 25 point flamestrikes is meaningless in this calculation, but the difference between 1 and 10 point damages is meaningful.

JimmyTheDriver

Post by JimmyTheDriver »

Mikel123, good point.

I still believe damage does have an effect, even if slight.

I recently macroed magery/resist on a character with 100 eval and ended with 94 resist on the final cast to reach 100 magery.

Azaazel did the same and only reached 91.7.

Maybe he switched from one spell to the next at different times so he didn't get max gain.... or maybe it was due to my increased damage, who knows.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

My experience so far was actually that overall, I gained better with low eval than the character with GM eval. Low eval reached 92 resist, GM eval didn't even reach 90 IIRC (89.6 or something). Given I did both characters, I'm guessing I would've used the same pattern both times but I honestly can't remember. This is one of the things I plan on testing extensively - on test center - when I get more time to play.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

nightshark wrote:My experience so far was actually that overall, I gained better with low eval than the character with GM eval. Low eval reached 92 resist, GM eval didn't even reach 90 IIRC (89.6 or something).
As far as I know, there's absolutely no reason at all that low eval should work better than high eval, right? Unless Derrick messed up an equation somewhere?

We know there is supposed to be an advantage to more damage, and thus more eval. A plausible occurrence could also be that this was either (a) forgotten to be patched in, or (b) irrelevant at typical flamestrike damage amounts. I think the chance that low eval truly does work better than high eval is slim to none, and anything that indicates it does is likely due to random variance and fluctuation. Just my guess though... good luck on TC, it takes a LONG time to train resist as I'm finding, mostly just waiting for mana again. And with the very low gain rate (in the low 90's, I'm seeing one gain every 50-100 casts), you're going to need a really big sample size to show any statistical significance.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Mikel123 wrote:
nightshark wrote:My experience so far was actually that overall, I gained better with low eval than the character with GM eval. Low eval reached 92 resist, GM eval didn't even reach 90 IIRC (89.6 or something).
As far as I know, there's absolutely no reason at all that low eval should work better than high eval, right? Unless Derrick messed up an equation somewhere?

We know there is supposed to be an advantage to more damage, and thus more eval. A plausible occurrence could also be that this was either (a) forgotten to be patched in, or (b) irrelevant at typical flamestrike damage amounts. I think the chance that low eval truly does work better than high eval is slim to none, and anything that indicates it does is likely due to random variance and fluctuation. Just my guess though... good luck on TC, it takes a LONG time to train resist as I'm finding, mostly just waiting for mana again. And with the very low gain rate (in the low 90's, I'm seeing one gain every 50-100 casts), you're going to need a really big sample size to show any statistical significance.
I plan on doing overnight resist macros on test to figure out if low eval can actually have any benefit.

My hypothesis is that when you have low resist and you're getting hit with huge amounts of damage, the game somehow interprets that as failing (though, I realise the actual % chance of resisting is entirely based on magery vs resist). The only test I've done so far was with 1000 lightning regs from 55-63.5 resist or so, and both characters reached exactly the same resist level. 0 eval vs GM eval.
Last edited by nightshark on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Cool. I think you mean magery vs resist skill, but yeah. My guess is that eval means nothing, but you just can't MS yourself to GM 1 damage point at a time. Though to be honest, I have no idea if that's even the case or not.

Wish I could help you test, but my connection is awful these days... I drop about once an hour, so overnight macroing just doesn't work for me anymore.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Yeah magery vs resist :)

I heard MS caps depending on how many people you have. Another hypothesis is that eval doesn't actually have any effect on resist gains, derrick just put a bandaid patch in to stop MS sessions working. I don't have a connection to macro with at all at the moment, but will soon.

JimmyTheDriver

Post by JimmyTheDriver »

Yeah - I think it is safe to assume that any discrepancies folks have here are based on the fact that they switched from one spell to the next at a different time, or their magery macro casted for a longer period of time after they GMed the skill.

Seems like they patched the MS thing, but didn't change the way it works if you are just using light, eb, and fs.

Weird.......