Combining Archery with Melee, Swing Timer, Equip Delay

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Eaglestaff

Combining Archery with Melee, Swing Timer, Equip Delay

Post by Eaglestaff »

I have created a warrior/archer detailed for town PvP and have been testing some tactics that involve combining three different weapon classes and archery in particular.

The first thing I wanted to learn from my tests was the effectiveness of firing a shot off at range and then switching to a faster hitting melee weapon while closing in on the enemy. I was able to do this and begin swinging my sword quickly after firing and closing them so long as the weapons timer was fast enough to recharge as I closed. At the full range of the bow, on horseback, the katana was able to refresh in time to insta-swing as soon as I got within melee range. At heavy crossbow range, there was a minute delay. Perhaps I will try the kryss.

The second thing I wanted to test was how quickly I could equip the bow after having swung with my sword and fire a shot should the target flee or should I want to go for the big bolt hit to finish them. It is my understanding that the archery swing timer runs on a separate string than the melee timer so I waited a full 8 or so seconds for the bow's timer to refresh. I then took a quick step back from my target, waited a moment for my sword's swing timer to refresh, and disarmed my sword. I was under the assumption that refreshing the swing timer of the sword would prevent the long equip delay of the bow. After equipping the bow and watching as it took the full 7-8 second bow timer to fire I must question that assumption as it did not insta-swing as I had expected.

As of now I am speculating two possibilities from the results of my testing and the research I have done on these forums:

1) Archery has a different mechanic related to the equip delay that I am unaware of. I have found some mentions of this in related threads but have not been able to find the answers that I'm looking for.

2) Less likely, archery has no special equip delay mechanic and I have stumbled upon a possible bug or inaccuracy, which, tho unlikely, somewhat excuses me for posting what is primarily a help inquiry in the much more frequented suggestions and era accuracy forum. :oops: :P

Basically, I want to know how quickly I can fire with a bow after fighting melee, if this tactic is possible, and if this is accurate to the target era.

-Thank You

Update:
I just tried also refreshing the wrestling timer after dis-equiping the sword. My thinking was that perhaps the code was interpreting my immediately arming the bow as an interruption of the wrestling timer(even tho the katana timer was fresh and I didn't wrestle). This did not negate the equip penalty of the bow either.

And this is Tritoch, my pure warrior

Tactics
Swordsmanship
Mace Fighting
Archery
Parrying
Healing
Anatomy