Gating out of Town

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
Derrick

Gating out of Town

Post by Derrick »

REPORTED ISSUE: Gating out of town.

ISSUE DETAILS: When entering a gate that goes out of town, no confirmation menu is raised

ENVIRONMENT DETAILS: N/A

STEPS TO RECREATE: Open a gate from town, to an unguarded location and enter the gate.

EXPECTED RESULTS:
Gate-Conf.jpg
Gate-Conf.jpg (81.45 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
DATE REPORTED: 7/11/2010

DATE STATUS CHANGED: 7/11/2010
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Derrick

Re: Gating out of Town

Post by Derrick »

Thanks, will fix.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

ShastaMcNasty
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by ShastaMcNasty »

Derrick wrote:Thanks, will fix.

its ok to pat yourself on the back every now and then :D

[23:25] <chainsoar> some rat f#&* on foot just killed me with a single ebolt

[18:19] <MatrondeWinter> I once saw ShastaMcNasty kill chad- with only a pitchfork, 5 bandaids, and the unlock spell.

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

Wasn't this locked at one point?
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

hm.. it's in the demo, but was it over on OSI? I don't recall... it wouldn't even make sense for there to be a prompt with the temporarily added near the end of the era gate cycling timer delay added..

i can't find the patch notes for when it was added here (within the last few months) but
Temporary Change to Gates Sep 9 1999 9:13AM CST
* After going through a gate cast by a player, there will be a random delay of 3 to 10 seconds before you can go though that gate again, or through any other gate.
Note that this change is temporary. We will update you again once it is changed back.
aside from the issue of whether or not a temporary patch should have been implemented here in the first place, why would there of been a delay added if there was a prompt in the first place?

also the ONLY results from googling the text of this prompt are from RunUO source code files.... there's NO mention of it relating to anything UO in-era related.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Jun 99 wrote:I was thinking having the confirmation work the opposite way it works for
blues now: example
When you are in town -- a safe area -- and you step into a gate that leads
outside of town limits -- a danger area -- it asks you to confirm the
choice.
When you are ouside town limits and enter a gate it does not give any
confirmation (To an in-town zone or dungeon or whatever)
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.games ... 5b3a023b21

Also, "Toggle for GATE Query wanted, June 99"

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

it was also impossible to gate really heavy stuff out of town by leaving it on your cursor on osi, because you couldnt get a 3rd party app to select the gumps for you. viva la razor

ps: i love how derrick has a hally in his pack in that pic. im just picturing him walking around laying the smack down on some noobs
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

nightshark wrote:ps: i love how derrick has a hally in his pack in that pic. im just picturing him walking around laying the smack down on some noobs
First thing I noticed. :)
Second thing: Any reason the hally and dagger (I think) are backwards?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Rammar wrote:
nightshark wrote:ps: i love how derrick has a hally in his pack in that pic. im just picturing him walking around laying the smack down on some noobs
First thing I noticed. :)
Second thing: Any reason the hally and dagger (I think) are backwards?
Heheh, funny I didn't even notice. At this point one facing seems as natural as the other.
I would use era screenshots to verify the proper facing of the hally, the hally I have in demo was purchased from the shopkeep in Ocllo. The "data" in the demo predates the mechanics by a significant amount of time.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I definately remember this, I don't know the timeframe, but I suspect that it being in the demo is proof enough.

Out of town to in-town gates should raise no gump.

Out of town to out of town gates should raise no gump

In town to out of town should raise a gump.

So really nothing changes aside from the fact that you cant "accidentally" step on a gate in town. Realistically, people that enter gates and die on some island "chose" to go in, and you should still be able to coax murderers into gates from outside town to inside without a prompt.

Is that correct?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I definately remember this, I don't know the timeframe, but I suspect that it being in the demo is proof enough.

Out of town to in-town gates should raise no gump.

Out of town to out of town gates should raise no gump

In town to out of town should raise a gump.

So really nothing changes aside from the fact that you cant "accidentally" step on a gate in town. Realistically, people that enter gates and die on some island "chose" to go in, and you should still be able to coax murderers into gates from outside town to inside without a prompt.

Is that correct?
Yeah, that's correct.
I remember this mechanic myself well, and I only played in era. However I also remember having some way of turning it off.
I haven't had the opportunity to research it much further myself.

In era, you could get rid of a menu by pressing escape, therefore if you walked into a gate while "holding" something, while you could not use the menu, you could press <esc > to cancel it. In the current client you cannot do this, so the menu does not come up if you are holding something. The alternative to this would be that a player would have to <ALT>F4 his client if he entered a gate with something in his hand.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Derrick wrote:... I also remember having some way of turning it off.
Optional querying? I don't remember this. Theres several newsgroup postings of people requesting this feature (as well as an optional query for unguarded to guarded gates). I can't find any mentioning a way around it.
Derrick wrote:In era, you could get rid of a menu by pressing escape, therefore if you walked into a gate while "holding" something, while you could not use the menu, you could press <esc > to cancel it. In the current client you cannot do this, so the menu does not come up if you are holding something. The alternative to this would be that a player would have to <ALT>F4 his client if he entered a gate with something in his hand.
Shouldn't escaping out of a menu Cancel it, not "Yes" and OK it?

A while back I thought there was a way to gate hop from guarded to unguarded which would bypass the query, but I'm not so sure now. I seem to recall having to gate from guarded to the edge of guardzone on occasion, then hop it the rest of the way home (I lived less than half a screen away from gzone).

I don't remmember what I did with my trammy house though (not by gzone). This was used in Trammel too? Guess I could have just gated from outside Yew bank or something.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Rammar wrote:
Derrick wrote:Shouldn't escaping out of a menu Cancel it, not "Yes" and OK it?

I don't remmember what I did with my trammy house though (not by gzone). This was used in Trammel too? Guess I could have just gated from outside Yew bank or something.
Yes escaping canceled it, it did not acknowledge it, but if you weren't able to do this you would not be able to do anything at all, which is the case with the more modern client.

I thought I remembered gating stuff from Ocllo bank to my house. And actually my recollection is that "query criminal action" controlled this, however my memories in that regard just don't make any sense to me and are dubious at best. The fact that this menu existed in era at least by default certain though.

I don't know anything about Trammel, they may have taken it out with UO:R.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Derrick wrote:I don't know anything about Trammel, they may have taken it out with UO:R.
They kept it in, they just changed the menu type (to one that looked much worse).

I think the "esc" function you are talking about was "CloseAllGumps", you should still be able to set a macro for it in the client. I honestly don't remember it cancelling the moongate gump, but there's the possibility I was just really ignorant and didn't think of using esc (I always used to restart my client if I somehow got 'stuck' like that).
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Return to “In Game Bug Reports”