Box Bounces

catalyst
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Box Bounces

Post by catalyst »

Has anyone had any issues with thier computer restarting? It happens about once every few days. I'll set up a macro before bed and when I wake up, my computer has restarted. I can't find anything within Window's log. (big surprise) I'm running XP sp3, with more than enough hardware. Not much else running in the background.
Could be anything. Thought I'd fish around on here to see if someone had experienced the same thing. Didn't see much when I searched the forums.

Thanks!

Dagon

Re: Box Bounces

Post by Dagon »

turn off automatic restart and youll at least get to see what the BSOD is

Rhaps

Post by Rhaps »

Dagon wrote:turn off automatic restart and youll at least get to see what the BSOD is

I was wondering about what that meant as I've had a few random restarts before on XP. So yeah after reading this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320299 I think he's right. Best solution might be looking into anything that's making XP freeze. Prime suspect for me has always been my ageing HDD.

catalyst
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by catalyst »

Good advice. I never have auto restart checked though. Force of habit. It's good to know that no on e else is having the same issue. That mean's it's isolated to my box. Good excuse to upgrade. :)

Thanks all!

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I occasionally get the same issue, computer restarts during the night and "recovered from a serious error". I wouldn't know what to do with the BSOD anyway. A while back I played a more graphically intensive game, and the computer would restart due to the high CPU usage eventually overheating the CPU. I could solve the problem by removing the heatsink and cleaning all the dust off. It's a pain in the ass to get back on (well, the fan I used was).

Give that a try anyhow, just open your comp and check if it's clogged with dust.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

catalyst
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by catalyst »

yeah, I just rebuilt my box with a new tower and a ton of fans to keep my 8800 cool. It's nice and clean. Plus I've learned to keep a temp monitor running constantly and with UO, it never redlines. I'll replace the HD and let you know.