War/Peace mode & Attack Last

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

War/Peace mode & Attack Last

Post by Roser »

Please tell me if you agree or disagree with this statement.

During the T2A era, it was not possible to make your opponent combat you while they were in peace mode.

I remember this being the case, which is why you didn't see people spamming attack last all the time. Attack last weapon interrupts would have been only effective when your opponent was in war mode.

Do you remember tabbing being effective when cycling weapons?

Here are some shots of this being exploited to guard whack near/in town. Its not right IMO.
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (89.52 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (57.6 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (51.15 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (96.13 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (149.45 KiB) Viewed 3772 times

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: War/Peace mode & Attack Last

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I dont know where those images you posted there came from. If they are from UOSA then something is certainly wrong.

During T2A you absolutely auto-defended yourself, and I specifically remember re-double-clicking on someone after tabbing (when sparring for instance), which would make them attack back.

The problem with that above image, is that the guy spamming attack last should NOT trigger the red guy outside of the guardzone to "attack last" as well.

However, if red guy was holding a bow, and and blue guy attack-lasted him, he would fire and get whacked.

There is something really messed up with the way auto-defend is working here.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

This is a bad example because the way guards work here is not exactly right.

Example: attack anyone blue outside town. They run into town, you tab and follow into town.

If you are tabbed, and they attack you, guards can be called. You dont have to engage at all. They dont even have to be next to you. You can be wacked anyway.

I am not positive that's just auto defend causing that issue, likely some thing to do with the nature of calling guards as well.
Last edited by son on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Come to the Minoc stables and ill show you.

Also notice that when the blue guy spams attack last he does not "flag" the red guy... Im pretty sure he should flag the red guy and turn grey to only him. Dunno bout that one tho.

son - It's meant to show you how this auto defend thing is working, and how it should not trigger when to tab into peace mode IMO... also speaks wonders on the spamming attack last in pvp scenarios.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

MatronDeWinter wrote:During T2A you absolutely auto-defended yourself, and I specifically remember re-double-clicking on someone after tabbing (when sparring for instance), which would make them attack back.

Yes, and what I'm suggesting is that this only happened when both players were in War mode. The other player would not auto defend in peace mode after tabbing from combat.

So initial combat/flag springs auto defend, and a tabbed out defender does not re auto defend.

Faust

Post by Faust »

A player always re-attacks their combatant upon being attacked. That is the way it works and you can get the exact functioning of it from the demo. The UO Guide that comes with the 800x600 client describes the same exact functioning that exists in the demo too.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

The ol' Iron Law of the Demo eh? :P

Feel's like an outdated religion to me...

But I mean c'mon, somthin's awry no?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Faust wrote:The UO Guide that comes with the 800x600 client describes the same exact functioning that exists in the demo too.
800x600 client was released in mid '99.

There are plenty of sources stating the mechanical use of auto defending... However, no one seems to produce a shred of evidence to counter the claim.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Auto defend is no problem here at all.

The issue is that guards can be called when you are prompted to auto-defend but do not swing. I should be able to attack rose(a blue) outside of town, and then come right into town without being guardwhacked, as long as I do not shoot a bow at, or otherwise attack rose.

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

LOL @ thread,, i agree w/ Rose
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

RoseRIP wrote:During the T2A era, it was not possible to make your opponent combat you while they were in peace mode.
It very much was possible. Do a search on http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... ma.online/ for "autodefend" and "hide" for examples.

The closest I could find for this being true is this tantalizing quote from pre-t2a (Oct 22 1997). It strongly implies you would not auto-defend in peace-mode, but its not explicit. If this is the case, I have no idea when it changed, but certainly by our cutoff date.
If you are in war mode you will auto defend against attack.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... 7cbfe3b49a

RoseRIP wrote:Do you remember tabbing being effective when cycling weapons?
I don't. But there could well be other reasons why.

RoseRIP wrote:Here are some shots of this being exploited to guard whack near/in town. Its not right IMO.
Thats is messed. Its my understanding that being forced to autodefend should not re-agro yourself.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Indeed. There are a few issues related to this. It's not believed to be correct, but it was not able to be fixed before this mornings patch. It is being worked on.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Auto defend is no problem here at all.

The issue is that guards can be called when you are prompted to auto-defend but do not swing. I should be able to attack rose(a blue) outside of town, and then come right into town without being guardwhacked, as long as I do not shoot a bow at, or otherwise attack rose.
If you attack, isn't your aggressor flag set?

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Joueur Moyen wrote:If you attack, isn't your aggressor flag set?
I was thinking about how this works... If you attack a blue you will flag gray, if you kill that person they can murder count you.
Now, if the innocent attacks back with a melee click or spell target, should they not then flag the aggressor, thus not being able to count?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Aggressor flags are 1 way flags. An aggressor flag is first given when a player attacks another player and that specific flag is refreshed under 2 conditions:
  • Either player actively attacks the other player (either through attack last or double clicking the player).
  • Either player does damage to the opposing player.
Also, at any time that an aggressor flag is created or refreshed, the server should check to see if the specific action that refreshed the aggressor timer is considered a criminal action. This is based on who did the action, and the direction of the aggressor flag (this is also the root of our current bug that allows a player to attack another player outside town and guard whack them).

So, to provide an example, if player A attacks player B and there is not a pre-existing aggressor flag between the two of them, an aggressor flag will exist where player A is an aggressor to player B. At any time after that, if any damage is done by either player or either player actively attacks the other player, the aggressor flag would be refreshed. In each instance of an aggressor flag being refreshed it will check to see if the action committed by the specific player is also a criminal action. If player A refreshes the aggressor timer, any action that he takes to refresh the timer would be considered a criminal action because he is the initial aggressor to player B. However, if player B refreshes the aggressor flag, no action that he takes would cause him to become a criminal. This is because player B is on the receiving end of the aggressor flag in the first place (for anyone who recalls, if you were the victim of an aggressor flag on OSI servers, the person who committed an aggressive act towards you would flag grey).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org