Resist Session, Part II

benny-

Resist Session, Part II

Post by benny- »

This Friday, 10:30 pm Est....Resist Session!

All members and allies are welcome to join us.

If you plan on joining us, please reply below, including what chars you'll be bringing (casters or targets) and the current resist skill of any targets so that we can see progress once the session is over. Be sure to bring a method and resources to heal.
- Elisud

Lazarus

Re: Resist Session, Part II

Post by Lazarus »

Do resist sessions still work? I thought with the new change that gains werent all that great.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Lazarus wrote:Do resist sessions still work? I thought with the new change that gains werent all that great.
We'll see.

I'll be attending with a caster GM magery, GM Eval; and a healer.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

benny-

Post by benny- »

Lazarus wrote:Do resist sessions still work? I thought with the new change that gains werent all that great.

It's certainly debatable just how effective they are. Our previous session was our first attempt at one in this guild. We planned it for weeks, had a number of group hunts to fund it, and then the day of the session, Derrick ninja-patched the nerf to resist gains. :lol:

Needless to say, with all of the work and planning put into it, we decided to hold it anyway just to see what would happen.

We had about 10-12 targets, meaning each took some damage with each cast, as opposed to a higher end session, where each participant would take minimal or no damage. And while we didn't get as much feedback as I had hoped for, we had reports of people going from the 55.0 to the 80's.

Considering there was a good deal of skill gain for so many players, I'd say it was a success.

With better data collected, it might prove to be more cost effective to macro on an individual basis (via flamestrike), however considering the number of characters gaining I think it'd be hard-pressed to beat the gains we still receive.

Fact is, no other group has attempted sessions since the patch went it, until more research is done, the idea that resist session simply don't work is mere speculation.

Also, for my end, I'll be supplying one caster; gm magery/gm eval.
- Elisud

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Yea I didnt do they not work as if you were macroing in town, I meant were they still a viable means to gain resist fast and easily. It would seem that as long as there were enough casters and the trainees took enough damage then it wouldnt matter.

Girl

Post by Girl »

I went from like 40-something to 80-something last time.

I'll bring Magda again as a target.

Astinus

Post by Astinus »

I'll be there, but I might be a little late. I'll try to be back by 10:30, but I might not get back until 11-11:30.

I'll be bringing Mazus as a target. I also actually have gold I can donate now, so let me know if we need more resources.

Maleus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Maleus »

I have two people that will definitely be wanting to participate in this and we will also supply our share of regs and casters. Benny, this is just an idea but in order to get as much damage as possible, it might be prudent to be somewhat selective as to how many characters each person can have at the session as well as ask them to have a fairly high level of resist to start out with before they can participate. I would say 80 would be a nice round number to use as it's fairly inexpensive to get there using other methods and relatively expensive to GM from that point. I'm not trying to tell you how to run a session, but given the changes, limiting the number of recipients seems to be the only way to guarantee results. Just my two cents.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Hey, guys. I was wondering if anyone was ever gonna host one of these again. lol...I guess if they are they are keepin them under wraps since they seem to work best with less targets.

I'll be bringing Gallifrean (http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/148603) as a caster. He's a GM Mage.

I'll also be bringing Davros as a target. His resist is currently at 28.3, but I will try to firefield it up before the session.
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Maleus wrote:I would say 80 would be a nice round number to use
With the changes, I'm not sure how effective a session would be to someone so high in the skill already
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

Maleus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Maleus »

bradleycabbie wrote:
Maleus wrote:I would say 80 would be a nice round number to use
With the changes, I'm not sure how effective a session would be to someone so high in the skill already

If not then I'm not sure there is much if any value to the session as you can get from 50-80 with hardly any work or cost whatsoever. The point here is to reduce the cost and time as much as possible in those upper skill ranges where it takes 2000 fs casts to gain 1 skill.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

It's all speculation this far. Although economically wise, I'd tend to agree with Mal that the ideal would be to get those guys already in the lower 80's some additional points, since particularly the last 7 or 8 points to GM are hell, we'll have to see just how efficient and how "far" it will take us.

Maybe it does get stuck at 86, maybe it's better to get the extra points early on (from 55 to 86). I think it will depend on the number of targets, and I would agree, a controlled number, probably under 10 would be ideal. This does not mean we have to limit the number of participants, we could just hold two sessions at diferent venues (if someone could provide an additional place to hold them, ehem-Mal-ehem) or diferent times.

I'd be more interested in concentrating on having casters with GM Mag + GM Eval in order to ensure max dmg, and start seeing what the appropriate number of targets is. We could start with 10, if we see it's not working, the highest/lowest resist targets (depending on what we decide) can start peeling off one at a time.

Also, something to keep in mind, what exactly do we want out of the session? A bunch of players with 85+ resist, or a few with a little over 90 (since even if we go to 5 targets, I don't think we'll get far above 93 or so)? Under this reasoning I'd be more inclined to have more ppl at 85+, and here's why:

Using the Resist Calculator found here, an e-bolt at:

GM magery + GM Eval vs. 55 Resist = Chance to resist 11%; Max dmg 46; Avg dmg 26; Min dmg 5.
GM magery + GM Eval vs. 86 Resist = Chance to resist 40%; Max dmg 43; Avg dmg 24; Min dmg 5.
GM magery + GM Eval vs. 93 Resist = Chance to resist 47%; Max dmg 43; Avg dmg 24; Min dmg 5.
GM magery + GM Eval vs. 100 Resist = Chance to resist 54%; Max dmg 42; Avg dmg 24; Min dmg 5.

Diference between 86 and 93 resist is a whooping 7% chance or resisting the spell. Is that worth 10k MS regs?

Seeing that last session all 10 surviving targets tended to get stuck at 86, and using the same calculator, meteor swarm for 1 target at:

GM magery + GM Eval vs. 55 Resist = Chance to resist 11%; Max dmg 53; Avg dmg 30; Min dmg 6.
GM magery + GM Eval vs. 86 Resist = Chance to resist 35%; Max dmg 50; Avg dmg 28; Min dmg 6.
GM magery + GM Eval vs. 93 Resist = Chance to resist 42%; Max dmg 50; Avg dmg 28; Min dmg 6.

Therefore, I don't know how much more you will gain above 86 since damage is basically the same.

Only one way to find out...show up on friday, and let's see where we go from there.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Quick question, I understand how resist works against say poisoning but how does it work on spells like ebolt? According to your info you have a 54% chance to resist an ebolt thrown by a GM mage/eval int. How much damage does it do if you resist?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Resisted spell = Half damage.

More info here.

Cattie B

Post by Cattie B »

please bring a healer or come with a buddy to watch yer back, get these things figured out BEFORE the session.
We only had 2 healers last time and one lost conn, If I have to bring a char to heal that means one less mage casting.
I have enough bandages at the house, so no need to bring your own, we still have the sheep that Astinus tamed for us the first go round.
We still have about 3k of each reg from last time and Ive bought another 3k of each.
Benny is co owner to the house, so if you have any regeant donations contact him or myself and we can get them set up before hand.
I'll log as many mages as I can to help cast.
See ya'll then 8)