IRC SUGGESTION

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Change it to this

Poll ended at Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:15 pm

DO
45%
DONT
55%
other(Posted below)
No votes

Total votes: 22

Pro

IRC SUGGESTION

Post by Pro »

#secondage becomes player modded (Blackfoot, Sandro, Maybe me + some others I can't think of) and new rules.

#secondagehelp becomes a staff channel where people can go for help.

punk

Re: IRC SUGGESTION

Post by punk »

This is the best suggestion. The main channel should be for the community by the community, there should be a separate place where newbies can ask questions.
Erik [Hu]

Caranthir

Post by Caranthir »

in before lock

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

I think you have this all Backwards! #secondage has been there a long time and Everyone Knows it! and they know where to come for help!
#secondage needs to stay the way it is ...

if People want to community room run by players .. all they have to do is create one!

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Caranthir

Post by Caranthir »

DarkWing wrote:I think you have this all Backwards! #secondage has been there a long time and Everyone Knows it! and they know where to come for help!

if People want to community room run by players .. all they have to do is create one!
People can very easily get help in that channel, let me demonstrate:

<Kain> Any gms on?
<@Braden> Kain: Whats up?
< 2 minute silence >
<caranthir> Kain totally faked you there.
<caranthir> :D
<@Braden> Nah, he PMd me

The policy enforcement in #secondage is completely arbitrary and the community is silenced at the whim of someone's bad mood.

The players ARE the community and they shouldn't have to make separate rooms. If it's truly only a help room than every other conversation should be squelched - but it isn't.
Last edited by Caranthir on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

Sounds fitting, but there are a few concerns. Scamming is bannable in both?
How do bans work or would the mods just have complete power to just ban anyone they didnt like? Nevermore puts up with a lot of crap and does a great job not banning people, far better than I could.
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

#Secondage is just fine the way it is! as the UOSA Community Room If you start having people go to another room for Help they will loose out on this servers Best Assets! ... The Players!

hell we cant even get them to use the #secondagetrade room for the buying and Selling Needs!

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Pro

Post by Pro »

Imo #secondage is the community channel where people should be able to talk about stuff atm its basically just
UO help because you can't talk about pvp or anything not game related.

punk

Post by punk »

DarkWing wrote:I think you have this all Backwards! #secondage has been there a long time and Everyone Knows it! and they know where to come for help!

In theory I agree with you on this, but in practice it never works out that way. You have people split up between channels, not returning to player made channels, etc.

You have the web IRC link on the homepage going straight into the "help channel", rather than the community interaction channel (doesnt exist), and you have all the places on the homepage advertising the "help channel".

In practice, it just doesn't work.

We need the main channel, the one that is advertised on the site, the one web IRC defaults to, to be for the community, by the community. It should have rules, like no racism, excessive language, or general douchebaggery, etc, but you shouldn't be restricted on topics of conversation in the main channel.

I mean UO is fun, and I love talking about UO and playing UO. And I do that in game, on the forums, etc, but IRC is (and always was) about a community shooting the shit on whatever topics they wanted. And yea we do talk about UO for the most part, but forcing the main IRC channel to specific topics is rediculous...
Erik [Hu]

punk

Post by punk »

DarkWing wrote:#Secondage is just fine the way it is! as the UOSA Community Room If you start having people go to another room for Help they will loose out on this servers Best Assets! ... The Players!

hell we cant even get them to use the #secondagetrade room for the buying and Selling Needs!
No one is saying the newbies cant ask for help in the community channel as well. The community channel should be the community just talking about whatever. Even in the middle of the soccer game and soccer conversations I always answer all the help questions that get asked. It fosters a better community that way.
Erik [Hu]

Tabius

Post by Tabius »

Agree
Testimonials

<Derrick> Holy crap, nice spot!
<Derrick> I didn't know you could fit houses on serps

<Braden> Wow, that is a tight placement

<Nevermore> That is AMAZING placement

<Pirul> Dude, Tabius WAS real estate in UOSA

Caranthir

Post by Caranthir »

punk wrote:
DarkWing wrote:#Secondage is just fine the way it is! as the UOSA Community Room If you start having people go to another room for Help they will loose out on this servers Best Assets! ... The Players!

No one is saying the newbies cant ask for help in the community channel as well. The community channel should be the community just talking about whatever. Even in the middle of the soccer game and soccer conversations I always answer all the help questions that get asked. It fosters a better community that way.
Yeah same here. Being treated the way we are, when we give 90% of the support in #secondage, is just disgusting.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

It is remarkable to me, the degree to which IRC is so important to some, and yet, they so frequently sabotage their own interests by acting like children in it.

Caranthir

Post by Caranthir »

Mikel123 wrote:It is remarkable to me, the degree to which IRC is so important to some, and yet, they so frequently sabotage their own interests by acting like children in it.
Uhm, squelching a community because of the desire to arbitrarily enforce rules and then responding to logical arguments with bans seems to be the childish aspect in all of this.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Why is everyone mentioned in your proposed list of mods have an overwhelming number of trash talk posts besides Blackfoot?

Do you honestly think Derrick is going to ever consider giving mod status with anything shard related to someone that was perma banned for selling in game items and gloated about having a friend become a corrupt GM to distribute them?