Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Cannot board a locked ship which has plank extended

Post by Hicha »

Unable to board a plank which has been extended on a locked ship:
ship.jpg
ship.jpg (55.76 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Cannot board a locked ship which has plank extended

Post by Roser »

I remember stealing boats back in the day by waiting for this sort of thing to happen... sneek on then pk them on board.

I'm fairly certain you should be able to board any boat when the plank is out, locked or not.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I agree, I think this may have been changed during UO:R or something to prevent people from stealing boats in trammel.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

I'm pretty sure you could walk on the plank -- thus walk onto it from adjacent land or another ship's plank, but could not double-click and hop onto the plank. Which is exactly how it is here.

For a long while you could lock your planks in the open position (Which you can't here). I thought this changed around the time of UO:R, where to keep your (locked) planks open you had to drop an item onto them.
... you can lock the gangplank while it is in the open position and it can't be used. I do this when I'm hunting monsters, then if I get in trouble it is easier to
target the gangplank to unlock it in a hurry.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.game ... 21cd487c42

This was also used to link multiple boats together.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Players use their boat key on the plank to unlock and lock the it, allowing for ingress and egress. When the plank is unlocked, it can be extended by double-clicking on it, allowing anyone to enter or exit the boat, done by double-clicking the plank or simply walking on or off it if it is close enough to land, such as docks.

When both planks are locked, no one may come board the boat via the planks. The exception is if someone has one of the boat keys, which then allows them to use Recall upon the key as if it were a marked rune.

To avoid people being trapped on boats against their will, a plank may be double-clicked to temporarily extend it for exiting purposes only, even if it is locked.
and a 2003 patch says "Fixed an issue that allowed access to a boat even though the plank was locked. " so it implies that access to boats with a locked plank was never allowed, and there are no patch notes from 1997-2000, or any other time, that deals with planks in this situation.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Review the demo code.