Combat changes needed (Archery)

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Izual
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Combat changes needed (Archery)

Post by Izual »

Just wanted to try to post some facts.

I also found a website that has 'Full Story' of changes from November 99 and up. This may be usefull for the admins.
http://www.gatecentral.com/ultima/docs/ ... er_l12.php

On a side not I think something should really be done to keep archery a part of skill templates. Right now all I see is swords and a few mace. I think i've seen 2 people with archery.

I remember archery back when the game came out in 98-2000. I know it worked a bit differently, and was more effective than it is here.

This is all I could find concerning archery. Please be helpfull with your posts, especially if you have any relevant information.

If you can find any information to help this case please post it.

http://update.uo.com/design_159.html
RawToxic wrote:This ERA or time window existed between the releases of Ultima Online: The Second Age, which was released on October 1st, 1998 and Ultima Online: Renaissance which was released on April 3rd, 2000.

Many game mechanics changes were made to Ultima Online on or after the April 3rd, 2000 release date of Ultima Online: Renaissance which many players at the time did not agree with
Combat Enhancements Mar 27 2000 3:40PM CDT (GMT -06:00)

Archery
The archery skill will be tweaked to balance it and make it more effective in Player vs. Player combat.
The minimum damage on bows, crossbows, and heavy crossbows will be increased.
The maximum damage on bows, crossbows, and heavy crossbows will be decreased a small amount.
The rate of fire will be increased a small amount for bows, crossbows, and heavy crossbows.
The long equip delay for all bows will be tweaked.
Archery will have slight increase in its chance to hit when compared to other attacks.
Issues with hitting while moving and firing will be addressed.
Last edited by Izual on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Combat changes (Archery) and More..

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I think all of those tweaks (chance to hit increase, damage ect) are after out cutoff date. But, according to faust, archer should get a boost with the new swing timer stuff. The big drawback with it here, is the wait time because you cannot use the cheaty 2-second refresh thing like you can with melee weapons. After that patch, supposedly, all weapons will function in the same non-exploit manner. Also archer should get a reduction of 1 second in the delay to fire.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Izual
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Izual »

RawToxic wrote:This ERA or time window existed between the releases of Ultima Online: The Second Age, which was released on October 1st, 1998 and Ultima Online: Renaissance which was released on April 3rd, 2000.

Many game mechanics changes were made to Ultima Online on or after the April 3rd, 2000 release date of Ultima Online: Renaissance which many players at the time did not agree with
That archery fix was a Pre-Renaissance patch. I think it should qualify.

I remember Heavy X Bows, although a bit slower than a Halberd, were heavy hitting weapons (Actually hit harder than a Halberd due to the fact that it was slower).

It was the the alternative equivalency of using a Sword/Halberd. Swords/Archery were the alternatives for hard hitting weapons. And Fencing/Macing were the alternative fast swinging weapons.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I think thats just the timeframe that "T2A" was, but the timeframe used here is actually a smaller portion of t2a. I want to say like Oct99 to Jan2000, but it's slipping my mind atm.

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

Early November 99 is the target date.
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Izual
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Izual »

Yes, Nov '99 is the target date

Although can we rule out anything that was implimented after 'early' November '99. There are things on this server that were implimented after 'November 1999'

OSI didn't work on the the running and shooting fixes until 2000 right before they released renaissance.
Last edited by Izual on Mon May 24, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

I would prefer these changes, as I love archery, but it is after our cutoff date. So shouldn't that avoided? As for things that we use that are after our date. I think these are being worked out. Such as the guild and party chat being removed :(
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

I remember I had archery because it did full damage even if it was parried.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

son wrote:I remember I had archery because it did full damage even if it was parried.
I've found quite a bit a few things that really point to archery damage not being affected by armor in mid 98 at least, not sure about parry.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Not many people had GM parry back then... most of us here who used it were probably using it in UOR, after they gave bucklers a higher chance to block, lower damage absorption, because you had a higher chance for a skill check (I think). I also think that shields blocked DOUBLE archery damage, not zero. As for armor, I couldn't say.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Parry definitely put a serious hamper on archery damage. I also remember that you we're able to block some damage from archery using reactive armor as long as you we're within melee range when the damage was applied..
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Izual wrote:That archery fix was a Pre-Renaissance patch. I think it should qualify.

I remember Heavy X Bows, although a bit slower than a Halberd, were heavy hitting weapons (Actually hit harder than a Halberd due to the fact that it was slower).

It was the the alternative equivalency of using a Sword/Halberd. Swords/Archery were the alternatives for hard hitting weapons. And Fencing/Macing were the alternative fast swinging weapons.
Archery was pretty bad for tank fights during our target timeframe.. there were equip delays which stopped me from even considering it (though it would've been a wonderful skill given my pings at the time). I played on test a lot and I'd occasionally use archery, but that cause test was like 30v30 not 1v1
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

benny-

Post by benny- »

Just more personal memories of the era....

I really don't remember archery being effective for pvp. I remember it being used by some warriors for a ranged attack, on occasion I'd see bards use it as an effective way of keeping mobs on par whilst provoking...I especially remember seeing people using it in the Lost Lands, where you could use the uneven terrain to your advantage....but every use of archery I remember during the era was for pvm.

Actually, I have a story about an archermage during the era....

On Chessy I remember running through Windmere woods (there used to be a really cool RP town tucked away here) when a mage came along and para'd me. Me being quite the newb back then, I dble-clicked my single trapped pouch, to which he para'd again. (Hey trapped pouches cost money, you know...) I was now frozen, waiting in horror for the dreaded explosion/ebolt.

The pk started meditating.

Perhaps he's going to use that devious Explo/Para/Explo/Para combo that had killed me so many times before.... :wink:

Instead he got to full mana and proceeded to cast an Energy Field directly on me. He went to the other side, casting another one perpendicular from the first, locking me in the midst of a giant X.

wtf?

He pulled out a bow. And slowly, shot after shot, dead.

Not the most entertaining story...but a fond memory...one of the most creative ways a pk ever got me back in the day. :D

Only reason I include all of this....I distinctly being surprised when the pk had pulled out the bow....thinking to myself

Wtf, a mage with archery??

I really think that mooky, albeit original way of killing me was the only purpose he had for combining magery and archery. That's not to say it wasn't used in pvp, but it's something I saw once.
- Elisud

Izual
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Izual »

Archery needs to work properly.. bottom line.
Last edited by Izual on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.