Thief template?

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
zaferoff

Thief template?

Post by zaferoff »

I was thinking of a thief template, not using magery in it. Here it is.

100 Snooping
100 Stealing
100 Hiding
100 Stealth
100 Macing
100 Tactics or 100 anatomy?
30 Magery (recalls)
70 healing

Sounded ok in my head. What do you think? Im only using macing and tactics or anatomy incase i come out into a fight. Just enough to get away. Change anything just remember I want gm stealing, snooping, hiding, stealth. and 30 magery.

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Thief template?

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Healing without anatomy is gonna be gimped, as well as fighting skills without anatomy. You really need to decide what you plan to do with this thief. Are you going to stay in town mostly, or are you going to venture out and be a dungeon/field thief? Are you going to steal and defend yourself or steal and run?

It's kinda hard to fit all of those options into one template and make it effective.

Im a believer in Hybrid templates however, meaning not 7xGM and by shaving like 5-10 points off certain skills you probably could find a nice balance.

zaferoff

Post by zaferoff »

Im looking more to a steal and run template. Steal, run, hide by houses, sneak in, steal, recall. That type of thief

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

zaferoff wrote:Im looking more to a steal and run template. Steal, run, hide by houses, sneak in, steal, recall. That type of thief
In that case.

GM Stealing
GM Snooping
GM Hiding
GM Stealth
GM Wrestle
GM Detect
70 Tracking
30 Magery

The Wrestle will keep you from getting disrupted,and the Tracking and Detect will help you find hidden players.

I'd never use this template, because I think magery on this type of character is a must.
If you decide to use magery, you could substitute for the Detect and get some meditation. But it seems you want a cheap character to start playing with.

zaferoff

Post by zaferoff »

Arkosh Kovasz wrote:
zaferoff wrote:Im looking more to a steal and run template. Steal, run, hide by houses, sneak in, steal, recall. That type of thief
In that case.

GM Stealing
GM Snooping
GM Hiding
GM Stealth
GM Wrestle
GM Detect
70 Tracking
30 Magery

The Wrestle will keep you from getting disrupted,and the Tracking and Detect will help you find hidden players.

I'd never use this template, because I think magery on this type of character is a must.
If you decide to use magery, you could substitute for the Detect and get some meditation. But it seems you want a cheap character to start playing with.
yeah pretty much xD sounds good thanks

Bag

Post by Bag »

that template has basically no way to heal. I'm not really sure why you'd go without magery here. I mean even 60 / 70 is cheap enough and of ultimate utility for this class. I would recommend :

GM:
Stealing
Snooping
Hiding
Stealth
Magery
Meditation
Wrestling

if magery is too expensive, you can always do up to 60/70 then finish it later, but I don't really see a way around it.

zaferoff

Post by zaferoff »

Bag wrote:that template has basically no way to heal. I'm not really sure why you'd go without magery here. I mean even 60 / 70 is cheap enough and of ultimate utility for this class. I would recommend :

GM:
Stealing
Snooping
Hiding
Stealth
Magery
Meditation
Wrestling

if magery is too expensive, you can always do up to 60/70 then finish it later, but I don't really see a way around it.
I could easily afford it xD I have almost a 7x gm warrior and a almost Glorious Lord Bard. Im just really lazy :P

Bag

Post by Bag »

if you can afford it and your goal is more stealth and steal-and-run, then I recommend the template I posted.

zaferoff

Post by zaferoff »

Bag wrote:if you can afford it and your goal is more stealth and steal-and-run, then I recommend the template I posted.
What do you really need gm magery for though? Other than gate. Only magery Id use would be for recalls.

Bag

Post by Bag »

well you get the passive benefit of effective healing/curing which could be huge when escaping. If you really want to ditch gm magery, go with 70 and then take 30 tracking.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

The thing that sucks about a warrior thief, is that once people know who you are, and realize that you are a thief (usually after 1-2 steals) they will never stand next to you again.

I made a warrior thief, and it was a waste of time. I then made a thief with healing and magery, and it was a waste of time. Just because I can stay alive near, or kill someone, does not mean that I am getting any of their items when they inevitably run away.

You can do that magics/reflect/invis/purple-pot type thief (think Socks), but realistically that is just a PvPer, and you will spend more on equipment/pots/jewelry than you ever take in by stealing.

Detect hidden is a total waste of a skill unless you are just openly griefing people. As soon as you use it, the other person immediately knows your there, and your chances of stealing/looting or whatever are decreased. If you just wait, they come out of hiding by themselves.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

MatronDeWinter wrote:The thing that sucks about a warrior thief, is that once people know who you are, and realize that you are a thief (usually after 1-2 steals) they will never stand next to you again.
thats what disguise kits are for!

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Detect hidden is a total waste of a skill unless you are just openly griefing people. As soon as you use it, the other person immediately knows your there
Actually, the best part is, people don't always realize it :-) In my experience, only about 25% did.

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

I find detect very useful as well. People think they are so safe while hidden. Find people AFK hidden in dungeons quite frequently. Reveal them, and then have an monster attack and kill them so you can loot guilt free.

Yes, I know the reveal spell can do this as well, but I like to not give away my location if I don't have to.

savage018

Post by savage018 »

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I thought I would post my template and get some opinions on it. I haven't played UO in a long time. I first started back around 99 or 2000 but never played a thief. Here is my current template:

GM Stealing
GM Hiding
GM Snooping
GM Fencing
GM Tactics
GM Anatomy
70 Healing
30 Magery

I wanted to make a thief that had the basics of the thief skills (Stealing, Snooping, Hiding) but yet could still hold his own in combat PvP and PvE. Anyway, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!