Archer bots (and other unattended killing) not era accurate.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Corbin

Archer bots (and other unattended killing) not era accurate.

Post by Corbin »

First off, let me start by saying that I'm not posting this out of anger. I've never even seen an archer bot in game at this point, but we hear enough about them to know they are an issue.

The problem is that any type of bot that would have been in the game in T2A would have been banable being that it's a form of unattended play. While skill gaining is allowed to be macroed, this is macroing actual play which should not be permitted if this shard is to be era accurate.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Archer bots (and other unattended killing) not era accurate.

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Not only do I agree, I propose you add 3x client automatic mining/logging/fishing to the list as well.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Not only do I agree, I propose you add 3x client automatic mining/logging/fishing to the list as well.
Agree and agree!

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Pro

Post by Pro »

^that

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Corbin wrote:First off, let me start by saying that I'm not posting this out of anger. I've never even seen an archer bot in game at this point, but we hear enough about them to know they are an issue.
It's no surprise you haven't seen one. To my knowledge to only "archer bots", if by that you mean characters killing people who are not controlled by a player, have only been seen in very static locations defending houses, and I haven't even seen them for a while.

The "archer bots" which people are referring to is a conplete misnomer, as it's simly a group of stealth archers going around killing. While I understand there might be some rage when someone gets killed this way, this is not really something we can take action on, players are able to work together in UO.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Derrick wrote:The "archer bots" which people are referring to is a conplete misnomer, as it's simly a group of stealth archers going around killing. While I understand there might be some rage when someone gets killed this way, this is not really something we can take action on, players are able to work together in UO.
WHATS GONNA WORK? TEAMWORK!
WonderPets.jpg
WonderPets.jpg (60 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Derrick wrote:
Corbin wrote:First off, let me start by saying that I'm not posting this out of anger. I've never even seen an archer bot in game at this point, but we hear enough about them to know they are an issue.
It's no surprise you haven't seen one. To my knowledge to only "archer bots", if by that you mean characters killing people who are not controlled by a player, have only been seen in very static locations defending houses, and I haven't even seen them for a while.

The "archer bots" which people are referring to is a conplete misnomer, as it's simly a group of stealth archers going around killing. While I understand there might be some rage when someone gets killed this way, this is not really something we can take action on, players are able to work together in UO.
There are definitely a few set up and abused by certain people. Is the amount of people doing it even relevant? :P

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

Hicha wrote:Picture
That picture is wrong. Miller's still alive. :/
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Hicha wrote:
WHATS GONNA WORK? TEAMWORK!
WonderPets.jpg
ROFLMFAO!!

Wonder PWN!!!
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

Derrick wrote:

but regardless of whether they are used often or not, they should be illegal. people may not gather resources afk very often, but its still illegal. you are still benefiting/being rewarded for actions performed by a character not being actively played.

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

marmalade wrote:you are still benefiting/being rewarded for actions performed by a character not being actively played.
As is any macroing. Macroing skills gives you skill points which is also a reward........
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Pac

Post by Pac »

Karik Verlee wrote:
marmalade wrote:you are still benefiting/being rewarded for actions performed by a character not being actively played.
As is any macroing. Macroing skills gives you skill points which is also a reward........

Ok. Ban that too. It would be era accurate.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

the idea behind macroing for skills is based on the fact that people dont want to spend weeks or months training a character to play and be able to compete when they spent so much time on osi doing it. it was purposely made difficult to train a character on pay to play servers because if you had a high end character instantly you wouldnt be paying to play for very long. this is a freeshard which is designed to enable players to experience what gameplay was like without having to spend large amounts of time grinding.

you gain skills afk so that you can actually play the character competitively with other people at an equal level. this is not comparable to gathering resources or pvping afk. make afk skill training illegal and see what % of the playerbase will leave to go and play an inaccurate shard where they can have fun with a trained character without spending months getting to that point.

Pac

Post by Pac »

marmalade wrote:the idea behind macroing for skills is based on the fact that people dont want to spend weeks or months training a character to play and be able to compete when they spent so much time on osi doing it. it was purposely made difficult to train a character on pay to play servers because if you had a high end character instantly you wouldnt be paying to play for very long. this is a freeshard which is designed to enable players to experience what gameplay was like without having to spend large amounts of time grinding.

you gain skills afk so that you can actually play the character competitively with other people at an equal level. this is not comparable to gathering resources or pvping afk. make afk skill training illegal and see what % of the playerbase will leave to go and play an inaccurate shard where they can have fun with a trained character without spending months getting to that point.
Ok since accuracy doesn't matter and you just want cruise-control EZmode-everything why don't we just transition to a Test Center type server where people can just set their skills and stats to whatever they want to? After all, "this is a freeshard which is designed to enable players to experience what gameplay was like without having to spend large amounts of time grinding." apparently.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

well you still have to put effort/resources in to train a character, you just dont have to spend months doing it. again, you cant compare that to afk resource gathering or unattended killing.