Housing or bank inaccurate

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
marvin

Housing or bank inaccurate

Post by marvin »

Nov 23 1999

>Bank Boxes have had their weight limits removed and containers within the bank box will not have a weight limit either. The bank box retains the 125 total item limit and that includes any items in containers within the bank.

>As part of Phase II, the number of secure containers and locked down items will be increased for most house types. The numbers are detailed below.

>...

>These changes, along with the ability to lock down stackable items and the removal of weight restrictions from secure containers and bank boxes, should offer you adequate room to store your most valuable and useful items and decorate your home.
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=1999_Patch_Notes

Currently the shard seems to have something like the Phase 1 housing rules, except with co-owners (not added until nov 23.) and with allowing stackables to be locked down.

The same patch which introduced Phase 2 of the housing also included removal of bank weight limits. This shard seems to have no weight limits on banks.

One or the other should be fixed to be consistent. I also noticed that the Nov 23 patch introduced runebooks, and a lot of other things this shard has. The ability to set skills to locked/down/up is a pretty big one.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Housing or bank inaccurate

Post by nightshark »

marvin wrote:http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=1999_Patch_Notes

Currently the shard seems to have something like the Phase 1 housing rules, except with co-owners (not added until nov 23.) and with allowing stackables to be locked down.

The same patch which introduced Phase 2 of the housing also included removal of bank weight limits. This shard seems to have no weight limits on banks.

One or the other should be fixed to be consistent. I also noticed that the Nov 23 patch introduced runebooks, and a lot of other things this shard has. The ability to set skills to locked/down/up is a pretty big one.
Given that everything else from this patch is in, surely we should have non-restricted weight on secure containers.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

marvin

Post by marvin »

nightshark wrote: Given that everything else from this patch is in, surely we should have non-restricted weight on secure containers.
Not just unrestricted weight, but also higher lockdown/secure limits and also every secure container should take up 125 lockdowns even if it is empty. Items should be able to be locked down in containers (not important because decay wasn't turned on until housing phase 3, but should be in for accuracy), and stackable items should be usable even when locked down.

I abbreviated the notes a great deal because the housing part is pretty long.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Kind've sucks though as everyone would secure their regs which are a pretty big deal when house looting.. though era accuracy should be the most important thing
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

You guys are barking up the wrong tree...

This has been brought up, argued about and decided on.

The housing system is the one we have and will stay because the untangling of it would be much worse than the problem.

marvin

Post by marvin »

Kraarug wrote:The housing system is the one we have and will stay because the untangling of it would be much worse than the problem.
What is there to untangle? The patch notes are very clear and unambiguous. All that is needed is to implement the proper housing phase for this era.

If inaccuracies are "okay" as long as they are to enable house looting or easier pking or things like that then so be it, but I thought this shard claimed accuracy is what settles arguments not what would be the most "hardcore".

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The way banks worked previous to the cited patch was that there was a weight limit, but gold added no weight or item count anywhere within the bank. We have only so far been able to allow gold in the top container to be "uncounted", until time is found to fix this we will not be able to consider implementing he weight restriction for bank boxes.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

marvin

Post by marvin »

Derrick wrote:The way banks worked previous to the cited patch was that there was a weight limit, but gold added no weight or item count anywhere within the bank. We have only so far been able to allow gold in the top container to be "uncounted", until time is found to fix this we will not be able to consider implementing he weight restriction for bank boxes.
Is there any particular reason for housing to be in a state earlier than Nov 23 while all other patches for Nov 23 are in?

Also if it is decided housing should be at an earlier date, it should at least be accurate for some date. Co-ownership and the ability to lockdown stackables did not appear until CUB phase 2. I think it is important to accurately reflect CUB phase 1 housing if that is the chosen target, because friends can not lockdown or release (caveat, they can lockdown or release using a key copy before the patch to use spoken commands Feb 2 1999). This means to share a house or use it on multiple accounts people will have to use only locked doors and not table walls.

Fixing the bank to correlate with the housing will also force people to take their heavy valuable resources like wood and ingots out of the bank. I hope that it is considered at least more important than water barrels.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

marvin wrote:Is there any particular reason for housing to be in a state earlier than Nov 23 while all other patches for Nov 23 are in?

Also if it is decided housing should be at an earlier date, it should at least be accurate for some date. Co-ownership and the ability to lockdown stackables did not appear until CUB phase 2. I think it is important to accurately reflect CUB phase 1 housing if that is the chosen target, because friends can not lockdown or release (caveat, they can lockdown or release using a key copy before the patch to use spoken commands Feb 2 1999). This means to share a house or use it on multiple accounts people will have to use only locked doors and not table walls.

Fixing the bank to correlate with the housing will also force people to take their heavy valuable resources like wood and ingots out of the bank. I hope that it is considered at least more important than water barrels.
Good post, this is a major game changing dynamic.

I don't think forcing people to store gold in the top container of their bank should be a massive issue compared to how game changing what marvin has pointed out is.

DooMGazE

Post by DooMGazE »

nightshark wrote:
marvin wrote:Is there any particular reason for housing to be in a state earlier than Nov 23 while all other patches for Nov 23 are in?

Good post, this is a major game changing dynamic.

I don't think forcing people to store gold in the top container of their bank should be a massive issue compared to how game changing what marvin has pointed out is.

The only way you can realistically work around the 'top' bank container problem is either A: Telling EVERYBODY not to put the gold inside of any other containers OR B: Figuring out how to make it so that gold isnt counted within other containers, which is yet to be done. You guys dont realize the vast amount of scripting and digging, then problem shooting and repairing every little thing takes.

I digress. It troubles me that this person said "we argued about it, and decided on it" as if there will not be any further action taken to make the shard legit era accurate. pfft.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

DooMGazE wrote:I digress. It troubles me that this person said "we argued about it, and decided on it" as if there will not be any further action taken to make the shard legit era accurate. pfft.
I belive this comment was in regard to the housing system cut off, not to address the other inaccuracies.
marvin wrote:Also if it is decided housing should be at an earlier date, it should at least be accurate for some date. Co-ownership and the ability to lockdown stackables did not appear until CUB phase 2. I think it is important to accurately reflect CUB phase 1 housing if that is the chosen target
I agree that we have some inaccuracies in current housing. The ability to lockdown stackable, and the existance of co-owners is something that is very much under consideration currently and have been talked about extensively and verified.

As DooMGazE said, these seem like little things, but they are somewhat time consuming to code and fully test, and although I'm always working on something my time is limited to about 12 hours a day :P

Here's a short list of what is currently on my mind, most of these are Major problems as well:
  • Hopefully for next patch:
    • Guard zone inaccuracies (attacking players in guardzone from outside guard zone and proper distance restrictions on calling guards)
    • Murder count eligibility inaccuracies (no counts with if damage, correct determination of "full health")
    • House placement inaccuracies (esp relating to roads and dirt patches)
    Other future work which may or may not require further discussion:
    • Weapon swing timer inaccuracies (esp archery)
    • Ability to store items in chests in town, and enabling decay in those chests
    • Bank weight limits, and proper exclusion of gold anywhere in bank
    • Locking down stackables in house
    • House Co-owners
    • Books locked down should be usable and writable
    • "Vendor Default Pricing"
    • Oil for lanterns
    • There is a lot more little stuff
I feel like I'm forgetting a few other major issues, but I don't have all my notes here right now.

These are only the issues that are effecting gameplay, there are other administrative, network, website, etc... things that I am working on as well.

This also doesn't include possible issues from dozens of threads that I haven't had a chance to read yet.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

marvin wrote:
Kraarug wrote:The housing system is the one we have and will stay because the untangling of it would be much worse than the problem.
What is there to untangle? The patch notes are very clear and unambiguous. All that is needed is to implement the proper housing phase for this era.

If inaccuracies are "okay" as long as they are to enable house looting or easier pking or things like that then so be it, but I thought this shard claimed accuracy is what settles arguments not what would be the most "hardcore".

What is there to to untangle? There is more to this problem than the number of lock-downs and the ability to have a strong box.

If one would spend a minute to look up the threads about this issue you would find that I certainly argued for phase II accuracy just over a year or so ago. I argued the same points but upon further thought I saw how difficult it would be to de-tangle the current system.

Think about it for a while... The problems I'm speaking about do not deal with player/player interaction but something with how houses are used and I do not want to get into the details.
Last edited by Kraarug on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

DooMGazE wrote:I digress. It troubles me that this person said "we argued about it, and decided on it" as if there will not be any further action taken to make the shard legit era accurate. pfft.
Perhaps the point was that this has been discussed before and that you would find more value in looking up those threads and perhaps picking up where they left off than to start from an unqualified beginning hashing out the same topics and points as if people didn't consider those points before.

Here's a prediction for you to touch on this point...

Code: Select all

Within the next 2 months, there will be a new post about Ghosting..

Someone will make a new post about the need to limit housing and/or active accounts per IPs..

Someone will certainly complain about Razor's abilities..

And, maybe not in 2 months as this topic is usually a 6 month topic, but someone will start an entirely new thread based upon our housing system with shrill cries and demands for UO accuracy justice.
All posted without looking up the other threads about the topic..

What kicks off these topics? Typically there's some Era Accuracy adjustment to another system that gets under someone's skin. If I was to hazard a guess on this latest recurring topic it would seem the disappearance of the Cove banker would be the genesis...

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Kraarug wrote:

Code: Select all

Within the next 2 months, there will be a new post about Ghosting..

Someone will make a new post about the need to limit housing and/or active accounts per IPs..

Someone will certainly complain about Razor's abilities..

And, maybe not in 2 months as this topic is usually a 6 month topic, but someone will start an entirely new thread based upon our housing system with shrill cries and demands for UO accuracy justice.
and then krarrug will crab about the posts again and let the poster know the error of their ways. btw just messin with ya man. :)