What RUINED UO (IMO)

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Grindle

What RUINED UO (IMO)

Post by Grindle »

There is something that has been bothering me lately since joining UOSA. Let me preface this by saying that I started UO in 1997, so I know that what I'm going to mention technically was era accurate.

The problem today is the abundance of gold. Back in the actual T2A era everyone and their mother had not perfected the methods of making gold (ie provoking dragons and such) which made gold a lot harder to come by, as well as houses. The proof is in the fact that running around town you still see many new characters macroing provoking throughout the day. This is why there is no space left for houses, why there are castles and keeps not being used all over the land.

I honestly think this shard needs to create some major gold sinkholes, and cut back the effectiveness of barding.

p.s. It was not era accurate to be able to trap 50 sheep in your house either, back in the day they would disappear if kept inside a house.

Heskey

Re: What RUINED UO (IMO)

Post by Heskey »

Whilst I agree with what you're saying I think this is an issue that can't be helped. UO has been around 13 years now and people now know how to make cash.

Back in the day I shared an account with my 2 brothers, and so had ONE character, who was a melee fighter without even the ability to recall; my way of making money was charging around Shame and making 8k an hour off earth elements; which cost me bandages, repair costs, and often my life & everything in my possession, including my horse...

In the last month however, I took the plunge and made my first provocation mage, having seen how effective that class is for my brothers; and since making this character I can't think of any reason now why I'd log on my melee fighter - I can just make so much more money. I've made more money for myself in the last week from provocation than I ever did in all my time playing UO back in the days of old.

It's like all games - It will become easy once all the avenues have been explored, and people figure out what they need to make what equipment, and what the best ways to make money are.

[quote="jono1994"]ok i really think that u should add on the Elves race but still keep the original format of the game and also put in Necromancy :D[/quote]

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i hear what your saying. maybe some kind of one time event similar to a CUB event to drain some of the gold out of the economy wouldnt be a bad thing. but as far as the real estate market in UO, i think its always going to be screwed unless the population starts to explode here, and demand (and price) for smaller houses goes up substantially. we would probably need like 2000 players online at a time to see this ever happen tho.

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by mrbojangles »

ridiculous sensationalist title.

Barding isn't overpowered at all, in fact it's probably one of the worst pvm templates.

I do agree that this shard needs goldsinks. We're not feeling it so hard right now, but soon enough inflation here will be out of control, since there are practically no goldsinks in this era.
Omar Little(irc) / Mr Bojangles / Bowie / Snake Plisken / Martin Van Buren / Dirty Ore

Visit the The Yew Gate Shop for everything you need.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Grindle wrote:There is something that has been bothering me lately since joining UOSA. Let me preface this by saying that I started UO in 1997, so I know that what I'm going to mention technically was era accurate.

The problem today is the abundance of gold. Back in the actual T2A era everyone and their mother had not perfected the methods of making gold (ie provoking dragons and such) which made gold a lot harder to come by, as well as houses. The proof is in the fact that running around town you still see many new characters macroing provoking throughout the day. This is why there is no space left for houses, why there are castles and keeps not being used all over the land.

I honestly think this shard needs to create some major gold sinkholes, and cut back the effectiveness of barding.

p.s. It was not era accurate to be able to trap 50 sheep in your house either, back in the day they would disappear if kept inside a house.
I don't think this is a "problem" yet at all. Though the abundance of gold is, as you mention, in part due to a better understanding of HOW to make it, it's also due to other things like less server downtime, less lag and disconnections (and thus less deaths and loss of equipment/gold), and even the Help --> Stuck function.

Think about it - a TON of people used to farm in Deceit, or train at the bone knight wall. Most of them bummed a recall off of someone else's rune to get there. When you died in Deceit, you had a 0% chance of getting your stuff back. For one thing, it took forever to run to the shrine and run back (laggy, on foot as a ghost). For another, once you died, someone would inevitably loot your stuff. Then they'd go gray and everyone else at the bone knight wall would lose their mind and start attacking the gray person for the 7 bandages they looted. And you'd be ressurected, naked, and stuck on the island with no way back to your bank or the mainland or anything else. You'd have to bum a gate.

Here, we have alts to gate us, less players and lag and thus the possibility of resurrecting and getting our stuff, and even beyond that we have the option of Help --> Stuck. It's a HUGE time saver.

Also, sheep disappear here as well. Back then, it was a jailable offense to trap an animal or NPC. Here, they decay if not targeted or dealt damage for 20-24 hours.

Lord Cavewight of GL

Post by Lord Cavewight of GL »

The reason for an abundance of gold on this server has to do with a lack of players.

On OSI there was ALOT more players and as a result every single desirable area to farm was picked clean.

BTW I think its very interesting you mention large amounts of housing and the need for a gold sink. Houses are the gold sink, all of these houses decay and when they do a massive amount of gold is removed from the game.

But more to the topic of "what ruined UO" if anything ruined UO it was people listening to the playerbase and implementing their ideas.

Pac

Post by Pac »

Duping, as in hundreds of millions per-server per-day effectively ruined UO.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Why do you guys think there is an abundance of gold here?
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

son wrote:Why do you guys think there is an abundance of gold here?
gold only buys you the amount of regs in its worth of gold..
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

TheEttinKing

Post by TheEttinKing »

Almost every day i give away 300 to 400k gold, all day im spamming buying level 5 tmaps even for the retarded prices so i cant make gold off them.
I have nothing to sink gold into other then rares and most people don't want to sell there awesome rares.

After giving away all that gold at the end of the week i add up my gold stack and its gotten bigger.

I can easily say i have killed more mobs this month then any of you pvp'ers have killed other players in your entire UO career.

Jed Clampett on drugs story By the EttinKing.

Let me tell ya story bout a man named Jed poor man barley kept his family feed then one day he was smoking on a joint and zedd hit him with his truck...Twice.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Sandro wrote:
son wrote:Why do you guys think there is an abundance of gold here?
gold only buys you the amount of regs in its worth of gold..
It also buys you
-housing
-advantage in pvp
-disposable characters
-a hot girl avatar to cook your fish steaks
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Threads like this ruined UO. Stop having a negative attitude and DO something in-game to make it exciting for yourself. There are so many things to do, you just have to explore your options and stop dwelling over little specifics.

spinalcraft

Post by spinalcraft »

I dont really know what ruined UO...

But changing the ruleset of this whole shard into Siege Perilous would feel just right for me.

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

Grindle wrote:This is why there is no space left for houses.
:?:

I've placed eight houses in the last month and have mapped at least thirty more empty spots. It might look full near the big cities but have a wander about and there are lots of spaces.

My 2p for what most ruins UO is the recall spell. Having to actually travel about would encourage far more interaction and play imo. I still use it mind, and am not suggesting it be removed here :)

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Grindle wrote:The problem today is the abundance of gold. Back in the actual T2A era everyone and their mother had not perfected the methods of making gold (ie provoking dragons and such) which made gold a lot harder to come by, as well as houses. The proof is in the fact that running around town you still see many new characters macroing provoking throughout the day. This is why there is no space left for houses, why there are castles and keeps not being used all over the land.
The problem is the fact that monsters spawn just a frequently and the loot tables are nearly identical on OSI however there is about a 1/10th of the players here. This surely will skew the economy severely. It's almost like the spawn rate needs to be slowed or the loot tables edited. everyone on the shard is practically rich, and if they aren't then it takes all of 2 weeks to get there.