My house got looted.

Topics related to Second Age
Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

My house got looted.

Post by Karik Verlee »

Okay so this is day number 9 on this shard. I got a 2 story sunday night, moved in last night got looted that night. I have the house set to private, the front door is unlocked and the two inner doors are locked. I have the key in a secure container in crate by the downstairs door, I macro in the downstairs locked room. I am reading an email switch back to UO and there is a guy in there with me looting my regs. I've figured out that he has got in the door(i saw him running around) then hid and used stealth to get in when i went in.

So my question is this, how can I make sure my house is free of other players when I am going into rooms or am I just going to have to cast reveal all the time?

All home safety tips are greatly appreciated.
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

lownslowneon

Re: My house got looted.

Post by lownslowneon »

There is a really good security guide in the guide section of this forum.

You can lock detect hidden at 0.0 and you'll detect anyone hidden in your house.... my macro releases my tables, moves it and locks it down for me when I run inside... all while doing detect hidden on myself.

It's very unfortunate to get looted... but hopefully you learn from your mistakes.

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

Thanks for the detect hidden idea! I have the upstairs blocked off with tables and a trash barrel with an axe beside it. That is what i did back in OSI t2a, but on this shard Im sharing the house with a friend who i got to play so he needs access to the house as well, and he cant lock stuff down.

I just lost a few hundred of each reg, nothing horrible that can't be rebought. Live and learn.
Last edited by Karik Verlee on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lownslowneon

Post by lownslowneon »

Co-own him....

My brother and I share our two story...we have the tables by our front door...

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i use detect hidden about every 15-20 seconds while im in my house even if i havnt opened any doors
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Krats

Post by Krats »

BlackFoot wrote:i use detect hidden about every 15-20 seconds while im in my house even if i havnt opened any doors

Because we all know Chum has turned off clipping... ~ NOCLIP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noclip_mode
When you play with fire, there is a 50/50 chance something will go wrong, and nine times out of ten it does.
Teph wrote:chum stole a castle, a f**in castle.
Derrick wrote:I hate to see this go unanswered, so I can at least say that I read this, and have no idea myself.

uofuntime

Post by uofuntime »

BlackFoot wrote:i use detect hidden about every 15-20 seconds while im in my house even if i havnt opened any doors
This is what I do too.

I live in a small brick.

To the OP: DETECT HIDDEN! As a home owner it works everytime, because it's your house. When they are revealed, ban. You have to be cautious. Even I try to break into people's houses now...

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Also to note, if someone "pushes you out of the way" while stealthing, they will be revealed.

For this reason, if you own a house that only has a single door, you can stand in the spot 1 tile north of the door and close it. Noone can stealth in if you do that.

If your door is 2 tiles wide, have a macro set up that does "reveal, targetself" and use it the moment you close the doors. There's really no excuse for getting house looted, short of being ganked at your door while you are holding the key. Even then it's a good idea to have some security measures in place if getting looted means *losing everything*.

Put tables down to block, have a character hidden inside that can ban, change your locks every time you go home...
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

What is the reason for this if a house is private and no one is inside when you detect hidden the first time?
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

uofuntime

Post by uofuntime »

Corbin wrote:
What is the reason for this if a house is private and no one is inside when you detect hidden the first time?
I think he is just exaggerating how careful he is. It's like this for me too. Instinctual and like a habit. The paranoid part of me makes me wonder if some glitch made me miss the stealther, although that's really unlikely. I detect hidden in my house like a BPD in WBB.

Populus

Post by Populus »

ImageImageImage
[cA]

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

insane paranoia is the best way to avoid being looted.

BenBrawl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BenBrawl »

Populus posted the link to where the thread shows your houses being looted! i like where you say "what the hell" lol :lol:
Facebook.com/AbsoluteCustomsLLC

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

He seems much nicer on the forums then in person. :)

But all will be okay, I've learned a good lesson only losing a few thousand regs as opposed to all my weapons(that I haven't got yet)

Populus

Post by Populus »

marmalade wrote:insane paranoia is the best way to avoid being looted.
And you have it /= Do relax, marmalade. :roll:
ImageImageImage
[cA]