Horses

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Should we stop horse riding?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 57

Lonebob

Horses

Post by Lonebob »

Ok one thing about UOSA that really takes me out of the whole 1999 experience is horses, or at least everyone on horses. Horses used to be so laggy that they were basically un-usable. So you would see a random roleplayer or two on one but the vast majority were on foot. Do I have to point out the reasons no horses was good. In my humble opinion horses that finally worked were almost as detrimental as Trammel. Not sure about anyone else but with my ping I can't be caught and its just lame how easy it is to run.

Anyone else for exterminating all horses in Britannia? Or maybe manually install lag on horses.

Vortex
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Horses

Post by Vortex »

Lonebob wrote: Not sure about anyone else but with my ping I can't be caught and its just lame how easy it is to run.
I'm confused, if you are on a horse and they are also, how is that different when you are both on foot? If you are faster, then you are faster.

Lonebob

Post by Lonebob »

Vortex wrote:
Lonebob wrote: Not sure about anyone else but with my ping I can't be caught and its just lame how easy it is to run.
I'm confused, if you are on a horse and they are also, how is that different when you are both on foot? If you are faster, then you are faster.
ok 150 ping vs 50 ping on horse is extremely noticeable and the person with 50 ping will always outrun the one with 150. Take away horses and the difference becomes much less noticeable. If you don't believe me then test it yourself with friends and varying pings. All it takes is a couple of races to see the difference.

Faust

Post by Faust »

This has been brought up several times in the past.

Mounts are accurate.

There were people on high speed connections during this era(very small minority of course) but that doesn't exclude the notion. The Pre-T2A era is the best era known for everyone being on dial up. There were also many people that used UOE's fastwalk to run with 0 ping.

The goal of this shard is to replicate the '99 T2A era for the month of November. A modification to horses or their removal completely would create an inaccuracy that is against the goals of this shard.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i dont use a horse
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Lonebob

Post by Lonebob »

Faust wrote:This has been brought up several times in the past.

Mounts are accurate.

There were people on high speed connections during this era(very small minority of course) but that doesn't exclude the notion. The Pre-T2A era is the best era known for everyone being on dial up. There were also many people that used UOE's fastwalk to run with 0 ping.

The goal of this shard is to replicate the '99 T2A era for the month of November. A modification to horses or their removal completely would create an inaccuracy that is against the goals of this shard.
Depends on how ya look at it. All I know is that in 99 I saw a horse every once in awhile. Now I can't do anything after I die until I replace my horse. Lame...and not era accurate. This is the behavior that was around in 2001 and after.

I see so many people bitching(not bad language, they say it on NBC) on the forums about people running and never fighting. This would help in that regard.

Faust

Post by Faust »

This would be social engineering(something that is strongly disregarded here), not mechanical accuracy.

Baja was a lot different. There were very few pvper's that didn't use UOE's fastwalk. A guy by the name of Setzer(now [LoD]Setzer over at http://www.lordsofdeath.com was one of the early high speed connection users of that time period. By the end of 2000 well over half of the server was on broadband. The demographics of each server were very different than others.

I both enjoy and hate mounts at the same time. However, just like the rest of the bad features of this era the bad must come with the good when making a replication of it. This philosophy along with the dedicated staff is what has separated this shard from the rest. By allowing one piece of inaccuracy to slip through the cracks will only open up a never ending gap.

Lonebob

Post by Lonebob »

lol this sucks, I am obviously in the minority on this one so far.

Horses are for baddies that want the option of running off screen when the fight gets hairy. Sad and tragic IMHO. But I guess I'll have to live with it.

Also, horse killed mace fighting tank mages. In the real 99 you saw as many macing tank mages. But in UOSA everyone is a swords tank mage.

People say that we only fix server rules to be era accurate but the site boasts "Second Age is the most accurate emulation of the UO: T2A era online today." So maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't that mean that when I login its like I just went into a time machine?

tenduil

Post by tenduil »

Lonebob wrote:Also, horse killed mace fighting tank mages. In the real 99 you saw as many macing tank mages. But in UOSA everyone is a swords tank mage.

People say that we only fix server rules to be era accurate but the site boasts "Second Age is the most accurate emulation of the UO: T2A era online today." So maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't that mean that when I login its like I just went into a time machine?
This was the experience you had on your shard. On Catskills in '99 with the people I remember it was Swords based weapons not maces.

Are horses era accurate? Yes
End discussion.
Faust wrote: Why are you questioning everything when you are too lazy to find this stuff yourself?
The whole approach on your part is rather ironic. Refuse to do the work in finding the information yourself but rebute anything that is presented to you.
Awesomeness

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

horses are only a necessity for the pvp element of the game, which are the minority of the players.
While I agree that pvp on a horse is rediculous and makes me super dizzy super fast, you dont need one for 95% of gameplay.

I think the diff with maces comes down to widespread player knowledge and equipment. PvPers didnt carry 1/10th of the stuff they do now. (exceptions of course)
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Lonebob

Post by Lonebob »

tenduil wrote:
Lonebob wrote:Also, horse killed mace fighting tank mages. In the real 99 you saw as many macing tank mages. But in UOSA everyone is a swords tank mage.

This was the experience you had on your shard. On Catskills in '99 with the people I remember it was Swords based weapons not maces.

Are horses era accurate? Yes
End discussion.
lol yes horses existing is era accurate, everyone on them...is not...

And guys, you can't lie to me. My server was down constantly and I, like most other addicted losers, would make toons on many other servers. There were few horses there as well.

Faust

Post by Faust »

There is a difference from replicating mechanical accuracy and social engineering. One of these are possible and the other isn't unless you have the blueprints for a time machine. You will never log into any server and be like "hey I'm back on <insert shard here>" where all your friends, enemies, rivals, and everything else socially unique to the server existed. This shard replicate the game mechanics as closely as possible offering a world where you will have a new social experience in the same setting that was possible back then.

There is no other option available really unless you have a time machine as previously mentioned.

Donk

Post by Donk »

I agree, it is pretty lame when you want to kill somebody and they don't even have the decency to stick around and let you kill them. I've had it up to here with people trying to get away. I can't cast AND run, you know.
<Zedd[afk> if theres ever a uosa convention and you pked me once ur getting ran over with a truck

Lonebob

Post by Lonebob »

Donk wrote:I agree, it is pretty lame when you want to kill somebody and they don't even have the decency to stick around and let you kill them. I've had it up to here with people trying to get away. I can't cast AND run, you know.
hehe not try. I get away every time....and its a bummer. Your sad attempt at sarcasm was mildly amusing...meh not really.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Killing people on the run will improve this chance when the original swing timer is fixed by allowing the timer to be consumed while moving unlike now.