Karma System & Gain/Loss inaccuracies

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Karma System & Gain/Loss inaccuracies

Post by nightshark »

There's a bug regarding karma. Once your character has gone into negative karma, NPCs will ALWAYS react as if you have negative karma. Healers will say "thou has strayed from the path of virtue..." and NPC guards will say stuff like "Thou has a suspicious look about thee", even if you're +5 karma rank.

Secondly, the karma system is entirely inaccurate regarding player interaction.

1. You did not gain karma for killing a murderer. This is a loophole exploit for gaining karma indefinitely and was not era accurate (even in late UO:R, you still did not gain karma for killing murderers).
2. You did not immediately lose karma for killing a player. I realise this is actually terribly documented, even stratics pretty much said "we're not sure how karma works regarding murder". Karma was actually lost upon receival of a murder count. This also stopped players exploiting an easy way to -5 karma level.

I paid heavy attention to the way karma loss actually worked on murder counts, and was actually able to note the exact murder count that would take you to -5 karma row, based on playing Siege Perilous (which I found to be the same on regular shards - faction reprieve was able to confirm this).

Which brings me to the system on which karma loss actually worked on murder counts.
-Killing a blue player would not result in karma loss, unless that player actually reported you for murder.
-Karma loss for murder was not based on your current level of karma, NOR the level of the person you murdered. Your karma level AFTER being reported for a murder, depended on your current long term kill count.

For example:
1st murder would take you to somewhere between rude-unsavory. (title: Rude)
2nd murder would take you to somewhere between unsavory-scoundrel (title: Unsavory)
Kill counts 3-4 were both between scoundrel and despicable (title: Scoundrel)
Kill counts 5-9 were "Despicable"
Kill count 10+ was "Outcast" level aka dread lord.

The karma loss on this server is so neglible that I was still "glorious lord" after committing 2 murders in the space of 2 hours. As a result, you pretty much can't have negative karma on this server unless you try.

edited: 6/8/10 - fame/karma gain for killing liches was patched ages ago
Last edited by nightshark on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Eulogy

Re: Karma System & Gain/Loss inaccuracies

Post by Eulogy »

What he said.