Secures question

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Vortex
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Secures question

Post by Vortex »

Ok, I found info on the secures but it appears to be info from November of 1998.

My understanding is the server is looking to be accurate to November of 1999, why are we not using this formula?

http://web.archive.org/web/200002290351 ... gn_37.html

Lord Cavewight of GL

Re: Secures question

Post by Lord Cavewight of GL »

That system is from when items started decaying in houses.

Kind of would lose the whole t2a feel if we had UOR style house rules. :(
EDIT: It is in our target era but its really just part of the start of moving to a UOR ruleset.

Faust

Post by Faust »

This issue has been discussed several times in the past.

The entire month of November '99 isn't being replicated here from my understanding.

We are currently using the housing system before the one that was introduced in '99 as you probably are aware of now.

Vortex
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vortex »

Yeah, I thought you might want to consider this for the same reason they did it back then - item count reduction. It's within the same era, and its just a suggestion, it looks to me like the item count is getting a bit heavy.

And no offense intended, but in your own words...
No, because if you mix and match you're creating an era that never existed in the first place. For example, let's say you throw something in there from February '99 that didn't exist in January '00 while at the same time using something that existed in February '00 that is after that date. This would be conflicting states that creates an era in itself that never existed. This is why a specific cutoff date is selected and simply ends there with no questions asked in most cases. This leaves out personal bias and choosing of what game mechanics should and should not be in effect on the shard(what ultimately kills other shards).

The reason the current date range was chosen was based on the staff believing it's the best time period of the era at it's prime that tends to be more so in the middle ground. Before February '99 there was no insta hit and after January '00 there is no pre-casting. Both of these features are two of the most famous and loved game mechanics of the era that made it so recognizable and well known.
You are using November 99 stuff and using November 98 house rules.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Vortex wrote:You are using November 99 stuff and using November 98 house rules.
The housing system you're referring to was introduced in Nov. 99; On Nov 1 1999 (and the majority of era prior to that) OSI had the same housing system that we do currently.

I agree that we have a Lot of items on the shard, but we're still managing :)

About a third of the items on the shard are newbie clothing and items in backpacks of characters that have less than an hour of play time, or of characters who have not logged in in over a year. There are 72,521 player characters on UOSA, 39,128 accounts, and 4,349,687 items. This works out to an average of 52 items per character, 111 items per account.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

No weight limits on secures would be nice. :)
Just say'n.
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Vortex
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vortex »

Derrick wrote:
Vortex wrote:You are using November 99 stuff and using November 98 house rules.
The housing system you're referring to was introduced in Nov. 99; On Nov 1 1999 (and the majority of era prior to that) OSI had the same housing system that we do currently.

I agree that we have a Lot of items on the shard, but we're still managing :)

About a third of the items on the shard are newbie clothing and items in backpacks of characters that have less than an hour of play time, or of characters who have not logged in in over a year. There are 72,521 player characters on UOSA, 39,128 accounts, and 4,349,687 items. This works out to an average of 52 items per character, 111 items per account.
Understood. Just something to consider.

I have created characters just to get some newbie items. I can store these in my backpack with no concern, or I can put them in my secures chest. With one secure chest limited in weight and items, which do you think I will chose? :)