Horse Stamina

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
brandonsantacruz

Horse Stamina

Post by brandonsantacruz »

I seem to remember horses(and other mounts) only being able to run so far before they had to walk/rest. Anyone else remember this? It would help keep down the half hour fights where ppl run full tilt though town until they run out of bandages.

Derrick

Re: Horse Stamina

Post by Derrick »

brandonsantacruz wrote:I seem to remember horses(and other mounts) only being able to run so far before they had to walk/rest. Anyone else remember this? It would help keep down the half hour fights where ppl run full tilt though town until they run out of bandages.
Aye. We currently don't have stamina loss for running whether mounted or not. As has been discussed elsewhere we will be implementing an accurate stamia loss system soon.

brandonsantacruz

Cool, I look forward to it. Was the stamina loss on foot comparable to that on horseback? I guess that would make food and stamina pots more useful.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

From what I have seen, stamina for horses was fairly limited during T2A. While a horse did offer you greater speed over a greater distance, mounts did indeed run out of stamina (and you took a small loss of stamina as you rode due to the fatiuge of "riding" a horse). The only mention of horse stamina that I really see comes from the UOR patch notes.

Ride-able Animals Fatigue
The exploit that allows a ride-able animal to be refreshed after becoming fatigued will be addressed (that being the "all follow me" exploit). Feeding a ride-able animal food will increase its stamina and all ride-able animals will have the amount of time they can be ridden before becoming fatigued increased (which was increased to the point that you could literally run from one end of the map to the other without stopping).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Mr.T

Post by Mr.T »

Ahhh nooo, I'd just keep it the way it is. In my opinion it's stupid when you run out of stamina gradually unless you are carrying more than your strength can hold.

I guess it's all about the era accuracy though so... go for it

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

I don't recall ever losing stamina on my character while riding, but I do remember my horse running out of stamina. Hence why I always carried food around for myself and my horse.

This is also one reason nightmares were so popular, if I recall correctly. Because they had a much higher endurance compared to regular horses.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

keuse

Post by keuse »

corrrrrrrrrrrrrect mr ronk.
but i never connected feeding horses with givnig them stamina.
i would just sit and wait around, frustrated.

Kylock

Post by Kylock »

keuse wrote: but i never connected feeding horses with givnig them stamina.
It's just like eating food with your character I believe. When you eat, your stamina goes up. So when you hop off your horse and toss it an apple its stamina should go up as well

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Kylock wrote:
keuse wrote: but i never connected feeding horses with givnig them stamina.
It's just like eating food with your character I believe. When you eat, your stamina goes up. So when you hop off your horse and toss it an apple its stamina should go up as well
also, when you are well fed your stamina drops slower...unless its my imagination. I *think* food affects the stamina regen rate as well as giving you the obvious boost in stamina when you eat.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Actually walking with a horse was the same speed as running with your character and didnt drain any of the horses stamina, running with a horse would make the horse lose stamina. Running on a horse never made the rider lose any stamina, which then made it a guessing game for the rider to know exactly when the horse would run out of stamina as there was no gauge indicating that, you simply had to get a feel for it. Horses could only run 2-3 screens before they were out of stamina, but there was a exploit during this era used to instantly refresh horse stamina over and over again infinitely and everyone used it.

Zim

Post by Zim »

Way more than 2-3 screens pretty sure, I wanna say at least 20-30. You could make the yew run to shame, and the horse would start failing right inside.

wisedevil

Post by wisedevil »

I also look forward for era accurate stamina loss, cuz it looks lame u can lose it from mace fighting and low hps only.

brandonsantacruz

Zim wrote:Way more than 2-3 screens pretty sure, I wanna say at least 20-30. You could make the yew run to shame, and the horse would start failing right inside.
It was a while, but to the point where you may not be able to run all the way out of a dungeon. This came into play during running battles, making tracking and detect a little more useful, too.

Zim

Post by Zim »

Yeah, I learned my lesson many a time running into shame seeing a red and being out of stamina.

Purge

Post by Purge »

I thought they didn't add animal stamina until after trammel? I seem to remember a lot of bitching about it and the unfairness to people who had ethies

maybe they just increased the loss tho