UO Nostalgia

Share stories and special moments with the community.
Pacifico

Re: UO Nostalgia

Post by Pacifico »

Lazarus wrote:
Pacifico wrote:I traded my new player ticket range armor to this guy for a chest of regular.. yes regular weapons. I had a rough EA/OSI experience because I played when I was in 5th to 6th grade. I also remember learning what an Ingot was in game, and then heard it in class and thought UO would teach me better than school.

Which it has, school never taught me how to PWN so much as Chumbucket and Associates has.
LOL! Thats so funny. Dude you started playing in the 5-6th grade? Thats pretty good.

Yeah my best friends brothers all played so we played on Chessy with them and AoL Legends. They were in highschool at the time and never wanted to teach us how to play so we were the definition of stupid newbies hehe

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Pacifico wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
Pacifico wrote:I traded my new player ticket range armor to this guy for a chest of regular.. yes regular weapons. I had a rough EA/OSI experience because I played when I was in 5th to 6th grade. I also remember learning what an Ingot was in game, and then heard it in class and thought UO would teach me better than school.

Which it has, school never taught me how to PWN so much as Chumbucket and Associates has.
LOL! Thats so funny. Dude you started playing in the 5-6th grade? Thats pretty good.

Yeah my best friends brothers all played so we played on Chessy with them and AoL Legends. They were in highschool at the time and never wanted to teach us how to play so we were the definition of stupid newbies hehe
Sweet. I played on Chessy too. I was a member of DwB (Dark Warriors of Britannia) one of the biggest guilds on the server at one point.

Ulor

Post by Ulor »

Great Lakes! w00t!

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

First time I logged in, which was in early '99, I made a mage. I had 50 in whatever the two "standard temlplate" mage skills were. 10 str, 10 dex, 45 int (ex-diablo player). The game started me in Magincia by default.

I ran around, lagging like a mofo, and eventually cast magic arrow on a rat. Things went downhill after that, the rat proceeded to completely slaughter my character, and I could not run away due to extreme lag. Killed by a rat under protection of the town guards. How embarrassing.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Arcott Ramathorn

Post by Arcott Ramathorn »

One of my favorite personal stories from UO has to do with a house break-in. My brother in law swindled a house and gave it to me.(another story) Out of the 4 or so people we played UO with only i had a house at this time. We were all total newbs but i handed everyone a key to the house. My one friend would take it with him everywhere he went, including dungeons and other dangerous places. Needless to say he lost the key all the time and we would all have to get new keys. It all became pretty routine and we all expected him to lose the key at this point. We had no clue about putting up a wall in front of the door for security so i kept NO valuables in the house because of the house situation. My friends on the other hand liked easier access to their items and would put boxes of stuff all over. Well, the story happens one night in an apartment that i recently got with my girlfriend. My girlfriend's cousin was sleeping over.(on the couch not with me and my GF :wink: ) We had our phone with the answering machine in the kitchen right next to where the couch was in the living room. Well about 3 am the phone rings and my friend leaves a panicked messege "DUDE, SOMEONE IS BREAKING INTO YOUR HOUSE...PICKUP BEFORE HE GETS IN!!" Well, at 3am and 20 seconds my wife's cousin bangs on the door and is only a tad panicked by the call...I grogily look at her and get the gist.."Rick called...Someone breaking in to house...What should we do?" I just told her..."dont worry about it". I still chuckle to myself thinking of her spending the night on a couch in a strange apartment, with the covers up to her nose waiting for someone to break in.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Haha, that's pretty classic!
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

The first time I logged in, I headed from Sweet Dreams into East Britain, wandering around trying to figure out the controls on my own. I stumbled across an NPC's house, and decided to check it out. Inside the drawers were silverware and plates. Trying to make some quick gold pieces, I tried to take some of the silverware, followed by the message "You fail to steal the item". Just about then, a guard teleported into the same room as I was, and started chasing me lookin' all mad..

I high tailed it out of the building and down the road until I didn't see the guard following me anymore. It was about that time that I decided the stealing skill would be pretty fun. I usually stole gems and runes, because they were the most interesting at the time. By the time they limited item storage in banks, my thief had well over 1000 very worthless items in the bank..

Fun stuff..

MrLuigi

Post by MrLuigi »

My first experience in UO was starting as a newbie and looking at my pack and saying "100 gold that's not much" so I created 4 other characters and dropped the gold behind building so my main would have 500g. Then I started bank stealing.

Got killed by a guard on my first attempt.

Populus

Post by Populus »

Arcott Ramathorn wrote:Wall of text

haha, Oh god that is great stuff.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

My first moments in UO lol...

1998. Started a swordsman called Lance.

Started at the North Side Inn in Brittain. At this time you could actually choose one of many inns in Brittain and possibly other cities! I Walked around the city for a bit and was really impressed by the docks and how there were ships owned by players everywhere. I was also impressed by how it really felt like I was running around in another world. On my way to East Brittain bank i saw people sitting around a fountain. Probably role players. They were all dressed in fancy clothing, some of it was true black. At East Brittain Bank people were casting strange spells and looked to be practicing magery. Learning by doing. One guy even had daemons, wow I thought.

Then ran on east brit road, i killed a few rabbits and got back on the road then met with another person. We both started hunting together, just animals. Skinning them and taking meat(which I would sell to the butcher as per my older brother) and dropping hides on the floor for any tailors(my older brother told me to do this). Then suddenly a guy on a horse approached us, he paralyzes us and I remember because it said "you cannot move!" and I was like "omg!". Then he kills us both really fast and says:

"are you guys new?"

While we're standing there as ghost, me being dead for the first time.

Lol, why he asked if we're new I have no idea. I had a store bought katana and some meat. Lol, yes I was new! :lol:

Later on I learned to hunt in the woods and stay off the roads, as pks were more likely going to be seen there because newbies like walking on roads. I eventually joined a guild after making a few hundred gold by selling meat of animals. I learned about sparing and started spending lots of time in town sparing with guild mates to gain swords. Always using a katana, as I knew it was the best weapon as per my older brother. Eventually I made my way into Deceit, my first dungeon and got completly owned. I didn't know what bone knights were and thought they were similar to graveyard skeletons. I didn't get my loot back, someone gated me out eventually after a long time.

I finally started making lots of gold and learning to pvp/survive when I made my way to Delucia. I managed to get runes marked near the cave and started farming at the city of the dead. Always being ready for the many pks of Lake Superior. The pks a lot of the time would hide on the road(not all pks had swords/tactics). Or they use invis and completely ambush you, it added to the fear...lol they popped out of nowhere.

rouss

Post by rouss »

Lazarus wrote:

I also started to play about that time lol. Actually, many of us did.

My story: One of the shocking moments of my noob stage.

My first character was a Blacksmith/Miner/Alchemist swords warrior with some magery. I would mine all night, make ringmail armor, a sword and go to dungeon. Sitting at school, i would plan what would i do that evening, how many ingots do I need, etc etc. Then I met some guy named ZeroCool which was from my city! We would talk about UO all day long. One day, he absolutely shocked me . He came by in game and said: "I FOUND SOME CATACOMBS COME LOOK!". I couldnt believe him. "Show me", I said. We ran all the way from Britain to Wind. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed through because my Magery skill was not high. Then I trained magery, used every reagent available to get gains. After some time, I made it to Wind. What a pleasure and a sense of accomplishment it was! I explored every corner of Wind, hailed all of the NPCs there, spent much time in the Garden of Wind... Good times.
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

HAHA! I used to be at work and would think about what I was going to do in game when I got home. It really made my day go by faster.

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

Shane2 wrote:My first UO moments were on Siege Perilous as a Bard, I did this at the recommendation of the friend who told me to get the game who said I could make money by causing monsters to attack each other, and it just so happened that my first day in UO was the second day of that server.

I started in Vesper, and spent about 5 minutes siccing dogs and cats on each other. Then I see a guy standing alone near a bridge in town. He has writing over his head that I did not understand above the name "Kainen" are the letters "UDL". I see a bear wandering nearby.

I little light goes "ding!" over my head!

Needless to say, Mr. Bear goes over to meet Mr. UDL. Mr. UDL is evidently very sleepy, as he does nothing to fight back but punch the bear rather ineffectively. When the bear is done, I walk over and click on the body.

Looting this body is a criminal act!

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound as they say.

You have commited a criminal act! Guards can now be called on you!

I remove what looks like some kind of really cool armor (bone chest piece) and some gold. Nobody else was on screen, so I thought it best to hide, which I accomplished by walking under a tree and standing very still, hoping to become one with the tree.
I notice my name has changed color and figure that its not good. My name changes back soon which I take to be a good sign, so I move onwards.

I enter a building with someone called "XXXX the healer". I couldn't distinguish between players and npc's very well yet. so I try to talk to him and get some sort of canned response about not understanding me. I step outside and just then a guy runs up nearby and I see some kind of message about poison over his head. He drops dead.

"Aha!" I think.

I click on his body and see a sword, several pieces of chain armor and some gold. I remove these to the safety of my pack and run like the wind to another of the small islands, where I once again enact my killer hiding strategy of pretending to be a tree. With the money and gear just gained, I find the various npc's, complete a suit of armor, and set out for adventure!

In my first 15 minutes of UO I town killed a guy destined to become one of the major pvp'ers of one of the top PK guilds on the server, and looted enough money and gear to launch myself.

Ahhhh. Good times, good times.
haha, awesome. Kanien was my mentor. Great story.
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

Lazarus wrote:HAHA! I used to be at work and would think about what I was going to do in game when I got home. It really made my day go by faster.
I still do that. I sit at work and think "I'm going to go home & knock out those MIB's & Treasure Maps" but then I just go home and fall asleep.

/oldagesucks.
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Rendar wrote:
Lazarus wrote:HAHA! I used to be at work and would think about what I was going to do in game when I got home. It really made my day go by faster.
I still do that. I sit at work and think "I'm going to go home & knock out those MIB's & Treasure Maps" but then I just go home and fall asleep.

/oldagesucks.
:lol:

I usually just make a list of stuff I have to do like macro resist or something. I spend more time on this forum.