Staying connected

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Staying connected

Post by orionsune »

There are no ports to open for UO. in no way will that affect performance in uo or anything else of that matter. You are just exposing your PC to whatever port you forwarded. It is unlikely that would pose a security issue since you have no server listening on the port or ports you opened, but I would close it anyway just for sake of best practices.

Port forwarding is for applications that expect incoming data on a specific port, i'll use a web server for example. People access a web server by going to it's address, meaning their computer makes an initial request to your webserver running on port 80. Your router would not know where to send the outside computers request unless there was a port opened and forwarded to the PC running your webserver.

In the case of UO, when you fire up UO,then UO is making an initial request to uosecondage.com. When a game or application behind your router making it's initial request to a server, then the return port is negotiated, and the NAT on your router handles the return port that was negotiated. No forwarding needed.

There is some information out there that claims you need to forward a huge range of port for UO, it's on bull hockey, ignore it.

More info at http://www.runuo.com/forums/new-join-fo ... newbs.html this explains port forwarding for a uo server.

The fact that you get timeouts no matter who you are pinging means a few things.

1. Your ISP is having some issues. Go to http://visualroute.visualware.com/ and that will do a traceroute from outside the internet, back towards you. A reverse traceroute if you'd like. Is there any packet loss? If so, then your ISP or another ISP in the line of fire is having issues.

2. Two you have an equipment failure, could be your router, your NIC (on-board or not) or less likely a short in your Ethernet cable. Try plugging your cable/dsl modem directly into the PC and ping again, this was we are removing the router from the equation.

3. You could have an issue in your OS causing erratic behavior of the network. Try doing the same pings from a different computer.

4. Something has changed with your OS recently. Has this problem started recently?

I would start with the easiest and work my way down...