Recall is supposed to have a delay

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Recall is supposed to have a delay

Post by Flash Hardstar »

not in 99.. there weren't many at all. The few you did see you thought were hacking flyin across your screen.
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I never said there many... a majority doesn't nullify the fact that there were people on connections higher than 56k. We aim the replicate the game mechanics of the era and the speed that is allowed now is what was allowed back in the day.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Flash Hardstar wrote:
nightshark wrote:The shard is supposed to be accurate, so if it was the case on OSI then it should be the case here.
You should opt for the max speed cap on horses to be much lower, in an effort to allocate for the lag 56k users experienced... that is accurate... but probobly not favorable.

Just in the same, Derrick mentioned why the delay is as is.. server load.

Start helping promote to gain a larger playerbase :P
If you actually read Derricks post correctly, you'll also note that he said "is believed to be", he never said he was sure of anything.This delay was still in effect in 2003, when I was pinging 40 on ADSL. Felucca servers had practically no server load on them, and I played exclusively in Felucca - the majority of server areas (ie; within a set of server lines) had 0 people in them a lot of the time.

Horse speed was not a mechanic, it was a lag issue. Recall delay was a mechanic, not only a server load issue - as Hemperor has pointed out.
Hemperor wrote:One thing to take into consideration, is the demo... I'm almost positive theres more of a delay there than here, and the demo is all local.
All in all, it does affect the game. When you're disturbing the crap out of someone attempting to recall, you can get them pretty low before they finally get the spell up. If you can kill them in the delay even 5% of the time, that's 5% of recall-escape situations where the mechanic is making a difference. It's even more likely to make a big difference in the event of a gank.

Now, off-topic:
If this server is supposed to replicate late November '99, I was on 56k then and pinged 80 to the server. I could run full speed on a horse. The only time the connection really made a difference was when loading items in a tower, or opening a runebook (as that is the only time you really require more than 5kb/s). Dial up does not necessarily mean you have a shit ping. In december that same year, I got ADSL. I live in New-Fucking-Zealand. We are pretty technologically retarded here, so I don't find it very hard to believe that many Americans were on connections higher than 56k by then.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Marcaeus

Post by Marcaeus »

Flash Hardstar wrote:not in 99.. there weren't many at all. The few you did see you thought were hacking flyin across your screen.
I was bored last night, and was looking into some well known pvp guilds while I played on osi Pacific during t2a (brought back some good memories), and some still have websites intact with ongoing blogs during t2a, and most of the stuff is about frustrations of exploits, hacks, lag, and how lag was going to directly cause exploit during the upcoming uo:r patch for pvp.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Marcus_ wrote:
Flash Hardstar wrote:not in 99.. there weren't many at all. The few you did see you thought were hacking flyin across your screen.
I was bored last night, and was looking into some well known pvp guilds while I played on osi Pacific during t2a (brought back some good memories), and some still have websites intact with ongoing blogs during t2a, and most of the stuff is about frustrations of exploits, hacks, lag, and how lag was going to directly cause exploit during the upcoming uo:r patch for pvp.
Pacific was one of the heaviest traffic shards.. along with Great Lakes and Napa (which I believe were the original 3 servers). Personally I played Oceania and lag was never a problem :P
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Ah I love it. Its just like divinity all over again. First we nerf recall into uselessness, then we offer a gate from bucs den directly into the most popular spawns for the pks.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Stranger wrote:Ah I love it. Its just like divinity all over again. First we nerf recall into uselessness, then we offer a gate from bucs den directly into the most popular spawns for the pks.
Where is this at?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Stranger wrote:Ah I love it. Its just like divinity all over again. First we nerf recall into uselessness, then we offer a gate from bucs den directly into the most popular spawns for the pks.
This server is nothing like Divinity and never will be.

UO Second Age is actually based on the t2a era where Divinity never even resembled it the slightest.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i like the idea of adding a slight delay to recall. it does sound accurate but then again i was a 56k user back during t2a.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The delay will be found on the demo if it exists.

We will have to wait and see until that has been established though.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

any updates on this?

HI IM MIKE

Post by HI IM MIKE »

Faust wrote:Something like this doesn't just solely apply to PKs. There are several different situations that could effect it besides player killing. For example, a fight between two or more guild or virtue war people could be affected by this immensely. The same could be said for fighting monsters even though this is more unlikely in most situations. This is an era accuracy issue that must be resolved much like numerous others in the past and still in the future.
well i'm sure glad you were here to clear that up.
nightshark wrote:I can't comment on going out looking for fights for the sake of fights in the field because it's never been something I've been interested in.

Faust

Post by Faust »

We all are sure glad that you are still contributing so much to this shard.

HI IM MIKE

Post by HI IM MIKE »

Faust:

Last visited: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:27 pm
Total posts: 4334
[3.13% of all posts / 8.06 posts per day]
Search user’s posts
Most active forum: Trash Talk
[ 1489 Posts / 34.36% of user’s posts ]
Most active topic: Choppa X
[ 152 Posts / 3.51% of user’s posts ]

Pot calling the kettle black?
nightshark wrote:I can't comment on going out looking for fights for the sake of fights in the field because it's never been something I've been interested in.

Faust

Post by Faust »

My current most active forum(trash talk) has just recently passed up my past most active forum(suggestions & era accuracy). The difference between you and me is quite clear... Your most active forum(trash talk) is well in the mid 70 percentile area compared to my measily 30 percentile... I have almost just as much posts in the suggestions & era accuracy as I do in the trash talk. Hell, a lot of my posts in the trash talk are related to era accuracy. This is clearly the case in the choppa x(my most active) thread if you actually read through the million posts.

Thanks, son!