Getting guard whacked outside the guard zone.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Rhaps

Getting guard whacked outside the guard zone.

Post by Rhaps »

Something I haven't seen before happened today so I thought I might ask about it in case it is a bug.

I was out in the minoc mines with my thief, disguised as a miner, trying to tempt people into opening the poison trapped 'ore crate' I was dragging around. I made my way into the lower cave and was chatting to another miner when a couple reds recalled into the back of the cave and attacked. With no desire to stay and fight for my miner friends I ran out the cave. I noticed one red cast paralyze on me which was reflected back on him as I exited the cave to the guard zone. By the time I reached the guard zone the other miner, still in cave, called guards and much to my suprise they appeared and killed the red that had attacked me (the other red recalled out at this point). The bit that confuses me is that both the guy that called guards and the red that attacked me were outside the guardzone (still inside the cave). Can someone explain why this happened?
Last edited by Rhaps on Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sandro

Re: Getting guard wacked outside the guard zone.

Post by Sandro »

Honestly, no I cannot.. :?
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Guard zones are a very thin line. The actual message you get "You are now under protection/have left protection of..." is slightly delayed. I know that, especially in the area you described, the zone goes well up into the side of the mountain. You cannot use UOAM/Razor/Kriios to determine the proper placement of the guard zone. The only way you can know for sure is by casting a spell that you cannot normally cast in town (fire field for instance) and then taking paces forward to see where the line begins. Trust me, the guards will NOT teleport outside of the zone to attack a player. You can stand outside of the zone and attack anyone inside without fear of the city guards.

On a side note: The guard zones here are pretty messed up, compared to the OSI servers. I remember that (using moonglow as a referance here), you could stand just outside the fence on the East of the bank and shoot arrows to kill people in town. Pacific and Siege both, had a GM placed sign that warned players of the dangers of standing around in that area.

There are alot of places on UOSA where the zone goes too far, and some places where it is too short.

Edit: Im also testing another alternative that I have in mind, give me a second and I will propose another reason for why this may/may-not have happened. If someone can give me a hand, pm me on irc, need 2 to test it.

Okay, I tested it out. I was thinking that if you were inside the GZ when you performed a criminal act, and then got the "guards can now be called on you" message, then your victim "may" be able to call even if you were just outside the zone. But that is not so. If you are outside of the zone, you cannot get whacked. Just keep in mind that the actual zone-lines do NOT coorespond with when you get the message.

BenBrawl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BenBrawl »

i remember them signs at glow bank, i think they were also on chessy.
Facebook.com/AbsoluteCustomsLLC

Rhaps

Post by Rhaps »

Thanks for that Matron!

Aye I went back and tested the guard lines with a field spell and the guard line does in fact go far further up/into the mountain than the system message would indicate. I guess that's good news for the miners and not so good news for the PKs.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Okay, I tested it out. I was thinking that if you were inside the GZ when you performed a criminal act, and then got the "guards can now be called on you" message, then your victim "may" be able to call even if you were just outside the zone. But that is not so. If you are outside of the zone, you cannot get whacked. Just keep in mind that the actual zone-lines do NOT coorespond with when you get the message.
Yeah that part doesn't make sense; on Atl if you go through a moongate to a place like Magincia that always has serpents and alligators, the moment they aggro on you regardless of how far outside of the guard zone they are, they would get guard whacked the moment you said guards.

Same thing applied with PVP. Plenty of times I had people try to pk me at Yew moongate because they thought I was afk. They'd cast explosion, target me, then try to run away. I'd say guards, then go looking for their body and sure enough a random guard would be 2 or 3 screens away over the pk's body.

None of those tactics work here.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

hiicha wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:Okay, I tested it out. I was thinking that if you were inside the GZ when you performed a criminal act, and then got the "guards can now be called on you" message, then your victim "may" be able to call even if you were just outside the zone. But that is not so. If you are outside of the zone, you cannot get whacked. Just keep in mind that the actual zone-lines do NOT coorespond with when you get the message.
Yeah that part doesn't make sense; on Atl if you go through a moongate to a place like Magincia that always has serpents and alligators, the moment they aggro on you regardless of how far outside of the guard zone they are, they would get guard whacked the moment you said guards.

Same thing applied with PVP. Plenty of times I had people try to pk me at Yew moongate because they thought I was afk. They'd cast explosion, target me, then try to run away. I'd say guards, then go looking for their body and sure enough a random guard would be 2 or 3 screens away over the pk's body.

Explosion would have done no damage to player in the guarded area.

Here is the big point with this:
There was a monumental problem on OSI-UO before T2A, thankfully out of out era. You had to be extremely careful about what you did, who you attacked. I re-checked that above little test just to see if a notorious bug existed here. If a player was attacked, they could run into town, call guards, and the attacker would be killed, even outside of town? Sound okay to you? Well, what people were actually doing is pre-casting recall, luring anyone to attack them (PK's ect), and then bouncing to town, calling guards, and recalling back to collect their loot.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'm concerned that some of the guard lines may have moved in this mornings patch. I've not yet been able to verify this. If so this will be fixed. The only intended guard line move in this mornings patch was the unguarding of cove docks.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Akanigit
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Akanigit »

In moonglow they had that sign for awhile, then built that garden between the bank and the fence.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I seem to remember that happening in the 2000's. They added a garden to the Northmost sheep pen in delucia as well. I know that this moonglow garden was not present on siege the entire time I played there. I think these random gardens or w/e were different on each shard.

Akanigit
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Akanigit »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I seem to remember that happening in the 2000's. They added a garden to the Northmost sheep pen in delucia as well. I know that this moonglow garden was not present on siege the entire time I played there. I think these random gardens or w/e were different on each shard.
I am almost 100% it happened before trammel though. I played some on Atlantic and I do remember it being exactly the same as the one on Pacific. Now Legends seemed to have a different statue there, or maybe it was a green one.

edit: Does the old versions of UOAM show server and guard lines?
edit2:I also found this http://uo.stratics.com/shard/Drachenfel ... fels.shtml

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Getting guard whacked outside the guard zone.

Post by Mikel123 »

I think it was well into Trammel, actually.

The major issue wasn't attacking players, if I remember, it was attacking guards. I killed a guard by the fence at the Moonglow bank; it gave pretty excellent archery gains, since I believe this was during power hour when it was to your benefit to attempt the most difficult possible thing you can.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Mikel123 wrote:I think it was well into Trammel, actually.

The major issue wasn't attacking players, if I remember, it was attacking guards. I killed a guard by the fence at the Moonglow bank; it gave pretty excellent archery gains, since I believe this was during power hour when it was to your benefit to attempt the most difficult possible thing you can.
Your probably right, we used to train archery in deluica by attacking one of the guards that hung out on the Uppermost palasade near the cow fields.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
hiicha wrote:

Explosion would have done no damage to player in the guarded area.

Here is the big point with this:
There was a monumental problem on OSI-UO before T2A, thankfully out of out era. You had to be extremely careful about what you did, who you attacked. I re-checked that above little test just to see if a notorious bug existed here. If a player was attacked, they could run into town, call guards, and the attacker would be killed, even outside of town? Sound okay to you? Well, what people were actually doing is pre-casting recall, luring anyone to attack them (PK's ect), and then bouncing to town, calling guards, and recalling back to collect their loot.
Explosion would do 1 damage. I did it all the time in Yew because of some guys who owned a sandstone there would try to sync on players running by. I'd run up, let them cast, then run back to the zone and call guards when explosion went off.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

So why aren't guards teleporting out of the guard zone? Guards have always worked in this way... if you commit a criminal action against someone who is inside town, you should get whacked regardless of where you are standing (assuming guards are called).

Is there any plan to patch this in?
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE