[Poll] Should Longterm Counts be Added?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

How should murder counts be handled?

Leave all murder counts at 8 hours.
27%
Apply longterm murder counts to the original 40 hrs.
67%
Apply longterm murder counts, but not as high as 40.
6%

Total votes: 83

brandonsantacruz

Re: [Poll] Should Longterm Counts be Added?

Post by brandonsantacruz »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, long term counts with no stat loss is the best way to go. Want to be a pk? Fine, deal with not going to town and being flagged all the time. Stat loss was just to keep the noobs happy that pking, something built into the game, was under control. This kind of thinking led to trammel and the death of UO as we knew it.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

brandonsantacruz wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, long term counts with no stat loss is the best way to go. Want to be a pk? Fine, deal with not going to town and being flagged all the time. Stat loss was just to keep the noobs happy that pking, something built into the game, was under control. This kind of thinking led to trammel and the death of UO as we knew it.
Stat loss was pre-T2A, and way before anything like trammel was ever considered. I really do believe it gives PK's a little notoriety and respect. That's only my opinion, though not trying to open up a debate on the issue of stat loss. The bottom line is that the reason we have stat loss is that it's accurate to the era. The long term counts can go either way since it's accurate either way.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

alatar wrote:you guys kno that rezzing thru stat loss yields a clearing of all murder counts, down to 5, right..? even if yu haev 136 murder counts and die, you can just ressurect, retrain, and be at 5 murders.. that's what i did..
No, I didn't know that. Retraining as an orc, with the expection of resist, is fairly cheap/easy. The big thing is really the town raids. One of our favorite pass times is to charge through town and slaughter anyone silly enough to war us ;-)
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

alatar

Post by alatar »

Ronk wrote:
alatar wrote:you guys kno that rezzing thru stat loss yields a clearing of all murder counts, down to 5, right..? even if yu haev 136 murder counts and die, you can just ressurect, retrain, and be at 5 murders.. that's what i did..
No, I didn't know that. Retraining as an orc, with the expection of resist, is fairly cheap/easy. The big thing is really the town raids. One of our favorite pass times is to charge through town and slaughter anyone silly enough to war us ;-)
It's really not a big deal.. Teh only problem now would be re-training resist with the new patch rules in effect.. The -most- you are going to lose to stat-loss, at any given number of murder counts is 20%, which means at 7x gm you would fall down to 80.0 in all skills.. (This only applies at 100+ murder counts for 20% stat loss)

It's fairly easy to remacro skills, compared to waiting 800+ hours to ressurect just to save your hard-earned skills.. But I think the way UO is being played nowadays people won't leave town/house without being 7x GM. It's just something you have to cope with if you choose to murder..

I mean, if you choose to res in stat, by the time you get around to macroing resist again, you'll already be blue.. It's only 8 hours to drop from 5 to 4, then you can just macro resist on the guard line as easily as you did before..
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Zim

Post by Zim »

I guess I just really don't like Blue-PKs. I'm NOT a murderer, I do like to PVP, but I shouldn't have to go gray to have the jump on a PK, because I know hes a murderer. I shouldn't HAVE to recall away if I don't wanna be a murderer or get a count, the jump they have on me is CRUCIAL to their victory if they always get it.

To those complaining about stat-loss, this actually lets you be red without having stat loss...

To my dear orc friends,
Love you guys,
but seriously you don't need resist in town for PVP so rolling 2 orcs would be ridiculously easy, one for town raids, one red for not, and you can use the same name even.

venox

Post by venox »

malice-tg wrote:i dont think this should be added. the way it is now reds are pks in stat loss with consequences and are the higher lvl of pvp'ers. dying is not an option.

with long terms normal people will be red and water down the purity of murderers.

plus the whole system was meant as a step towards trammel and anti pk / anti social behavior nerfing.

noto pks / blue pks were part of the era. you had to then and shhould now worry about dropping below %50 hps and being fs by an opportunist bue.

don't trammelize the server!
i agree with malice.
exspecially on where normal players will go red.

tis why i suggested the 40 hrs from last kill (or even last kill if red), and not compounded.
thus a red can stay red for longer and quite easilly stay red without stat-loss.

and if a normal player pawns a player that is harrising him and goes red, he doesnt have to wait an entire week for his actions.

Zim

Post by Zim »

You do realize, stat loss is only determined by SHORT TERM COUNT , long term just determines LENGTH of redness...

So if you go red, yes you will have to work off 40 hours. (Oh god a day and a half without UO... If your any good you can play red for a while for fun) On the same note, you wont have stat loss after 8 hours. And really you shouldn't kill innocents anyways to actually get 5 kills, its obviously NOT accidental at this point.

For REAL reds, this wont change anything. ((Like Deacon for example))

Ping-Pong will only affect repeat offenders.

venox

Post by venox »

its not 40 hrs its 40 hrs compounded= 200hrs if you kill 5 ppl.

plus i dont leave my computer on for 40 hours. it would take me a week to macro off 40 hrs or longer.

40 hr is equal to the "average" working week thats a long time...

i do like the idea. it makes a red play a red, but it add up to an excessive amount of time. and would dilute the reputation of been red.

personally i think it should only be 40hr from last kill if red. so a red can keep his status if he chooses and not suffer stats.

while t2a is about keepin it accurate, we want to maximize player interaction whether a good or bad experience...

for myself i can only see the compounded long-term as lessing this.

so if its one or the other i'd say no.

and anyhow the reputation of a pk goes beyond the colour of a name. if you know they are a pk move on.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Just a note, 200 hours to work off red status only applies if you have 9 murder counts. If you have only 5, it will only take you 40 hours to go blue again.

In terms of accuracy, either system is usable, but the short term murder count system was an intended addition to the reputation system. Much like the Thieves Guild, Meditation, Eval, or Anatomy.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

venox

Post by venox »

ahh so it only comes into affect once your red?

thats cool.

but yeah in still not convinced about the compound hrs because it will mean a character can be lost to red status with little chance of bringing him back.

Zim

Post by Zim »

venox wrote:ahh so it only comes into affect once your red?

thats cool.

but yeah in still not convinced about the compound hrs because it will mean a character can be lost to red status with little chance of bringing him back.
One rarely comes back from the Dark side.

Or

Murderers are 4 times as likely to kill again, than someone is to kill once.

Or

Redemption takes Sacrifice.

Why does a murderer EVER have to go back blue? This game allows multiple characters, and PKing brings in money if your any good, Ive easily lost 40ishk in merchandise for my shop to PKs so far.

alatar

Post by alatar »

Zim wrote:
venox wrote:PKing brings in money if your any good, Ive easily lost 40ishk in merchandise for my shop to PKs so far.
yes it does..
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

BloodyBandage

Post by BloodyBandage »

I changed my mind and voted yes for longterm counts...just makes more sense.

SOLO-g

Post by SOLO-g »

disagree with venox and malice, the purity of the PK is NOT in question. good pks stay red, and shity pks i doubt will stay red very long.

ive seen numerous sub-par pvpers go red on this shard (snoop, Mr T, etc) which means that shitty players will randomly go red. and we dont even have the long terms added...
shit-talking is for winners....

Rellik

Post by Rellik »

Murdering is bad, bad, bad!!! So Evil!!!!