Server Latency/My latency/lag issues!?

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Server Latency/My latency/lag issues!?

Post by Chaos »

Have you tried turning off smart cpu reduction ?

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Proudmoore

Post by Proudmoore »

yep - no change

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Proudmoore wrote: I've come to the forums scrounging for answers to this exact issue that I I too have. It almost feels like client lag when it happens, but when it gets bad the game is unplayable. Basically every 2-3 steps, freeze, repeat. Everything takes forever like dbl clicking vendors etc etc. Other times things seem to be ok, but definately not what it would feel like to have 50ms ping and no lag. I've noticed the issue is much worse when on a Horse as opposed to running on foot.

I've not run any ping tests yet, and I will...but I will say that I have the exact same issue when I log into any of the UO:Gamers servers, and I've played other games such as WoW with no client or latency issues. That said, I feel as though this issue is client related, not internet related.

My current internet setup is WEP wireless in my own home (router is 10 feet away in the same room), and I'm running windows XP.
The problem you are describing is definitely a ping issue, nothing client or PC related.

I played WoW for a brief period and you'll have to note that latency is practically un-noticed in that game. You're not necessarily getting good pings, it's just that the game is set up so you don't notice it.

UO is brutal when you are not getting great pings. RunUO is slightly better than the official servers, but even on RunUO, anything more than a static ping of 250 will cause you to pause briefly while running on a horse. On foot, it's more like 300-350. RunUO allows you to send something like 4 packets before waiting for a response from the server (thus, "pausing the game").

Firstly, if you are sitting 10 feet away from your router, there is no reason why you shouldn't plug it in. Wireless always causes ping and packet loss issues. You can get network cable for like $2, so invest ;).

Run ping uosecondage.com -t and check whether your ping is stable, how much packet loss you are getting. If you think you can deal with your ISP (without going nuts over the clueless teenagers on the help desk who will claim "THE PROBLEM IS ON YOUR END!"), try and talk to them about getting the issues resolved. If you have friends, a place of work, basically anywhere that you can do a quick ping of the shard, go for it. Find out which ISP is getting you the best pings, and switch. It seems like an extreme measure to decrease your latency, but as long as you're not locked into a contract, it'd be worth the effort.

And to the people who think smart CPU reduction is the answer to everything - it does not solve latency issues! There are obvious difference between the two (CPU trouble will cause the game to look choppy, latency will cause you to pause every few seconds, and delay object/spell/speech use).
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

TheMessy

Post by TheMessy »

[/quote]
Find out which ISP is getting you the best pings, and switch. It seems like an extreme measure to decrease your latency, but as long as you're not locked into a contract, it'd be worth the effort.
[/quote]

Man I wish I could do this, fucking Comcast bought out the ISP in my town. They were spectacular; playing UO, WoW, or COD:4 I would normally get pings around 15-30, now I am pinging around 75-100+. There isn't anything else except $80 per month 512k DSL bullshit...

I HATE Comcast...

Proudmoore

Post by Proudmoore »

Hi guys,

My issues have been officially resolved !!! I added the MTU value to my regedit to 576 decimal as per the advice in an earlier link posted by Derrick I believe.

Thank you VERY much, my client never freezes now and I'm literally flying on a mount. If anybody has any questions let me know. I know how debilitating it can be to have this issue, it basically makes the game unplayable.

Cheers

Riggs (in game name)