Controlling what grandmaster profession you display

Moderator: Support Moderators

uofuntime

Controlling what grandmaster profession you display

Post by uofuntime »

Hi there, yet another question. So I wanted to display "grandmaster archery" for my character, so I locked my swords and tactics at 99.9. Then, after I gm'd archery, I gm'd swords and tactics. However, now I'm displaying grandmaster warrior! Was it not the first skill you gm'd which dictates what title is displayed on your character? Aurgh! I feel like a fool =(

Lazarus

Re: Controlling what grandmaster profession you display

Post by Lazarus »

Tactics (Warrior) always trump the individual weapons skill. Why did you GM swords AND archery?

uofuntime

Post by uofuntime »

Lazarus wrote:Why did you GM swords AND archery?
... because I like the option of fighting with both swords and bows?

Are you expecting me to be some sort of pvp mage template character? I'm also going to grandmaster cooking! It's at 96.7 (jk)

I mean, it's not like it hasn't been done before. Many people have GM archery + another weapon skill.

e.g.: http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/87920
http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/46571

Variation of this build (combing archery + another weapon skill) is even listed under "pure warrior" http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... re_Warrior

And why shouldn't they? It's another weapon skill that benefits from dex, anatomy, tactics.

:roll:

Thanks for your answer!
Last edited by uofuntime on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

To fix your "GM display" Do the following:

-Open you skills list.

-LOCK your other GM skills

-Make sure your desired skill to display arrow is Up showing that it is still able to "gain"

-Close the paper doll and re-open it. If it still doesn't display properly, log off and log back in. That should do it.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

uofuntime

Post by uofuntime »

Duke Jones wrote:To fix your "GM display" Do the following:

-Open you skills list.

-LOCK your other GM skills

-Make sure your desired skill to display arrow is Up showing that it is still able to "gain"

-Close the paper doll and re-open it. If it still doesn't display properly, log off and log back in. That should do it.
Oh wow thank you. I should try that, if the tactics overriding weapon skill isn't correct. =)

Edit: Wow! It works! Thank you so much! So much for the warrior title overriding weapons title theory! :lol:

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

You're Welcome.

Glad to know I can still help even if I'm not an active player. ^_^
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

uofuntime wrote:

Are you expecting me to be some sort of pvp mage template character? I'm also going to grandmaster cooking! It's at 96.7 (jk)

I mean, it's not like it hasn't been done before. Many people have GM archery + another weapon skill.

Variation of this build (combing archery + another weapon skill) is even listed under "pure warrior" http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... re_Warrior

And why shouldn't they? It's another weapon skill that benefits from dex, anatomy, tactics.

Thanks for your answer!
Just because others are doing it doesn't make it right. Why not use those 100 points towards magery or eval int? You can do whatever you want, GM that cooking if you like, just saying its pretty redundant.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

With a low mana pool, a dexxer who has archery can use their bow to utilize powerful distance attacks more often then he could with GM Eval and Magery alone.

Swords
Archery
Tactics
Magery
Anatomy
Healing
Resist

Not a bad build at all, especially if you are PVM and want to ensure you keep your AR in good shape in case Pks roll in. Archery can be used in PVP as well but its best in combination with another weapon skill in doing so. I wouldn't try to fight someone else with just a bow. Even with Eval with magery the low dex will cost you in the long run.

I would call that a flight mage because you would never engage instead trying to stay out of reach of melee entirely. Not saying it cant be done...to each his own. For PVM an archer mage would be better suited then a hally mage sure.

Using dual melee weapons is also a common thing.

i.e. You know the spears are poisoned so you start off using your Quarter-staff to weaken armor and stamina enough for your poison and spear strikes to be more effective.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

uofuntime

Post by uofuntime »

Lazarus wrote:
uofuntime wrote:

Thanks for your answer!
Just because others are doing it doesn't make it right. Why not use those 100 points towards magery or eval int? You can do whatever you want, GM that cooking if you like, just saying its pretty redundant.
But why use it for magery or eval int? Do you know what my purpose of playing UO is? Is there a goal that I must meet? A boss that I must kill at the end? Sure, I could include some other skill to my template and make a good pvp'er, but that's not why I made this char. Do you not know that there are people who GM camping, begging, and other lesser used skills just for the novelty of it? If you must know, this is a roleplaying char. It's perfectly normal in a rpg game worlds to have warriors who could wield swords and bows. So this is my reason. I could even make a "weapons master" char and gm all weapon/combat skills to fit into that persona. I just found it really obnoxious of you to think that everyone makes chars to be the "most effective" pvp, pvm chars. This is why I do not play WoW. Everyone follows silly templates and make cookie cutter chars. UO--sandbox game, which is why I love it.

If I have COOKING skill as part of my template, 2 weapon skills being "redundant" is the least of my worries.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Do your thing.

benjamin66

Post by benjamin66 »

That's why I got a thief GMed Remove Trap, even it's a totally useless skill.
Roleplay FTW! :lol:

KydVicious

Post by KydVicious »

RIGHT ON!

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

Let the man have is archery!

I don't see anything wrong with that template, he's right... why should we all be hally mages and whatever. That's boring, in fact this is the worst part of the T2A erra in my eyes, the overly strict 7xGM template thing.

Pre T2A when skill gains were less controllable, and stats less controllable and people had less general knowledge of the game I think it was a lot more fun to make characters. Now it's regimented.
Catskills 97-99

Gicod

Post by Gicod »

I agree, let the man have his archery. Afterall, its about fun, archery can be fun. Over the years I have had archery+weapon skill on several characters, and while its usefulness is conditional, every now and then it can be satisfying. On Sonoma my main dexxer was mace/parry/archery (no magery so recalls were scrolls and usually a fizzle-fest at that, but I didnt mind much) and I had a blast with it. One of my favorite "yay for archery" moments was fighting a red near the Bucs portal. I had him redlined and he teleported on top of the portal and decided to take the time to LOL at me thinking he was safe....out came the bow and LOL became OOooOO. Thats the beauty of this game, you can mix shit up all ya want and usually find a use for it all eventually and have a good time.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Archery its is great. My main on OSI is GM archer/mage. Hes a GL and owns in PvM.