Archery any good in pvp?

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Teclis

Archery any good in pvp?

Post by Teclis »

hey there,

im about to start an archermage build, and im curious if its any good in pvp? from what ive seen you need to stand still for quite some time to fire your bow/xbow/hxbow. so i wonder if it has any real benefits in duels or other pvp encounters. i havent seen any archer so far so i guess sword and macemages have the upper hand atm?

really need an advice here since i dont want to spend a few k gold on arrows for nothing :)

thx in advance,

teclis

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Archery any good in pvp?

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

One good thing about archery besides being powerful is that unlike other weapons its timer ticks even when moving. It's good for an intial attack, an attack of oppurtunity, a finisher, or in trying to make a pull away from melee for bandaging or means of escape.

Unless you are making a pure offensive stealth build that preys on weakend players hunting, its best use is a secondary weapon skill in field combat on a dexxer who has virtually no mana.

Where explosion pots are useful they can be as dangerous to the wielder as they are to the target, Archery is safer to the Archer and it can do a considerable amount of damage.

It is also a nice skill to have at sea alongside magery.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Teclis

Post by Teclis »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:One good thing about archery besides being powerful is that unlike other weapons its timer ticks even when moving. It's good for an intial attack, an attack of oppurtunity, a finisher, or in trying to make a pull away from melee for bandaging or means of escape.

Unless you are making a pure offensive stealth build that preys on weakend players hunting, its best use is a secondary weapon skill in field combat on a dexxer who has virtually no mana.

It is also a nice skill to have at sea alongside magery.
thanks for the fast answer :) just one question about the timer: when does it start? when i equip the weapon? to get it right, it works like this: precast explo, equip bow, wait until first shot, unequip, unload explo, cast ebolt, equip bow (it shoots instant now, since the timer should have been ticking while casting ebolt, right?), unequip, unload ebolt.

hope that wasnt too confusing. i still am... somewhat.. since if i remember correclty archery was more like instashooting style back in the days. but i might be wrong there ;)

greets

edit: im planing on having 100 str 25 dex 100 int on this char
Last edited by Teclis on Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Archery doesnt use the wrestling timer so I am afraid insta-hit doesn't work like that with archery.

I believe it resets everytime you rearm it.

If there are any pvp archer tank mages out there who venture out on land they would be doing alot of precasting and running.

I believe there is someone else who can answer this better as far as the technical aspects of archery goes.

I would up dex to at least 40 having 85 intelligence if you want to play with it. If you want to experiment type in test.uosecondage.com in razor to create a test profile. I am sure you'll find a happy medium.
Try this, get a mount stay on the move, make sure to precast and attack anyone on there.

Archery
Tactics
Magery
Meditation 80
Resist 90
Evaluating Intelligence 80
Wrestling 70
Anatomy 80

try it with 100str, 75 to 85 int, and 50 to 40 dex
once you get good take int down to 65 and dex to 60....use pots!!!
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

/Edit

Teclis

Post by Teclis »

ok thanks a lot, didnt know about that testserver. really nice feature!

would still love to hear some voices about archery being viable for a tankmage in pvp or not tho :D

but as it looks like for now, ill probably put archery on my dexer, since i dont like hybrids and really want to play as a tankMAGE rather than on a dexer with eval, and i might even test out that hybrid build on a char later on. thx a lot so far :)

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Archery is crap esp on a tank mage. Only use is for secondary dexer damage.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Teclis

Post by Teclis »

son wrote:Archery is crap esp on a tank mage. Only use is for secondary dexer damage.
ok thats wanted to hear (or not^^). but at least now i know it will be mace or swords first, thx.

Anon

Post by Anon »

stupid,

archery on a mage is fucking useless.

archery on a dexie is a specialized character type... excels @ events and a lot of field pvp action

there is one template that truely excels with archery pvp in mind

//////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\
*edit* im not fucking telling u this.

archery is decent vrs other dexie types IN THAT you can shoot for heavy x large flash damage with psn spell primed (in town) then run up with other weap but it never really wows me @ this.... 1 hand sword psn parryer is the only good town build dexie... you have to specialize your chars.. no one char fux them all up, promise.

on my archer, when i see a macer with full armor playing with both shield and Q staff set up.. i just get on another char. BUT when i see a mage, all like walking around with a force hally/q staff... i giggle with utter fucking delight ^_^

I DARE U 2 DUEL MEH ARCHER

I AM BEST FUCKING ARCHER ON THIS SERVER.

NOW U R EDUCATED.
Last edited by Anon on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anon

Post by Anon »

btw all previous posts before mine, where complete noob bullshit.

i swear lololol

2 MUCH 2 QUOTE AND LIKE TELL WHY, SORRY

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

you forgot you are emo...
which is a wannabe of everything your lil banner is flashin.

And you were probably going to put

Archery
Anatomy
tactics
Eval
magery
Stealth
Hide

Right?

then do a shoot,explo,epot,ebolt combo

Anon

Post by Anon »

incorrecto,

thats a lame stalker build, the only people that run the true archer pvp build is me and THE PERSON THAT COPIED ME, AND I TELL THAT PERSON SO EVERYTIME I SEE THEM AT BRIT BANK... which is occasionally

well... to be honest i copied it from an urk like forever ago... but he sucked @ it and i dunt think he knew how to use it at all.. he just like stumbled on it.

its total field, no stealth or any crap... however invis jewl, tp ring & heavy xbow = luv because u can hold it and they have to wait till u shoot...

as opposed to some crappy exp pot tracker build not allowing u to invis in peace

btw that build you posted is total fragile crap.

*VOMITS BLOOD & GUMMY BEARS*

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

He wanted an archer mage, thats about as close as you can get to one...It would be good in the midst of chaos but not one on one I will say that.
The stealth temp is a mercy killer. If you don't kill with one shot it's bye bye, either got to recall or GTFO of dodge before you are watching UO in black and white.

Return to “Guides”